farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6537

Ok so i got my new monster puter but it has 64bit vista and whenever i try to install a game like cod4 or crysis it installs ok but when i try to run it it just shuts down saying that it encountered an error and needed to shut down. Basically what I want to know is how do i run a 32bit game on a 64bit platform.

Vista Home Premium
9800GTX+
4gigs RAM
Asus P5KPL-CM Intel G31 Chipset w/6channels
Core 2 duo e7400 2x2.80ghz
650 watt power supply

kthnx
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5795|Catherine Black
I run all my games from 64 bit Vista no problem. I don't think it's the operating system.

650 Watt PSU seems enough to run that, but if it's old it could be worn, and you haven't said a brand, no-brand PSUs generally suck. I'd say it's that.

But before you go out and spend megabux do this. Find the .exe of your game, (For CoD4; C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare) it's called iw3mp.exe. Right click that, and select the Compatibility tab. Check the box "Run this program in Compatibility mode for:" And select Windows XP (SP2). Then click okay, and right click the .exe again and select run as administrator.

Then if that doesn't work, try reinstalling your games. Then come back to us if you're still stuck.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6537

Finray wrote:

I run all my games from 64 bit Vista no problem. I don't think it's the operating system.

650 Watt PSU seems enough to run that, but if it's old it could be worn, and you haven't said a brand, no-brand PSUs generally suck. I'd say it's that.

But before you go out and spend megabux do this. Find the .exe of your game, (For CoD4; C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare) it's called iw3mp.exe. Right click that, and select the Compatibility tab. Check the box "Run this program in Compatibility mode for:" And select Windows XP (SP2). Then click okay, and right click the .exe again and select run as administrator.

Then if that doesn't work, try reinstalling your games. Then come back to us if you're still stuck.
well all this stuff is brand new and the brand on the PSU is casegears so i dont think its that but ill try what you said.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6421|Finland

latest drivers for chipset and graphics card? All updates installed? SP1 and SP2 installed?

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-08-25 15:03:09)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6537

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

latest drivers for chipset and graphics card? All updates installed? SP1 and SP2 installed?
theres sp2 for vista?

and yeah everything is up to date
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6421|Finland

farmerfez wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

theres sp2 for vista?

don't know about sp2 and up to date = does not compute. Yeah there is SP2.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

farmerfez wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

theres sp2 for vista?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6537

shit guess im missing that but i just updated all the drivers today so they are fine but ill grab sp2 then try the compatibility. Cod4 is installing atm so after that ill install sp2.
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6537

Finray wrote:

yay that worked for cod4

i just hope itll work for everything else lol.

Also for crysis since theres 2 folders do i run it from the 64 or 32 bit? Im guessing 64 but im not sure.

BTW SP didnt work for cod4 but idk about that really.
xRBLx
I've got lovely bunch of coconuts!!
+27|6362|England - Kent

farmerfez wrote:

Finray wrote:

yay that worked for cod4

i just hope itll work for everything else lol.

Also for crysis since theres 2 folders do i run it from the 64 or 32 bit? Im guessing 64 but im not sure.

BTW SP didnt work for cod4 but idk about that really.
Yes Crysis runs in 64bit as it needs to enable to run Direct X 10.0 as I do.
Also make sure you have all the game updates.

Nearly forgot to say that 64bit Vista runs down to 32bit but older games running 16bit or lower wont work.

Last edited by xRBLx (2009-08-25 16:44:21)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

jamiet757 wrote:

Hate to say it but that isn't really a monster puter, it is several generations old parts-wise, you could have gotten something faster for about the same price with newer parts. Where did you get it from?
That doesn't help his problem at hand.
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6537

jamiet757 wrote:

Hate to say it but that isn't really a monster puter, it is several generations old parts-wise, you could have gotten something faster for about the same price with newer parts. Where did you get it from?
ibuypower,

i really didnt wana go off and build it myself and it was only like 715 without shipping so not a bank breaker either. Besides its WAY better than me old setup of a 7600gs and 2 gigs so meh.
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6537

For some reason crysis doesn't seem to want to work :*(

Anyone who has crysis running on a vista 64bit home premium system please help .

I really wanna push this computer to the limit.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
Did you try compatibility mode and running as admin?

Also try reinstalling.
jaymz9350
+54|6584

farmerfez wrote:

Anyone who has crysis running on a vista 64bit home premium system please help .

You have some other problem than an OS problem. Not sure what it is but Vista isn't it.

I run those games on Vista Home premium 64 with no issues and no need for compatibility mode, as a matter of fact the only issue I've had with a game on vista 64 was with Silent Hunter and it wasn't the game but the lack of a 64 bit driver for the starforce copy protection (has the same problem in XP 64).
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6537

jaymz9350 wrote:

farmerfez wrote:

You have some other problem than an OS problem. Not sure what it is but Vista isn't it.

I run those games on Vista Home premium 64 with no issues and no need for compatibility mode, as a matter of fact the only issue I've had with a game on vista 64 was with Silent Hunter and it wasn't the game but the lack of a 64 bit driver for the starforce copy protection (has the same problem in XP 64).
It starts but goes to black screen and crashes.

Also I dont know if it's a problem but it doesn't put a shortcut on the desktop and I always thought it did but I didn't think this was a huge issue.

Just got 32bit exe to work and i guess it runs it in dx10 but i dont know if theres a difference or not.

Last edited by farmerfez (2009-08-26 07:45:11)

Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6241|Texas
I think it's a bad windows install. Try doing a complete format and reinstalling vista 64-bit. However, 32bit is just fine now that it has compatibility up to 4gbs of memory.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6745|Toronto | Canada

Yellowman03 wrote:

I think it's a bad windows install. Try doing a complete format and reinstalling vista 64-bit. However, 32bit is just fine now that it has compatibility up to 4gbs of memory.

Isn't that part of what defines a 32bit system?  I dont think it can support 4GB lol
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6537

well i was just playing and the game crashed and it said that some drivers had gone not responding but recovered ok. I just got the drivers yesterday from nvidia so im pretty sure theyre up to date. However right before the crash i was changing a lot of gfx setting while ingame, I don't know if that had sometime to do with it or not but meh it works.
Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6241|Texas

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Yellowman03 wrote:

Isn't that part of what defines a 32bit system?  I dont think it can support 4GB lol
Vista 32bit sp1 supports up to 4gb.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6745|Toronto | Canada

Yellowman03 wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Yellowman03 wrote:

Thats including GFX RAM though, is it not?  So around 3.5 depending on the card
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6537

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Yellowman03 wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

yeah its a 512mb card
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Yellowman03 wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Urrite.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

jamiet757 wrote:

Yellowman03 wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Vista SP1 shows up to 4gb of memory, this was done for people whining that their computer only said it had 3.25GB when they had 4GB. It doesn't actually address all 4GB of memory though, so basically it is lying to you.
Yawn. Wrong. Utterly and stupidly wrong.

It's not lying to you. It SUPPORTS 4GB OF MEMORY. But that means GFX memory as well. So if you have a 640MB GFX card, then naturally you aren't going to see more than 3.4GB of memory. If you have a 1GB GFX card, then you are going to see 3GB, and so on. Sheesh.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

Zimmer wrote:

Yawn. Wrong. Utterly and stupidly wrong.

It's not lying to you. It SUPPORTS 4GB OF MEMORY. But that means GFX memory as well. So if you have a 640MB GFX card, then naturally you aren't going to see more than 3.4GB of memory. If you have a 1GB GFX card, then you are going to see 3GB, and so on. Sheesh.
Let me edit Winstons post so you can better understand what he's saying.

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Vista SP1 shows up to 4gb of memory, this was done for people whining that their computer only said it had 3.25GB when they had 4GB, and 700mB RAM on their graphics card. It doesn't actually address all 4GB of memory though, only the 3.25 it normally would, plus the graphics card RAM,, so basically it is lying to you.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard