Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

Zune HD getting previewed at select Best Buys this weekend

Also, some more details on the power.
It's no big secret that NVIDIA's potent Tegra chip will be powering Microsoft's forthcoming Zune HD, but up until now, the former company had been rather quiet about its involvement in the project. Just a few days after the OLED-equipped portable media player went up for pre-order around the web, NVIDIA has stepped in to affirm that its own Tegra processor will be "providing the multimedia muscle in Zune HD." We're told that no fewer than eight independent processors make up Tegra's collective whole, with each one engineered for a specific class of tasks; among them are an HD video processor, an audio processor, a graphics processor and two ARM cores. Each of the chips can work together or independently to minimize power consumption, and the built-in nPower technology is said to optimize system power use and enable extended HD video / MP3 playback time. Sounds good in print, but we've got just under a month to find out how it performs for real.
720p via dock and hdmi out with H.264 encoding

Microsoft has come out and said their spec page the battery life is 33 hours of music playback and 8.5 hours of video.

https://i30.tinypic.com/w0g7dg.png
This all-in-one package enables your Zune HD player to charge sync and play supported 720p HD videos on your HDTV. Send music and HD Radio reception to your home audio system and control it all via a wireless remote.

Wi-Fi has always been a part of the Zune brand (however half-assedly implemented), and the Zune HD might be the first Zune that actually encourages its owners to keep that battery-sucking Wi-Fi turned on. Yes, the Zune HD will feature multitouch browsing, using a portable browser based on Internet Explorer.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
OmniDeath
~
+726|6634

engadget wrote:

Zune HD - 16GB for $219.99, 32GB for $289.99

apple wrote:

iPod Touch - 16GB for $299.00, 32GB for $399.00
For comparison.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

The dock package is like 80 bucks too.  I'm sure it will go down once the early adopter tax is repealed.

It will be nice to get music almost anywhere through the marketplace without having to have a laptop. I already have an unlimited pass, so just clicking and selecting related artist will put them on the zune hd. All my podcast already automatically download anytime I get near a wifi signal (Starbucks and a few restaurants). Tis good since I'm commuting and driving more for work now.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
VicktorVauhn
+319|6382|Southern California
Actually sounds pretty good, apart from the built in IE... but at least it has SOME browser, and I guess even IE is better then some mobile browsers devices stick you with.

Hopefully they will leave it open to third party programs so you can use other browsers too.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5779|Catherine Black

OmniDeath wrote:

engadget wrote:

apple wrote:

For comparison.
Fucking owned.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6381

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Actually sounds pretty good, apart from the built in IE... but at least it has SOME browser, and I guess even IE is better then some mobile browsers devices stick you with.

Hopefully they will leave it open to third party programs so you can use other browsers too.
I'm sure someone will jailbreak it if not.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6729|Toronto | Canada

OmniDeath wrote:

engadget wrote:

apple wrote:

For comparison.
Looks a helluva lot better too, definitely #1 for my next mp3 player right now
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6650|The darkside of Denver
Im pretty excited for this device.  I bought a Zune when they first came out, then got an itouch then an iphone... Im def gonna get one of these bad boys.
VicktorVauhn

SonderKommando wrote:

Im pretty excited for this device.  I bought a Zune when they first came out, then got an itouch then an iphone... Im def gonna get one of these bad boys.
Why would you if you already have an iphone and an itouch?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6611|London, England
They need to make a mobile phone version of it to compete with the iPhone (and then price it at non stupid Apple prices, and then have it so it's not with stupid one network only contracts and other typical dumb Apple shit)
ghettoperson
+1,943|6639

That looks really cool. I'm not entirely sold on looks, it's that silver bit at the bottom that looks a bit weird. I dunno, I'd have to see one in the flesh. The interface looks pretty sweet though.
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6104|SC | USA |
These are powered by nvidia tegra procs if anyone's interested.
VicktorVauhn

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

These are powered by nvidia tegra procs if anyone's interested.
We know, that's what the OP said...
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6528|Long Island, New York
It's good to see MS hasn't given up.

I'd probably get one if I didn't have an iPhone 3G.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6650|The darkside of Denver

VicktorVauhn wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Why would you if you already have an iphone and an itouch?
Cause I like flashy gadgets... DURRRR
edlT
2+2=Vagina
+46|5389|USA
I've been waiting for this :3
CosmoKramer
CC you in October
+131|6609|Medford, WI
ive been following this for a couple weeks now and wondered why it hasn't been posted here yet, I am so excited for it, all the demos ive seen look like it blows the ipod touch out of the water
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Idlewild
Disrupted Logic
+71|6318|Londawn
i really want one of those, the UI looks so much better than the touch.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

SonderKommando wrote:

I've learn to wait about a month after they come out before buying. The release date is Sept 15.. I'm thinking around Christmas should be just right .

Btw I had an issue with the second generation zune. I registered the device online about 8 months after I bought it. It was super easy to do. They sent me a box and I shipped it to them. I got (what looked like) a new zune. I'm sure it was a refurb but it was flawless. They also reset my warranty to the date I received the new one from them. That might have been an accident though. I was pleased with the whole experience. From start to finish I had it taken care of in about a week. Make sure you fellas register your devices.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6165|Sydney | ♥

Damn small screen for my giant hands

EDIT:

Kmarion wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

I've learn to wait about a month after they come out before buying. The release date is Sept 15.. I'm thinking around Christmas should be just right .

Btw I had an issue with the second generation zune. I registered the device online about 8 months after I bought it. It was super easy to do. They sent me a box and I shipped it to them. I got (what looked like) a new zune. I'm sure it was a refurb but it was flawless. They also reset my warranty to the date I received the new one from them. That might have been an accident though. I was pleased with the whole experience. From start to finish I had it taken care of in about a week. Make sure you fellas register your devices.
After xmas, January Sales boi

Last edited by tazz. (2009-08-22 22:01:44)

everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

tazz. wrote:

Damn small screen for my giant hands

EDIT:

Kmarion wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

After xmas, January Sales boi
3.3 inch 480x272 resolution
Just hdmi it out to your 52" Hdtv at 720p

The idea was ofc having someone else buy it for me
Xbone Stormsurgezz
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6381

Only 480x272?  Ah well.  I don't see any point hooking it up to an external monitor - it ceases to be portable.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

some_random_panda wrote:

Only 480x272?  Ah well.  I don't see any point hooking it up to an external monitor - it ceases to be portable.
no.. it is downsized for obvious reasons when played on the device. It does however play 720p when connected with an hdmi. It supports h.264 encoding which is fantastic.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6165|Sydney | ♥

I thought i'd measure my thumb for you

My hand from middle finger to the first wrist crease line is 22cm

width from thumb to side is 11cm

Thumb width is 2cm

which is about 70 ish pixels per touch.

Thus why i love horizontal option of the iphone/ipod touch..

But it's all proportional i guess ot my 6ft5 hight

Edit: I must also rise the valid point that px in phones/music players always convert smaller on screen ay...

Last edited by tazz. (2009-08-22 23:39:03)

everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard