haha
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT

Gamematt wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Ty wrote:

Yep, completely.

Harvard and most of those top Universities rank top because they try to only accept those who are seriously motivated already*. You don't go to Harvard and become a successful, driven person, you go to Harvard because you're a successful, driven person. How you come out is still based on your own dedication to your studies but statistically speaking someone would go in the same person they come out as.

* And those with shitloads of cash backing them.
You don't necessarily need cash to get into Harvard or Yale.
You'll need amazing grades and motivation. He kinda said that...
I wasn't disputing that, because its true (unless you are an African-, Hispanic-, or Native-American, in which case standards are lowered). Harvard, Yale, and most other top American universities don't even evaluate an applicant's ability to pay into their admissions decisions - so saying someone needs cash backing them to get accepted in incorrect.
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5982|Toronto

nukchebi0 wrote:

Gamematt wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

I wasn't disputing that, because its true (unless you are an African-, Hispanic-, or Native-American, in which case standards are lowered). Harvard, Yale, and most other top American universities don't even evaluate an applicant's ability to pay into their admissions decisions - so saying someone needs cash backing them to get accepted in incorrect.
What he means is that you'll get in if your daddy gives them a million.

also, 24. Wonder what the college breakdown is.
I like pie.
Archer
rapes face
+161|6425|Canuckistan
where's zique
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT

TSI wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Gamematt wrote:

He implied one needed both money and amazing grades to get in. With that said, a donation has to be 8-figures before it really is used as an impetus for admission.
Smithereener
+138|6317|California

nukchebi0 wrote:

TSI wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

He implied one needed both money and amazing grades to get in. With that said, a donation has to be 8-figures before it really is used as an impetus for admission.
I think you're misinterpreting what Ty said. (Or maybe I am, I dunno) What I gleaned from his statement was that the ones that got in had to be driven individuals with good grades to get the acceptance letter or you were the one that got in due to your parent's wealth and contributions to the school. Not that you have to fulfill both requirements to get in.

Last edited by Smithereener (2009-08-22 22:54:31)

Rod Foxx
Warblgarbl
+78|5985|Perth, Australia
My uni doesn't even make the list. But realistically i don't think it deserves to.

I mean it calls itself "Curtin University of Technology" yet it's computing department is the least funded in the entire uni, almost all the lecturers are from the east-asia region and most are incomprehensible.

Thankfully i finished my computer science degree so now i'm doing mechatronics engineering instead. The engineering department steals of the computing departments funds so it shouldn't be as bad.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT

Smithereener wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

TSI wrote:

I think you're misinterpreting what Ty said. (Or maybe I am, I dunno) What I gleaned from his statement was that the ones that got in had to be driven individuals with good grades to get the acceptance letter or you were the one that got in due to your parent's wealth and contributions to the school. Not that you have to fulfill both requirements to get in.
It is a rather ambiguous statement, why would explain the disparate interpretations. If he meant one or the other, then I'd agree; that just wasn't what I had understood from his words.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

nukchebi0 wrote:

Ty wrote:

Yep, completely.

Harvard and most of those top Universities rank top because they try to only accept those who are seriously motivated already*. You don't go to Harvard and become a successful, driven person, you go to Harvard because you're a successful, driven person. How you come out is still based on your own dedication to your studies but statistically speaking someone would go in the same person they come out as.

* And those with shitloads of cash backing them.
Shoulda written "or". I'm referring to those who buy their way in instad of getting in on acedemic merit.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Defiance
+438|6672

Smithereener wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

TSI wrote:

To get admitted, you need to either prove yourself academically or get grandfathered in by your families contributions. One or the other, maybe both.
To actually attend, you need to pay tuition. Scholarships, loans, financial aid, out of pocket; they're fawkin' expensive places to go.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

True that, although the truly gifted get scholarships. Real ones, not just sporting ones.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6455|The Twilight Zone
a buddy is at Harvard
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Smithereener
+138|6317|California

Defiance wrote:

Smithereener wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

To get admitted, you need to either prove yourself academically or get grandfathered in by your families contributions. One or the other, maybe both.
To actually attend, you need to pay tuition. Scholarships, loans, financial aid, out of pocket; they're fawkin' expensive places to go.
?

'Scuse my ignorance, but was this directed to me? If so, I don't know what to make out of it If it was my wording, sorry for the poor choice. I suppose I should have used admitted instead of "getting in." I see now that it's a bit ambiguous. But yeah, I do realize school is expensive, I attend a university too. >_> Hurrah for financial aid packages and scholarships. (Still have quite a few loans though) Seems like very few students can afford to come out with a degree and zero in loans.
Defiance
+438|6672

Smithereener wrote:

Defiance wrote:

Smithereener wrote:

?

'Scuse my ignorance, but was this directed to me? If so, I don't know what to make out of it If it was my wording, sorry for the poor choice. I suppose I should have used admitted instead of "getting in." I see now that it's a bit ambiguous. But yeah, I do realize school is expensive, I attend a university too. >_> Hurrah for financial aid packages and scholarships. (Still have quite a few loans though) Seems like very few students can afford to come out with a degree and zero in loans.
Just to the conversation in general. There were two conclusions people seemed to be jumping around: The colleges are stupidly expensive, and you can pay to get in instead of earning it, but it has to be in the millions.

As said by an admissions counselor earlier this year: "If the name of the school library is Gates, your last name is Gates, and it's not a coincidence, go to the front of the line."
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT
Rather fortunately, the number of those cases is small each year.

Ty wrote:

True that, although the truly gifted get scholarships. Real ones, not just sporting ones.
At Ivy level schools, scholarships are determined entirely by financial need, rather than any merit (although that is not to say a gifted rich student won't receive external scholarships.)

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2009-08-23 22:36:58)

1337pwned
+11|5892|California
third in the world. (:

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard