OxenBreeder
+46|5766|KTRI
took my laptop with me this evening to take a dump, set the laptop on the sink so I could commence business, and I dumped the laptop on the floor. Moral of the story, don't take your lappy to the crappy!!!!! 

Mods move this if it's more suited for tech, but somehow I don't see how, lol.

https://img373.imageshack.us/img373/6642/brokelappy1a.jpg

https://img83.imageshack.us/img83/1792/brokelappy2a.jpg

Ok BF2S, what, if anything can I salvage? Ram I know, a buddy of mine should be able to use the ram in his laptop. Is there ANY way to be able to use the hdd in my desktop?

Also, was wondering if I'd be able to use the laptops version of Vista on my desktop? All I have though, is the recovery discs that I made when I bought said lappy. I know that it's more or less set up for the laptop specifically, but any possibility of being able to use it?

The computer still works, just fucked the screen up as you can tell from the above pictures. I had it set before, to where I brought it to my friends house, it would automatically log onto his network. So I'm thinking I should be able to retrieve any files I might need from the hdd, in case I can't use it in my desktop.

Sadly, I wasn't that upset about it happening. Granted I wasn't happy about it, but it was a stupid move on my part, and I paid the price.

The lappy I killed was a Presario 700, 1.86 dual core, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd, 15.4" screen. I gave $389 after rebate for it last November. Any suggestions on a replacement for less than $400? I won't be doing any gaming on it, mainly surfing, movies, light work, etc.

Last edited by OxenBreeder (2009-07-30 19:25:58)

alexb
<3
+590|5941|Kentucky, USA

VicktorVauhn
+319|6393|Southern California
Its not really because you took it to the bathroom... Its because your too worthless to figure out how to set things down with out them falling.
Bull3t
stephen brule
+83|6302
To be honest with you, Everything should be salavagable, I mean all you did was fucked up the screen right?
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6597|Michigan, USA
Could always replace the screen yourself, but from what I've seen the screen costs nearly as much as the computer itself, so it may or may not be worth it.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

r2zoo wrote:

Could always replace the screen yourself, but from what I've seen the screen costs nearly as much as the computer itself, so it may or may not be worth it.
^ this. it's fairly involved, but pretty straightforward. ebay is your friend here, that model can't be what compaq wants for a replacement.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6393|Southern California
yeah, I am thinking that would be your best bet...
You'll have to take some stuff apart, but likely not need even any soldering.

If nothing else see if you can't take apart the casing for the screen first and see how that goes for you... That part is trashed anyways.
If you are not planning to keep it and just use it with an external monitor, then don't worry about taking any of it apart, because as long as you don't damage the hard drive your not going to hurt anything. Pull the batter and HDD and get at it.
OxenBreeder
+46|5766|KTRI
I'm too drunk atm to reply, I'll repost tomorrow!
BVC
+325|6696
Shouldn't be hard to drop a new display in it.

Protip: Laptop stand/bracket in the loo saves you dropping your lappy when greasing the dolphin
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6131|Carnoustie MASSIF
You arse. I take my laptop into the crapper all the time, and I've never dropped it. It's straighforward, when you go to wipe, place it flat on the floor, or if you have a work surface, place it on that.

Why, for the love of God would you place it on the sink?

https://i34.tinypic.com/2vae5fr.png
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6133|Scotland!
attach a monitor to it and use that to salvage files
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6131|Carnoustie MASSIF

I'm Jamesey wrote:

attach a monitor to it and use that to salvage files
I was thinking that too, but was overpowered but the enormous amount of fail here.

Buy a new laptop, and use the old one as a random desktop, don't throw it out if it still works.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6474|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Christ... My shitting time is MY shitting time. Not the bosses, not some MSN chat, not some gayhomosexual game like WoW. When I sit on the shitter I shit ffs. Read a magazine sometimes. Way to go.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6439|King Of The Islands

My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6692|Devon, England
My laptop screen broke like that, too.

I hooked it up to a monitor and have it linked with my main PC using Multiplicity. Means I can have have MSN, Chrome, IRC etc. all up when I'm gaming (and not having to tab out of the game to do shit like you do with two monitors in the same PC).
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6366|California
That's why I take my iPhone with me to the poop deck! I text and play games and look at FML while i poop, greatest feeling ever.
Edit: Just in! I have to go poop! taking my iPhone with me, will keep you guys updated on how it goes.

Last edited by =NHB=Shadow (2009-07-31 08:52:22)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compaq-Presario-700 … 34002r7553

That should do the trick.

Mods move this if it's more suited for tech, but somehow I don't see how, lol.
Because it could be a fairly cheap and simple repair job and from the sounds of things, you're going to need advice....

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-07-31 13:28:40)

OxenBreeder
+46|5766|KTRI
I went ahead and just bought a new one. I got a Toshiba Satellite L505D, it's got an AMD X2 dual core QL-65 @ 2.1Ghz, 3gb ram, and 250gb hdd. Best Buy had it for $429, total was $470.xx. Slightly more than what I paid for the one I killed. I had about $200 left over from my birthday money last week (didn't have any idea what I was going to buy with it anyway.) I also save my change, and took $90 in quarters to the bank to cash out. So it wasn't that bad.

I'm not sure what I'll do with what's left of my previous lappy. I won't throw it in the trash though.

@Jamesey, I may hook it up at a buddies house, that's where my gaming rig is currently. He's got an older 1Ghz Pentium that we use for our rFactor server. It's connected to his big screen, it's a plasma or LCD, don't recall which.  The current server/ancient system needs to be put down anyway, lol.

And for further clarification, I sat the laptop on the sink so I could drop trou. It seemed like it was secure when I sat it down, obviously it wasn't. I got sat down, and next thing I heard was a crash. My stupidity, and I paid for it. I've made worse mistakes in life, but I know NOT to do that again.

At least you got to laugh at my stupidity.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Ox
Ioan92
+337|5723

OxenBreeder wrote:

I got a Toshiba
Big fucking mistake.
OxenBreeder
+46|5766|KTRI
Beats the Compaq I killed.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

OxenBreeder wrote:

I went ahead and just bought a new one. I got a Toshiba Satellite L505D, it's got an AMD X2 dual core QL-65 @ 2.1Ghz, 3gb ram, and 250gb hdd. Best Buy had it for $429, total was $470.xx. Slightly more than what I paid for the one I killed. I had about $200 left over from my birthday money last week (didn't have any idea what I was going to buy with it anyway.) I also save my change, and took $90 in quarters to the bank to cash out. So it wasn't that bad.

I'm not sure what I'll do with what's left of my previous lappy. I won't throw it in the trash though.

@Jamesey, I may hook it up at a buddies house, that's where my gaming rig is currently. He's got an older 1Ghz Pentium that we use for our rFactor server. It's connected to his big screen, it's a plasma or LCD, don't recall which.  The current server/ancient system needs to be put down anyway, lol.

And for further clarification, I sat the laptop on the sink so I could drop trou. It seemed like it was secure when I sat it down, obviously it wasn't. I got sat down, and next thing I heard was a crash. My stupidity, and I paid for it. I've made worse mistakes in life, but I know NOT to do that again.

At least you got to laugh at my stupidity.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Ox
But for $40 and about an hours work you could just fix the thing. It's piss easy.

It seems incredibly stupid not to.....
teek22
Add "teek22" on your PS3 fools!
+133|6382|Bromley, London

I think this is the most retarded thing one person could ever do.

Congrats for achieving it.
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6133|Scotland!

teek22 wrote:

I think this is the most retarded thing one person could ever do.

Congrats for achieving it.
until you wrote this post
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

I crap too fast, it wouldn't be worth the hassel taking a laptop in.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard