Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
Bevo: Guild Wars isn't really that addictive. I hate to use the old, tired analogies and discussions, but Guild Wars is closer to Diablo than something like World of Warcrack. It's great for hopping into a party with friends, hitting an instanced-world for your group and playing through something that is very adventurous and story-driven. It lacks the 'massive' sense and appeal of more mainstream MMORPG's, such as WoW for example. It's a decent and solid game, but I got tired of it rather quickly after playing other major competing games. Worth the low-price I"m sure the Total Edition will be going for nowadays, if only for the experience and play-through value.

Guild Wars 2 will be good but I think the new Diablo is going to be a major contender. Not even going to mention WoW with the major changes and plans they have, as well as the new Star Wars game, EVE Online and now EVE's console rehash taking away the sci-fi half of the market... best of luck to Arenanet!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas
I'm not the type to get super addicted to anything tbh.

Though I'm really looking forward to the new starwars MMO, provided they don't fook it up. The nice thing about GW it seems is the lack of subscription - no stress on getting your "moneys worth" or oversubscribing or anything.

The demo's still downloading (I managed to make a char and all that but there's still 20k-some files it's DLing).

Perhaps I'm just dreaming, but I'd like to see a Sci-fi FPS MMO. Set it ~100 years into the future, give gameplay a slightly arcade-like feel while still incorporating the massive MMO world goodies. Maybe it's just me, but I like to move my character around, aim, and shoot. Deffo more of a thrill than W (num lock), left click, target, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2. Check loot... nothing, okay, next one.
Monkey Spanker
Show it to the nice monkey.
+284|6222|England
Loved Guildwars got about 400 hours on the the booster packs, loved factions, as Uzi said good for hopping on with some clan mates & raping the local area. I am looking forward to Guildwars 2 tbh.
Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f30415b2d1cff840176cce816dc76d89a7929bb0.png
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6127|Vancouver | Canada

Bevo wrote:

I'm not the type to get super addicted to anything tbh.

Though I'm really looking forward to the new starwars MMO, provided they don't fook it up. The nice thing about GW it seems is the lack of subscription - no stress on getting your "moneys worth" or oversubscribing or anything.

The demo's still downloading (I managed to make a char and all that but there's still 20k-some files it's DLing).

Perhaps I'm just dreaming, but I'd like to see a Sci-fi FPS MMO. Set it ~100 years into the future, give gameplay a slightly arcade-like feel while still incorporating the massive MMO world goodies. Maybe it's just me, but I like to move my character around, aim, and shoot. Deffo more of a thrill than W (num lock), left click, target, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2. Check loot... nothing, okay, next one.
From my experience, Guild Wars relies more on good skill uses and combinations, instead of just hammering out one skill throughout the entire game.

(Searing Flames aside...)
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |
+142|6692|Ireland | Monaghan

FUCK YES! I'm so ready to do this thing!

Been waiting anxiously for this since it was announced, not much info is released this the bets thing yet!
+1 for linking cause I wouldn't have spotted it either way.

I got 3k hours of it.
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6336|California
yes yes yes yes gw2 been waiting since forever!
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6382|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
We should make a BF2s Guild.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5735|Belgium

SplinterStrike wrote:

We should make a BF2s Guild.
Nah, we shouldn't. For the 10-15 people maybe on BF2s that play GW (of which maybe 2-3 are active..) It's not worth the trouble.

Atleast, IMO that is.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York

Bevo wrote:

I wish more MMO's had that...but I understand why most don't.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

Poseidon wrote:

Bevo wrote:

Pretty obvious. The massive patches, day-to-day fixes and updates, as well as mammoth-loads of new content... developers have gotta stay paid.

MMO's don't really have the same business model as other games, because the development and management team behind an MMO don't just ship a game out to the shelf and then move onto the next project - they have to keep it alive and dynamic.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6750|Great Brown North

Uzique wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Bevo wrote:

Pretty obvious. The massive patches, day-to-day fixes and updates, as well as mammoth-loads of new content... developers have gotta stay paid.

MMO's don't really have the same business model as other games, because the development and management team behind an MMO don't just ship a game out to the shelf and then move onto the next project - they have to keep it alive and dynamic.
lies! they're just money grubbing bastards! paying subscriptions is lame! only pussies do that!

Spoiler (highlight to read):
psssst sarcasm
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5735|Belgium

Uzique wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Bevo wrote:

You know, Guild Wars actually does have massive updates every once and while (not now ofcourse, they're all working on GW2). But just think of Hard Mode, Sorrow's Furnace, etc.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas
I don't mind the sub fees honestly, if the devs actually do work on the game.

...there's so much that could be done with EVE online. It has GREAT potential. It's lacking. There was so much that could have been done with WAR, but it too was something along the lines of an unfinished product. MMOs have CRAPLOADS of potential, but the devs seem to stick to their original ideas and never branch out. I have some awesome ideas honestly for MMOs, RPGs, hybrid games... given a sub fee, there would easily be enough money to pay the developers to carry it all out, too.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6709|Toronto | Canada

I refuse to pay a subscription fee for any game.  Not that they dont deserve it or any of that stuff, I just simply dont want to pay every single month for a game.
Thats why I loved Diablo II
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

Winston_Churchill wrote:

I refuse to pay a subscription fee for any game.  Not that they dont deserve it or any of that stuff, I just simply dont want to pay every single month for a game.
Thats why I loved Diablo II
I always bought my subscription in 3 or 6 month installments - then it works out as one, fixed direct cost that works out as around about the same price as buying another game. Seeing as MMO's are time consuming and really engrossing, it doesn't seem begrudging to pay out £25 for a 3-4 month subscription card, considering that you won't feel the need or desire to buy and/or play any other games during that time .
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6336|California
They said their won't be a subscription fee for GW2 lets hope it stays that way, cause I will play 12 hours of GW2 then 12 hours of D3 nonstop!
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5735|Belgium

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

They said their won't be a subscription fee for GW2 lets hope it stays that way, cause I will play 12 hours of GW2 then 12 hours of D3 nonstop!
There won't be a subscription fee. Period. They've announced that many times and it would really strike me if they changed that (which I'm 100% sure they won't..)
SplinterStrike
Roamer
Huzzah for one time paying!
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas
GW is only $20 on steam, not bad. Should I go for the "pack" that has Nightfall and Factions, too? It's $50, but the two are $30 each separately. Or will I be fine without it?
SplinterStrike
Roamer
For expanding your GW adventures, I would suggest getting the expansions. Also, you get heroes with Nightfall, which are NPCs you can control the skills they have, which ones to use, where the NPCs go and such. They're better than the Henchmen for sure, and can level up too.

GWEN is a nice add-on as well, but it gets fucking hard with the Destroyers involved in the story.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas
How much do they add in comparison to the actual game? 50% more game each? It doesn't make sense to just get one of the expansions, since it would be the same price anyway.

I'm not completely sure I want to get the $50 bundle, especially because I haven't played more than a half hour on the demo. Will I be kicking myself later if I only buy the main game?

ed: I just busted $75 on wii sports resort, hence im kinda hesitant to throw another 50 out the window

Last edited by Bevo (2009-08-22 07:49:45)

Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5735|Belgium

Bevo wrote:

How much do they add in comparison to the actual game? 50% more game each? It doesn't make sense to just get one of the expansions, since it would be the same price anyway.

I'm not completely sure I want to get the $50 bundle, especially because I haven't played more than a half hour on the demo. Will I be kicking myself later if I only buy the main game?

ed: I just busted $75 on wii sports resort, hence im kinda hesitant to throw another 50 out the window
Play the demo through first, then decide. TBH, either you get the full package or you get nothing, the game is much more fun with all the campaigns. You should look for the pack with GW: Eye of the north (GW:EN) included though!
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas
I've played a bit more and it seems okay. The lack of pvp was sadface though, not able to try it on the trial.

I'm not exactly sure what the expansions are, though. Is it more "story"? Does it give more "levels"?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

Bevo wrote:

I've played a bit more and it seems okay. The lack of pvp was sadface though, not able to try it on the trial.

I'm not exactly sure what the expansions are, though. Is it more "story"? Does it give more "levels"?
More story and a new class or two I think... I'm pretty sure the Level cap stays at 20 throughout.

The game is focussed on endgame PvP, as any Guild Wars fanboy will tell you. I didn't really find it all that inspiring or brilliant, and actually preferred the more fast-paced and massive-feeling World of Warcraft PvP system, but it's down to personal preference I guess. WoW is more accessible than ever now, though, and the Arena system they have in place is analogous (and more competitive, too for that matter) to the Guild Wars battle-system.

If you're looking for some fun before the release of GW2, I have to be the seditious asshole and recommend experiencing WoW, too.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas
Level cap of 20? Bleh.

I suppose I'll just take a pass. I don't really "get" the endgame of any fantasy MMO. You have your max leveled character, and what do you do then? You've probably got all the nicest gear and stuff. In WAR it was giant blobs fighting each other, that's not very fun. In WoW I can't imagine its much different. Perhaps you can enlighten me? I don't see the fun in going up the level ladder, hitting a brick wall and then doing the same thing over and over.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard