Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5594

With four Phoenix, Arizona, boys ages 9 to 14 charged with sexual assault on an 8-year-old girl, a prosecutor vowed Thursday his office will "seek justice for the young victim in this heartrending situation."

The 14-year-old was charged as an adult and will face two counts of sexual assault and one count of kidnapping, Thomas said Thursday. The other three boys were charged in juvenile court with sexual assault, and two of them also were charged with kidnapping, Thomas said.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/23/pho … index.html
So should we charge kids as adults for serious crimes? Is there like a cut off though when it comes to the crime or to the age of the child.

On a side note.
The sister, who was not identified by name by the station, expressed mixed feelings about her sister's attack. "I came to her and said it's not good for you to be following guys because you are still little," the sister told KTVK. She also said that she wanted the suspects to be released from jail because "we are the same people."

The victim and the boys charged are all from refugee families that have come to the United States from the war-torn West African nation of Liberia, police said.

Detectives said the girl was placed in the custody of Phoenix child protective services after the attack because of her parents' attitude toward her.

"The parents felt that they had been shamed or embarrassed by their child," Phoenix police Sgt. Andy Hill said.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6546|Long Island, New York
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6663

Sexual assault I'm not so sure. I don't think those kids knew what they were doing since they were pretty young.

But when it comes to murder and really malicious shit, definitely charge them as adults.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5594

mtb0minime wrote:

Sexual assault I'm not so sure. I don't think those kids knew what they were doing since they were pretty young.

But when it comes to murder and really malicious shit, definitely charge them as adults.
HUH?!
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6663

Macbeth wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

HUH?!
I know I know. I would say most of the time rape should be an adult charge.

But like when a 9yo is involved, and he doesn't know wtf he's doing. Give him 5 or so years and hopefully he'll learn. But older kids should know better.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5711|College Park, MD
hmm
a bunch of kids with no respect for the law or other people being raised by folks who consider rape to be a shame upon them not because their offspring committed it but because their offspring was the victim
yeah i don't see any good coming out of that mix.

honestly, the ones under age, idk, 13 should be sent to a juvenile facility till they're 18 and then transferred to the big house for 10 more years. The 14 year old should be locked up for at least 50 years.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2009-07-23 23:16:43)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

If and ONLY if the child knew what they were doing was wrong.

The reason you charge someone as a minor to begin with is that they are juvenile and are yet able to grasp the real world, societies laws and the consequences of their actions fully.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5711|College Park, MD

AussieReaper wrote:

The reason you charge someone as a minor to begin with is that they are juvenile and are yet able to grasp the real world, societies laws and the consequences of their actions fully.
the problem being that most 14 year olds and older should know damn well that things like rape and murder are bad. i know i sure as hell did.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

the problem being that most 14 year olds and older should know damn well that things like rape and murder are bad. i know i sure as hell did.
But you didn't rape anyone. You knew it was bad. Try to understand that those who do rape and worse at that age probably do have some mental impairment, in which case you should charge them as a juvenile and sentence them into a psych ward, for as long as possible of course.

You do get sick fucks though, who would know it's wrong but do it anyway. For them I have no sympathy. But not everyone at that age understand the concepts of right and wrong. It's as simple as that.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
JahManRed
wank
+646|6637|IRELAND

Cut off their underdeveloped balls.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

Macbeth wrote:

With four Phoenix, Arizona, boys ages 9 to 14 charged with sexual assault on an 8-year-old girl, a prosecutor vowed Thursday his office will "seek justice for the young victim in this heartrending situation."

The 14-year-old was charged as an adult and will face two counts of sexual assault and one count of kidnapping, Thomas said Thursday. The other three boys were charged in juvenile court with sexual assault, and two of them also were charged with kidnapping, Thomas said.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/23/pho … index.html
So should we charge kids as adults for serious crimes? Is there like a cut off though when it comes to the crime or to the age of the child.

On a side note.
The sister, who was not identified by name by the station, expressed mixed feelings about her sister's attack. "I came to her and said it's not good for you to be following guys because you are still little," the sister told KTVK. She also said that she wanted the suspects to be released from jail because "we are the same people."

The victim and the boys charged are all from refugee families that have come to the United States from the war-torn West African nation of Liberia, police said.

Detectives said the girl was placed in the custody of Phoenix child protective services after the attack because of her parents' attitude toward her.

"The parents felt that they had been shamed or embarrassed by their child," Phoenix police Sgt. Andy Hill said.
Charge them as juveniles. Charge the parents as adults however.
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6357|Belfast
Kids should only be charged as adults when they are aware of exactly what they are doing
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6731|Eastern PA
Every case should be decided on the merits. It's too touchy a subject to have a standard rule.

There are some juveniles that should probably spend the rest of their lives in prison, but there are some that make mistakes early in life and will turn out alright given some discipline and guidance.

The one exception I would note are crimes like aggravated rape, sexual assault, etc. I don't have any sympathy for the perps of such crimes.
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|5945
18 is just a number, you don't suddenly lose your innocence and are more mature because you turn 18. You can be -15-16 or younger and still know better then some adults who are 19-20+ but shouldn't be considered adults. That's the big problem.

Edit: Also I wonder if from some of those countries where people get married younger or where rape and that shit goes unpunished then I doubt they really understand how bad what they did was.

Last edited by Bradt3hleader (2009-07-25 18:06:59)

PureFodder
+225|6294
If you don't think that 18 is a good point to use and want to use a case by case basis then it has to be decided before the crime and the person in question has to have all the benefits of being an adult at that point. ie. driving, drinking etc. Something along the lines of allowing the teenager to wilfully enter into a contract with the state that they are now to be treated as a full adult with all the benefits and drawbacks of that.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina
Make the legal age of adulthood 16.  That would fix some of this.

I believe a child should not be charged as an adult for a serious crime unless the crime is done against another minor.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard