Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6539|San Diego, CA, USA
I'm curious what you guys have done to get your home sold?  What can you expect?  What pitfalls to avoid?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6672|Disaster Free Zone
As in:
How do I present it nicely to get as many interested buyers and a higher price?
OR what are the legal requirements for putting it on the market and actually selling?
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6165|Sydney | ♥

Parents have sold a few times...

Obviously you need a dealer...

Get a pro photographer to take some sexy shots

On inspections, make sure the house is REALLY clean and CLUTTER FREE

If you're moving soon, obviously if you're selling... pack up the shit, put it in boxes, and hire a garage for a month... a clutter free house sells.

gl m8
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

Get an agent. On average they sell over 20% higher than unrepresented sellers.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6165|Sydney | ♥

Kmarion wrote:

Not as high as i thought it would be
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

tazz. wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Not as high as i thought it would be
Point is they more you more than their commission.. It varies.. get a good agent.

note: we are in a depressed market.. 20% is good.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
The best time to sell your home is the second quarter.  Winter is the worst.  I wonder if I should sit on my property til next year?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

Home sales always go up in the summer. The competition also increases. People prefer to make their move outside of the school year. They don't want to pull their kids out of school mid year.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
How accurate is Zillow?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

Not too bad.. They don't take a lot into consideration though. Lot size, condition, upgrades,  etc.. Is your property appraiser online? See what they have your home assessed at.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Lai
+186|6141
My first advice would be not to sell your house at all and wait about 3.5 years. I figure in California that will easily earn you a few tens of thousands.

Kmarion wrote:

Here in Holland they charge 10% to be paid for by the buyers which means you can ask 10% less. That is not included any additional costs you are charged. That considering I find a +20% average not enough ton justify getting one. If I can do at least half as good myself, I'm better off.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6640

Lai wrote:

My first advice would be not to sell your house at all and wait about 3.5 years. I figure in California that will easily earn you a few tens of thousands.

Kmarion wrote:

Here in Holland they charge 10% to be paid for by the buyers which means you can ask 10% less. That is not included any additional costs you are charged. That considering I find a +20% average not enough ton justify getting one. If I can do at least half as good myself, I'm better off.
That's not right. When buying a house you have 10% of the house in costs. 2-3% for the realtor, a few more percent for the lawyers, and a few more in tax.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6401|'Murka

Harmor wrote:

I'm curious what you guys have done to get your home sold?  What can you expect?  What pitfalls to avoid?
Followed the advice of my realtor. Spruce up the outside for curb appeal. Paint the door, eaves, etc.

Sold my house for the asking price in a declining market in 2.5 days.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
jsnipy
+3,276|6513|...

We have a close friend of the family who is an agent/broker so we have gone with him in the past. I would say as far as pitfalls go, know what your you are willing to accept. If you are relying on the proceeds form the house you are sellign to get you into the next, make sure you leave some cushion in there for rent back.

Also having lots of conveyances help.

Most of the common pittfalls a good realitor will cover.

Despite the tools that are out there, I will still suggest using a realitor.

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-08-23 13:53:38)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

Lai wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

6-7% total includes all cost here (Marketing included). That is lower if the realtor represents both the buyer and the seller.

Buyers do not pay the cost here. The sellers do. With it still buying a solid buyers market it's kind of funny to think that they would be responsible for paying the cost to have the property sell. Short sales and foreclosures usually pay a much lower commission .. the 2.5% range.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jean_Peste_tu?
Yes I Do
+44|6610|Auteuil, Laval

Kmarion wrote:

6-7% total includes all cost here (Marketing included). That is lower if the realtor represents both the buyer and the seller.

Buyers do not pay the cost here. The sellers do. With it still buying a solid buyers market it's kind of funny to think that they would be responsible for paying the cost to have the property sell. Short sales and foreclosures usually pay a much lower commission .. the 2.5% range.
Same here but there's also one broker that let you do the work and only guides you then you're talking 2-4% but be prepared to do a lot.
However in all cases it does not includes the localization certificate and few other documents that usually their cost are only a few hundreds.
In my case, my ex bought my share = no commission.  Yeah!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

They also sell a helluva lot faster with an agent. I forget the exact numbers but it is significant.

Jean_Peste_tu we have those brokerages here as well. They are called fsbo's. Some brokerages will also put a fsbo on the mls for them for a small fee. My experience is that when people try to do this on their own it ends up being a clusterfck. Paying the taxes, zoning laws, titles searches, doc stamps on the deed, closing dates, disclosures, ..etc.. all screwed up. A Realtor will also make sure you are getting the most out of your money, advising you on things like the $8,000 tax credit for new home buyers, getting you help with the closing cost, and finding a rate/loan that is right for you. Setting up showings can also be a pain in the ass for people who can't be home 24/7. If people aren't going to use an agent I suggest that they at least seek some help through a real estate attorney.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard