S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6435|Chicago, IL
For many of us here, it's about time for college to get back into session, I just finished my first full week of classes.  Now, being desperately poor, as most college students are, seems like a good reason to get a job down on campus, but before you do, read this:

This semester, I was fortunate (read: desperately poor) enough to qualify for a federal Pell grant, amounting to about $3000 for the school year.  This sum is about the same amount I would have made by working throughout the school year.  However, any cent I earn is reported to the IRS, and added to our EFC (estimated family contribution).  Essentially, if I choose to work, and earn $3000, It is very likely I will loose the Pell grant, costing me roughly $3000.

The point is, working on campus may cost me more than I earn, and the higher education system in this country is fundamentally flawed, so for anyone here who is considering working through college, do the math first, or you may be making a huge mistake.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6558|Portland, OR, USA
Yeah it doesn't make much sense.  Last year I applied for and got so many outside scholarships that I thought that my university would end up giving me less than they said they would.  I know the same applies for those who choose to work though college. It's a crap shoot man
Chorcai
+49|6636|Ireland
Work off the books ?
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6435|Chicago, IL

Chorcai wrote:

Work off the books ?
Easier said than done, not many "cash only" jobs left
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5988|The Mitten

S.Lythberg wrote:

Chorcai wrote:

Work off the books ?
Easier said than done, not many "cash only" jobs left
Street Corner.
I mean... uhh.... wat?
EE (hats
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6670|Disaster Free Zone
I worked through uni. Earned about 10k a year, which gave me about 10k extra a year to spend on stuff like booze.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6094|eXtreme to the maX
No-brainer - Get a job as a stripper - Cash tips = No IRS

But seriously, its called the welfare trap.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard