Poll

Should people be allowed to indoctrinate their children with religion?

Yes41%41% - 31
No45%45% - 34
I'm Catholic12%12% - 9
Total: 74
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6718
Parents should have the right to share their religion with their children...
Just like parents who share their bitterness with their children...

I never realized how much people that don't like religion...and don't believe in God
and think it's all a scam....Why they spend so much of their time thinking about it?

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-08-31 13:05:16)

Love is the answer
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Some of the points in this topic are so ridiculous I'm having a hard time deciding whether Dilbert is trolling or not. Yes, of course being religious is as damaging to a person as underage sex, drugs, drinking and whatever else he dreamt up.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6544|Texas - Bigger than France

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

I never realized how much people that don't like religion...and don't believe in God
and think it's all a scam....Why they spend so much of their time thinking about it?
Because the religious are not allowed to discuss their beliefs with anyone else.  It is morally wrong.

But for an atheist or agnostic, it's perfectly okay, because they have no morals.

lol

sorry had to

Last edited by Pug (2009-08-31 13:14:26)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

Pug wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Because the religious are not allowed to discuss their beliefs with anyone else.  It is morally wrong.

But for an atheist or agnostic, it's perfectly okay, because they have no morals.

lol

sorry had to
I know you're being sarcastic but your point is solid. The Golden Rule definitely applies. If you don't like being preached to by those who are religious, have the courtesy to refrain from preaching your own point of view where it's not wanted. If someone engages you in debate or is openly preaching to all who will listen then feel free to destroy them .
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6716|US

Dilbert_X wrote:

Raimius wrote:

In no way would I want to live under a government that does not "allow" me to tell my children what I think.
Strange, I'm not allowed to tell people what to think, but other people are simply because they have children.
How is that 'freedom'?
Re-read what I wrote. 

RAIMIUS wrote:

...tell my children what I think.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

Should it be allowed?
Personally I don't think so.

Smokers are not allowed to let kids smoke until they're 16, alcoholics aren't permitted to brainwash their children (OK, except Ireland) and sex maniacs aren't allowed to mess around with little girls to 'prepare' them for adult-hood, but the god-squad are allowed to cut their kids about and start filling their heads with hogwash from the age of zero.

If freedom to practice religion is a freedom then it should be just that.
People should be free to make an informed choice when they are old enough and educated enough to do so.

And frankly I think many problems in the world would cease to be quite so great. We'd probably have a whole new set of different problems but I think its worth a go.

Please vote, and give your reasons.
God, I have no idea how I feel about this. It is a question of who has the greater rights ( if at at all) the parents, or the kids? Got some thinking to do

Excellent thread.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5598|Vacationland

lowing wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Should it be allowed?
Personally I don't think so.

Smokers are not allowed to let kids smoke until they're 16, alcoholics aren't permitted to brainwash their children (OK, except Ireland) and sex maniacs aren't allowed to mess around with little girls to 'prepare' them for adult-hood, but the god-squad are allowed to cut their kids about and start filling their heads with hogwash from the age of zero.

If freedom to practice religion is a freedom then it should be just that.
People should be free to make an informed choice when they are old enough and educated enough to do so.

And frankly I think many problems in the world would cease to be quite so great. We'd probably have a whole new set of different problems but I think its worth a go.

Please vote, and give your reasons.
God, I have no idea how I feel about this. It is a question of who has the greater rights ( if at at all) the parents, or the kids? Got some thinking to do

Excellent thread.
Can't Wait to see your opinion

See parents endoctranating their kids is why I support removing children from their parents are birth and placing them in a state sponsored school which will teach them everything they need to know without indoctrinating them into religion.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

Until the age of 18 the children are property of the parents and subject to any sort of beliefs the parents wish it inflict on them as long as it is not a danger to their health.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Macbeth wrote:

Until the age of 18 the children are property of the parents and subject to any sort of beliefs the parents wish it inflict on them as long as it is not a danger to their health.
Yeah, I gotta go with this.

The options are far too disturbing to even consider.

Thanks
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6502|so randum
Religion at a young age can be fucking dangerous. You see it all too often over here, people will kick the shite out of each other because of religion, but they won't be able to actually identify with their religion.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6550|San Diego, CA, USA
If you say "No" then you are basically having the government outlaw religion.  And in the United States at least we have the freedom to practice a peaceful religion.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6716|US
If you say "No" you ARE saying that freedom of speach and freedom of religion should no longer be tolerated.

Like I said, I would not want to live in a nation where it would be illegal to tell my children what I believe (religiously or otherwise).

Such laws would be antithetical to the very concept of freedom.

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2009-08-31 18:22:32)

LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6381|MN

Narupug wrote:

See parents endoctranating their kids is why I support removing children from their parents are birth and placing them in a state sponsored school which will teach them everything they need to know without indoctrinating them into religion.
I hope you are not serious.

I agree with Macbeth.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6520|Montucky
I'm Catholic.

I served 14 years in the Catholic prison system.

Last edited by S3v3N (2009-08-31 20:11:12)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470
Only if they're not allowed to teach their kids to be atheists, agnostics, or scientologists either.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina
We have the freedom of religion.  Of course they should be allowed to.  I was indoctrinated into being a Methodist, but I became an atheist later.

While indoctrination certainly has an effect on people, most of us can still manage to think for ourselves.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

You are comparing religion to smoking, drinking and sex abuse?
It probably causes as much death and suffering as the above.
The point is its an unnatural lifestyle choice and causes many problems, why inflict it on those who have no choice?
It also does a lot of good. Sure, it may be for the selfish notion of eternal salvation, but I can think of worse things.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Hakei
Banned
+295|5997

JohnG@lt wrote:

Pug wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

lol

sorry had to
I know you're being sarcastic but your point is solid. The Golden Rule definitely applies. If you don't like being preached to by those who are religious, have the courtesy to refrain from preaching your own point of view where it's not wanted. If someone engages you in debate or is openly preaching to all who will listen then feel free to destroy them .
You're making a form of false dilemma here. Religious people believe in a system that is incorrect, children have no idea what to think. How far do we take this? Is it fine to teach a child at home Math/English/Science incorrectly and use the defence that it's 'my choice'? The world doesn't work like that, we need to follow what's true, logical and best fits what we understand, a talking snake is none of those preceding virtues. Hence it shouldn't be taught to anyone who's innocent and easy to suggestion.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6381|MN

Hakei wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Pug wrote:

lol

sorry had to
You're making a form of false dilemma here. Religious people believe in a system that is incorrect, children have no idea what to think. How far do we take this? Is it fine to teach a child at home Math/English/Science incorrectly and use the defence that it's 'my choice'? The world doesn't work like that, we need to follow what's true, logical and best fits what we understand, a talking snake is none of those preceding virtues. Hence it shouldn't be taught to anyone who's innocent and easy to suggestion.
You are stating that all Religion is false.  That is your opinion and not that of many others.  I won't tell you to stop teaching your kids Atheism, and you don't tell me to stop telling my kids about God.  Got it?

Kmarion wrote:

It also does a lot of good. Sure, it may be for the selfish notion of eternal salvation, but I can think of worse things.
That is most definitely not the reason I follow Jesus.  I would bet that 90% of Believers that I know are not following for that reason.  Yes I know there are many that do, but not all.  I think that those that follow because they want eternal salvation are shallow and self serving.

Last edited by LividBovine (2009-08-31 21:56:19)

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Sacrifice and service is done for the soul.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6381|MN

Kmarion wrote:

Yes.  Self serving, sort of.  God serving definitely.  I get a sense of peace about me for doing his work.  Sounds weird till you experience it.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

LividBovine wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Yes.  Self serving, sort of.  God serving definitely.  I get a sense of peace about me for doing his work.  Sounds weird till you experience it.
My parents and I have handed out food to the homeless in November for over twenty years at Metropolitan ministries in Tampa. It is a tradition that I wish we could afford to do more often.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Hakei
Banned
+295|5997

LividBovine wrote:

Hakei wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

You are stating that all Religion is false.  That is your opinion and not that of many others.  I won't tell you to stop teaching your kids Atheism, and you don't tell me to stop telling my kids about God.  Got it?
I don't have children, Atheism isn't something you teach - though I'll continue to spread what 'science' (Shesh, what's that ever done for us?) tells us is true. Don't confuse an opinion with something that's unlikely or subjective - out of the hundreds of religions out there, I have not seen one that demonstrates a clear, precise proof for what it says.

You also say teach, do you really believe in religion? A god? In seriousness? What about the easter bunny? Father Christmas? Do you remember when you found out father Christmas wasn't real? I was very upset that I was lied to. What will your children think when they find out that the possibility of God isn't all that great? I think you lose some creditability after all those hours telling them how great God is.

If I had children, I'd hope they'd come to their own conclusion alone as to the nature of life, I wouldn't depend on my authoritative figure in order to scare a child into believing one thing or another. There's a lot a kid needs to learn before they can fully grasp life itself - I think it's wrong to teach a child something that's a pretty poor opinion put out a few thousand years ago to people who believed the world was flat. Each to his own, or his/hers parent's own in your case.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6381|MN

Kmarion wrote:

LividBovine wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

My parents and I have handed out food to the homeless in November for over twenty years at Metropolitan ministries in Tampa. It is a tradition that I wish we could afford to do more often.
I was generous with time and money a lot before I became a Christian.  It really is different now.  Not trying to knock anyone being generous, just pointing out from experience there is a difference.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6381|MN

Hakei wrote:

LividBovine wrote:

Hakei wrote:

I don't have children, Atheism isn't something you teach - though I'll continue to spread what 'science' (Shesh, what's that ever done for us?) tells us is true. Don't confuse an opinion with something that's unlikely or subjective - out of the hundreds of religions out there, I have not seen one that demonstrates a clear, precise proof for what it says.

You also say teach, do you really believe in religion? A god? In seriousness? What about the easter bunny? Father Christmas? Do you remember when you found out father Christmas wasn't real? I was very upset that I was lied to. What will your children think when they find out that the possibility of God isn't all that great? I think you lose some creditability after all those hours telling them how great God is.

If I had children, I'd hope they'd come to their own conclusion alone as to the nature of life, I wouldn't depend on my authoritative figure in order to scare a child into believing one thing or another. There's a lot a kid needs to learn before they can fully grasp life itself - I think it's wrong to teach a child something that's a pretty poor opinion put out a few thousand years ago to people who believed the world was flat. Each to his own, or his/hers parent's own in your case.
You miss the basis of the argument.  It is bad form to tell parents what and what not to tell their children.  Yes there are limits, but in general people should stay out of telling parents how to raise their children.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard