JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6335|England
SEPTEMBER 09

This is my song to hand in for the end of term on the Sound Design course at Point Blank Music college.
It's based on Beautiful Lies by B-Complex (I love that song, and wanted a go at making something similar). I'm still fairly new to producing. This has had only a basic mix, so its still not finished as of yet. This is the most complex song I have made, and feel I have really improved.
The vocal sample was from Shakira's "Wherever, Whenever".

Comment and rate please guys. Don't be too harsh, I'm a noob at production. EDIT- I forgot to say aswell. As fucking stupid as it is, I haven't listened to this through speakers. I know I should, but I don't have room to set mine up So if there is anything that sticks out in the mix please let me know. Also, I don't know how much bass there is at all. It seems pretty bassy in my headphones, but headphones always do that. So tell me more or less bass ^^

Also, if you want a higher quality version, download from filefront here. Even the HQ on youtube is shit.

DECEMBER 09
So here's my latest one:
http://soundcloud.com/jakmorley/jak-morley-in-my-system

This is an old track I made last year, but I remade it (if that makes any sense?), and added various parts.
The ethereal paddy sort of sound is actually a session guitarist, the vocals a session singer, and various little drum parts were done by a session drummer Many thanks to them all for their input. This is the version of the song I have ATTEMPTED to master. It's not great, I don't work in a mastering house. It was my first attempt. Because of this, it doesn't sound exactly how I wanted it to. Hope you enjoy the song anyway

Some stuff isn't right, but I've lost all interest in the song now, so yeh.

IFFFF I could do it again, I would totally re record the vocal, with different takes. As it happens, the vocal in this song was all done with one take. I really think it could have been so much better with some more takes. But hey ho, I'll learn for next time ^^

Last edited by JakAttaK (2009-12-23 06:17:28)

Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6363|West NY
Tbh I hate the vocal track. Find it quite annoying, actually. Otherwise doesn't sound so bad
robcr9
+111|5990
Sick, love it pal

<3
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6335|England
Cheers Rob. And Haha, cheers Noobpatty ><
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
i'll give this a listen later when i have my good earphones and soundcard at hand. dont really want to make any comment based on laptop speakers!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6463|The Twilight Zone

Uzique wrote:

i'll give this a listen later when i have my good earphones and soundcard at hand. dont really want to make any comment based on laptop speakers!
"Are you listening to sound quality or music itself?" I remember someone asked me this exact question here at BF2s...
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
yeah... i asked you that question about audiophilia.

i cant really 'rate' a drum'n'bass song when im listening to it through tweety laptop speakers with no bass or sub tones, can i? im basically only hearing half of the song. when i asked you that i was commenting on the insane attention to minute details and audio fidelity- i'm just trying to give the song a proper chance and a decent listen. there's a bit of a difference!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5798|Catherine Black
Hmm, it sounds kinda like a chillout DnB track. If you're meaning it to be a rave then it needs to be louder, faster and harsher. You should maybe drop the volume of the bass and up the middles/highs, cause when I turn it up I just get the bass blasting around me and the vocals etc are kinda lost in it.

Aside from that it's really good.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6637|UK
Well I'm clueless when it comes to actually producing music, and I'm not exactly knowledgeable when it comes to DnB - thus from listening to this track I would have no idea that this is one of your first attempts.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that I think it's really good.

Bravo!

I can't really comment on the levels of bass/etc because I'm using the cheapest pair (read: free) of self-repaired speakers in existence. That said, I didn't notice anything obviously out of place.
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6335|England

Finray wrote:

Hmm, it sounds kinda like a chillout DnB track. If you're meaning it to be a rave then it needs to be louder, faster and harsher. You should maybe drop the volume of the bass and up the middles/highs, cause when I turn it up I just get the bass blasting around me and the vocals etc are kinda lost in it.

Aside from that it's really good.
It's an attempt at Liquid Drum and Bass, which is the more chilled side to things.

And I haven't had a proper go at mixing it yet, I will hopefully be doing that on Tuesday, so I will probably post another version and see what people think

Also cheers Liq
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6637|UK
Yeah, sounds similar to the other liquid DnB I have
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6335|England
Well thats a huge compliment Liq
Bevo
Nah
+718|6530|Austin, Texas
I like it.

I'm not an audiophile, or picky, or a huge electro/techno/house junkie, but I like it.
aimless
+166|6134|Texas
Didn't like the vocals. Could use more change to the actual tone, the vocals remain the same through the whole song. Some fancy filter work or distortion might sound cool.

Build ups are cool but after they peak it returns to a flat, normal sounding track.

Keep chopping up the drum loop so it stays interesting.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6702
Legit.

Needs more deep bass. The kinda wave lengths and frequencies that blow womens clothes off.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6509|so randum
i like this.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6335|England
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6637|UK
What bit rate is that link at?
baggs
+732|6214
Will try to bend my ears around it later when i get home, i'll be honest and constructive.
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6335|England
Ta baggs
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6282
Pro sound:awsm:
robcr9
+111|5990
Jak. Do you have a grade for it, someone asked me about it.

Still awesome
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6335|England

robcr9 wrote:

Jak. Do you have a grade for it, someone asked me about it.

Still awesome
What do you mean mate?

And cheers guys ^^
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6165|Vancouver | Canada
That's fucking amazing. Make more.
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6335|England
Thanks very much Defcon

Board footer