War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6722|Purplicious Wisconsin

Uzique wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

subz3r0mkt wrote:

I started off with the demo to join a friend that had already been playing wow since classic. Besides that, my only other interest was to pvp. Once I reached the lv cap, all I did was pvp- bgs/arena; I could care less about raiding, etc. until it practically became necessary when wotlk came out. Later I've found a pro glad to pvp with and reached some high ratings, which was dandy and all but- the pvp balance issues wotlk introduced was the last straw along with getting tired of the endless grinding.

Depending on other circumstances IE: available time to spend from work and a decent schedule, I might consider getting this but... goblins and wolves, whoop-tie do. I'll continue waiting for up coming fps titles to come out.
fuckin werewolves man
As a "PvP'er" I woulda thought the concept of Rated Battlegrounds and all-new PvP content would be promising for you. As for "endless grind", pfft, you played during the era of Arenas and honour-tokens! The old honour-system, personally my favourite, was far more time-intensive and 'hardcore'. It would take someone at least 8-12 hours play per day running pre-mades and winning AB/WSG every 5-10 minutes for an entire week to get the promotion from Rank 13 -> Rank 14. Not to mention the fact that honour diminished, so if you even took a break for one day from the hardcore competition, there was a risk you could slip a rank. Anything from Rank 9/10 upwards really required some dedication and a high-skill and highly-organized premade team. I've played with my fair-share of Gladiators as well and Arena players are all welfare-epic pussies. The time I spent playing with and co-leading the top PvP-guild on my Battlegroup (<Off Limits> from [Misery]) was undoubtedly some of the most crazy over-the-top hardcore gaming I have ever done.

And promising FPS games? Pfft. I challenge you to find an FPS game that can hold your attention and keep you entertained for as long as WoW can! I've competed in all the FPS games worth mentioning as well - TONS of fun - but I haven't been able to sit down and play an FPS game day-in, day-out endlessly since, err, Call of Duty 1 .

Lots of new details are slowly emerging at the moment. For anyone particularly interested I would suggest frequently visiting MMO Champion and World of Raids.com. I'll post up any stuff that is 'big news' as I find it.
Let me know if there is a new Heroic class or profession introduced. Also let me know if they decided to put the Goblin Shredder suit in for Engineer.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479
A new profession has already been announced: Archeology. Don't quite know what it entails yet, but they have said that the only big change being made to Outlands (the TBC continent, which is separate from Azeroth) is that it will have discoverable artifacts and ruins to be dug up by the archeologists. I'm guessing it will compliment Mining/Jewelcrafting/Blacksmithing somewhat, but really it doesn't sound that interesting to me.

As for heroic classes: hopefully none. It's a stupid idea, in my opinion, and the Death Knight has been a pain in the ass for balance and gameplay ever since it was introduced. That and being able to start at level 55 on every server whatsoever is a ridiculous (and lazy) shortcut. People that want DK's should be forced to level an ordinary class up to level 55, and then have the option of initiating the DK quest-line, in my opinion. Just a shit idea from the start.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6789|Great Brown North

Uzique wrote:

People that want DK's should be forced to level an ordinary class up to level 55, and then have the option of initiating the DK quest-line, in my opinion. Just a shit idea from the start.
why wasnt it done like that in the first place?
Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6244|Texas

krazed wrote:

Uzique wrote:

People that want DK's should be forced to level an ordinary class up to level 55, and then have the option of initiating the DK quest-line, in my opinion. Just a shit idea from the start.
why wasnt it done like that in the first place?
it came out as a heroic class in WotLK. Blizzard thought it would be too difficult to have players start from the beginning because they wanted DK's to be apart of the game quickly (tanking and damage). They also made the dranei and blood elf starting areas really easy for BC. It's just to get them up and running. However, you do need a 55 toon to make a DK, and you can only have one per server.
War Man

Uzique wrote:

War Man wrote:

This makes me wish I wasn't banned from WoW. Oh and it is about time they add Goblins. Also what is this Race/Class combinations? Does this mean you can have 2 races or 2 classes?
No, it means that the class-combinations that were previously deemed 'impossible', because of lore or game balance, are now a bit more relaxed.

E.g. Tauren Paladins - Taurens are a race concerned only with nature, doesn't make sense that they discover 'the Light' and become Holy. Night-elf mages are another lore-ruining combination as well, because according to the story of Warcraft, night-elves hate everything arcane (i.e. magical), because addiction to arcane power was what caused the giant war and the origins of the blood-elves. I don't really care much for lore, in fact I don't give a shit about the fantasy-story side of things... my only concern is how it will affect the actual gameplay and balance. I suppose it won't make much of a difference, overall.
https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm/_images/features/raceclassmatrix_en_US.jpg
I do find some of it ridiculous. A Dwarf Shaman? Undead Hunter?
Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6244|Texas

War Man wrote:

Uzique wrote:

War Man wrote:

This makes me wish I wasn't banned from WoW. Oh and it is about time they add Goblins. Also what is this Race/Class combinations? Does this mean you can have 2 races or 2 classes?
No, it means that the class-combinations that were previously deemed 'impossible', because of lore or game balance, are now a bit more relaxed.

E.g. Tauren Paladins - Taurens are a race concerned only with nature, doesn't make sense that they discover 'the Light' and become Holy. Night-elf mages are another lore-ruining combination as well, because according to the story of Warcraft, night-elves hate everything arcane (i.e. magical), because addiction to arcane power was what caused the giant war and the origins of the blood-elves. I don't really care much for lore, in fact I don't give a shit about the fantasy-story side of things... my only concern is how it will affect the actual gameplay and balance. I suppose it won't make much of a difference, overall.
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclys … _en_US.jpg
and another freakin short warrior
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479

Yellowman03 wrote:

War Man wrote:

Uzique wrote:

and another freakin short warrior
To answer your earlier question: they just wanted to ship-out the new heroic class idea to the casual majority. People wanted to be able to buy WotLK off the shelf and stomp around the new content with a new class; Blizzard knew that the casual noobs wouldn't want to level through 55 levels of classic Azeroth content before they could even play with their new toy. Most Death-Knight idiots even felt begrudged to have to play through the 10-quick levels of Outlands again before they could get up to the level-70 'start point'.

Blizzard have stated that the Goblin and Worgen start-zones will be phased and story-driven, just like the Death-Knight quest-chain. Leveling from 1-15 will be just as fast as the 5 levels or so of Death-Knight introductory play were, so to get the new players rerolling from Level 1 up to speed really quickly. People can do 1-60 in 10 hours of /played time now, whereas in the old-days to do 1-60 in anything less than 8 days of /played would be considered 'speed running'. Hell, I remember being the first level 70 Mage on my new-TBC server (Auchindoun) with a played-time of just over 7 days /played, and I AoE-farmed on a massive scale 10 hours a day from level 28->64. It has all just been ridiculously diluted and made easy. If I do resubscribe I'll definitely play the game the way Blizzard have (re)designed it: extremely casually, enjoying the content for what it is rather than for the competitive and 'gotta be the best' element, which simply doesn't exist anymore. You can even get the top-tier epic gear from farming relatively easy and casual Heroic Dungeons now-- and what's more, you can choose whether you want it to be the PvE or PvP orientated set. I remember spending 4 months of life playing like a maniac to access the Grand Marshal PvP epics . And, what's more, with that gear I could kill anyone, easily. Massive crits, huge survivability... the way MMO's should reward hardcore players. Nowadays there is no incentive to get the 'best' gear because a) everyone else has it, so it's an even playing field, meh! and b) Resilience numbs down the PvP combat and makes it more into a Guild-Wars style 'fair' arena match-off than an MMO-style 'Hi I'm better than you, you die now' e-Peen fest.

... I miss the old style! .

Last edited by Uzique (2009-08-25 08:59:57)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6528|Adelaide, South Australia

War Man wrote:

Uzique wrote:

War Man wrote:

My opinion on the new Class/Race combos:

Orc Mage: Makes sense, given that Warlocks are traditionally Mages that strayed into Demonic magic.

Undead Hunter: Sylvannas Windrunner. Yes, she is/was an Elf first, but when you take the animal-related lore out of it, they're basically just archers. (I do agree that they don't fit well, but at least it makes some sense, not to mention Dark Rangers are showing up more often.)

'Holy' Tauren: Actually has something to do with the 'Balance of nature', as Night Elves worship the Moon and now Tauren are moving toward worshipping the Sun (and by extension 'The Light'). 

Troll Druid: From a Nature based standpoint, this doesn't seem to make sense. However, if you take into account that many of the other Troll tribes both worship and can transform into animals themselves, it's an entirely possible choice (I'm interested to see how the lore will change to reflect this).

Blood Elf Warrior: Should've been there from the start.

Human Hunter: High Elves and Humans used to be pretty close, I'm pretty sure some Elven Rangers taught some Humans their craft at one point.

Dwarf Mage: They've never really been a magic based race, I want to see what changes to let this happen (although there is A LOT of dwarves use magic this way, they're mostly Demon/Old Gods based, thus a reason for their powers).

Dwarf Shaman: They were freankin' MADE FROM THE EARTH. The connection is there, but their past doesn't reflect this area too well.

Night Elf Mage: No sense what-so-ever. They HATE the Arcane, not to mention it's this very thing that started all this in the first place. 

Gnome Priest: Should've been there from the start.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479
None of the new class-combinations actually aesthetically or conceptually appeal to me, all lore-based discussion aside.

Gnomes, they're still sexy for Rogue/Mage/Warrior... priest? Nah. Although I may roll one, just because I love the little guys.

All the other combinations would just look stupid, imo. Every race has its clear preferential-classes, e.g. Night-Elf hunter / Human Pally / Tauren Shaman+Druid. I can't see this really making much of a difference, there will just be the usual influx of players rolling them for the sake of it upon release, which will eventually fade out and diminish. On the plus-side of it all, I'm looking forward to the extra diversity!

Oh and the talks of cross-server LFG feature really interests me. Would be great to have a server-crossing match-making tool for instances, particularly the low-level instances that aren't frequented by many people anymore. It's such a shame when you play on only a Medium-populated server and you can't find any groups for leveling instances or elite-quests...

Last edited by Uzique (2009-08-25 09:30:53)

War Man

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

War Man wrote:

Uzique wrote:

My opinion on the new Class/Race combos:

Orc Mage: Makes sense, given that Warlocks are traditionally Mages that strayed into Demonic magic.

Undead Hunter: Sylvannas Windrunner. Yes, she is/was an Elf first, but when you take the animal-related lore out of it, they're basically just archers. (I do agree that they don't fit well, but at least it makes some sense, not to mention Dark Rangers are showing up more often.)

'Holy' Tauren: Actually has something to do with the 'Balance of nature', as Night Elves worship the Moon and now Tauren are moving toward worshipping the Sun (and by extension 'The Light'). 

Troll Druid: From a Nature based standpoint, this doesn't seem to make sense. However, if you take into account that many of the other Troll tribes both worship and can transform into animals themselves, it's an entirely possible choice (I'm interested to see how the lore will change to reflect this).

Blood Elf Warrior: Should've been there from the start.

Human Hunter: High Elves and Humans used to be pretty close, I'm pretty sure some Elven Rangers taught some Humans their craft at one point.

Dwarf Mage: They've never really been a magic based race, I want to see what changes to let this happen (although there is A LOT of dwarves use magic this way, they're mostly Demon/Old Gods based, thus a reason for their powers).

Dwarf Shaman: They were freankin' MADE FROM THE EARTH. The connection is there, but their past doesn't reflect this area too well.

Night Elf Mage: No sense what-so-ever. They HATE the Arcane, not to mention it's this very thing that started all this in the first place. 

Gnome Priest: Should've been there from the start.
I agree with everything. Still abit iffy with the Undead Hunter. Also they probly gave the Night Elf the Mage class as Blizzard wanted to give them a class but the other 3 options wouldn't make much sense, not even Shaman or Paladin would make sense.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6694|Espoo, Finland
Looking forward to Undead Hunter if I ever have time to play this game again
subz3r0mkt
+27|6686

Uzique wrote:

As a "PvP'er" I woulda thought the concept of Rated Battlegrounds and all-new PvP content would be promising for you. As for "endless grind", pfft, you played during the era of Arenas and honour-tokens! The old honour-system, personally my favourite, was far more time-intensive and 'hardcore'. It would take someone at least 8-12 hours play per day running pre-mades and winning AB/WSG every 5-10 minutes for an entire week to get the promotion from Rank 13 -> Rank 14. Not to mention the fact that honour diminished, so if you even took a break for one day from the hardcore competition, there was a risk you could slip a rank. Anything from Rank 9/10 upwards really required some dedication and a high-skill and highly-organized premade team. I've played with my fair-share of Gladiators as well and Arena players are all welfare-epic pussies. The time I spent playing with and co-leading the top PvP-guild on my Battlegroup (<Off Limits> from [Misery]) was undoubtedly some of the most crazy over-the-top hardcore gaming I have ever done.

And promising FPS games? Pfft. I challenge you to find an FPS game that can hold your attention and keep you entertained for as long as WoW can! I've competed in all the FPS games worth mentioning as well - TONS of fun - but I haven't been able to sit down and play an FPS game day-in, day-out endlessly since, err, Call of Duty 1 .

Lots of new details are slowly emerging at the moment. For anyone particularly interested I would suggest frequently visiting MMO Champion and World of Raids.com. I'll post up any stuff that is 'big news' as I find it.
If I had started playing wow pre-bc I would probably have preferred the old school 'hardcore' style pvp rather than what it has progressed to. I understand the amount of work and dedication it took to achieve high end gear/ranks n' such, must have been a blast if you have played competitively in that era. IMO in a perfect scenario where class balance worked in pvp in such a way where it requires more skill to make a comp viable vs fotm to gain an easier chance of being successful would be nice. Compared to how some of the players that re-roll 'face-roll' classes to stay competitive; I prefer to make a viable comp. work.

As far as FPS titles, I'm mainly looking forward to BF1943, BF BC2, COD:MW2, OF2 to keep me entertained until a proper successor to BF2 (BF3?) comes out. Only fps to keep me playing as much as wow did is BF2. : >
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479
so who here is currently playing this? who here is anticipating the expansion? i'm in two minds about it.

undecided as to whether i'll resubscribe to WoW or EVE at the moment.
Smithereener
+138|6325|California

Uzique wrote:

so who here is currently playing this? who here is anticipating the expansion? i'm in two minds about it.

Still playing a fair bit, (warriors are actually quite fun to play, though rage gen as fury spec is kinda unpredictably spikey sometimes, switched to arms) but I'm probably going to tone it down a bit soon enough due to school + work. Still, if I feel I have enough free time, I'll probably look into getting Cataclysm.
baggs
+732|6213

Uzique wrote:

I've been back playing for a couple months, and providing i don't try and play too often, i'm having a lot of fun. Warlock is once again a class to be reckoned with since they fixed the talent tree's and abilities. Tho 11K conflagrates in PvP is a bit OP but who am i to complain.

ToC has been fun, no doubt, cleared that within a couple of weeks but next move will be to clear it on heroic setting, which is certainley no walk in the park. It's been fun going back into Ulduar and trying to complete Hard Mode bosses and tbh, they are a challenge for sure.

VoA has still changed the game beyond recognition, it's the easy mode raid for the partially abled WoW player, everyone 'has an epic' but the majority don't know what the fuck to do with it. Couple that with the badge rewards becoming Emblems of Conquest across the board (yes even in HC dungeons) and everyone is running round with a lot of high level gear (I have three bags of lvl 80 Epics compared to when i raided most of TBC with my Frozen Shadoweave set.). But a couple of encounters in ToC and Ulduar Hard Modes sort the chumps out from the educated players.

Standard requirements for DPS is sitting around 3.5k at the moment, anything below that and you know theres something wrong, but to be fair, the dps nazi's look far too much into recount and judge other players by that alone. And then you got acheivments, a good thing in some ways but it's also fucked the game for newer players. 'Epic' (player equipped with item lvls 213 and above) is pretty much the benchmark acheivment to join any kind of group now at lvl 80. Even for heroics, which is a bit stupid cause it kinda defies the reason for going to heroics.

So as many steps forward WoW took forward, it took a fair amount backwards. But if you can find some good friends, you are set, it's easy to gear yourself well and even if you manage to stay half awake during most raids you will down most of the content anyway.

As for Cataclysm, i'm not sure yet. Will just have to see, either way, i'll play it
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479
ty for the info, baggs. nice to see how the game pans out now.

faction change has finally been launched in europe now, by the way. america has had it for about 2-3 weeks. £20! horde<->alliance.
baggs
+732|6213

Uzique wrote:

ty for the info, baggs. nice to see how the game pans out now.

faction change has finally been launched in europe now, by the way. america has had it for about 2-3 weeks. £20! horde<->alliance.
Faction change is actually available now? If so, i'll be changing as soon as possible tho the danger is that as bad as Alliance are at everything, if too many change faction Horde will be just as bad right?

I also think i want to change server also, SH is overwhelmed with Swedish kidz and idiotic players, its must be one of the most awful servers in the whole EU to be playing on. Any recommendations?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard