Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP
+78|5816|Fattest Country in the world.

Bertster7 wrote:

A man runs at you with a can of petrol and a lighter, then pretty much anything goes....

Taser is probably the most sensible option.

Baton, Forceful but non threatening melee, police officers are trained to use hand-to-hand combat. Not uncommon to whip out a maglite.
A) Batons often do more lasting damage than tasers.
B) Melee with a man with a lighter and can of petrol, which don't forget is highly explosive, is foolish. There are hundreds of things that could've gone horribly wrong.
Tasers are not a weapon used in all states by State Police Officers. Lets assume for the hypothetical the Officer did not have a taser.

A) This is irrelevant, the Federal Government deems them to be a suitable weapon to be used to disarm or protect an Officer/The Public is necessary.

B) Not really.. As explained above.

AussieReaper wrote:

But I'd like to point out that taser use is fairly new in Australia, it was only recently passed into legislation that police could use them, now that the small trial period is over where only senior officers could use them.

They obviously need more training, but I'd still rather tasers in use than guns.
Bingo.

ghettoperson wrote:

Yeah fuck that. I'm all for the police using less unnecessary violence, but this cunt had it coming. They should have just shot him though, then he wouldn't have caught on fire.
He wasn't a threat to the danger and wellbeing of the officers or public, they had no right to shoot him with a lethal weapon.

_raab wrote:

With the amount of bullshit I see the cops go through around Perth and Kalgoorlie i'm surprised the cops don't use them more often. Let em rip I say.
Laws, laws, laws etc.

ghettoperson wrote:

Oh I don't deny it can be explosive. But unless you're shooting it with tracers it's not going to catch. Mythbusters innit.
Indeed .

CrazeD wrote:

I have had all kinds of fun with gas. It absolutely does not explode when you shoot it. In fact, it's pretty hard to get it to explode at all. If you were to throw a match into a gas can, it would just light on fire pretty violently. Maybe make a big fireball. But it's not going to explode. And when I say explode, I mean like, KABOOM and make a crater. Not gonna happen.

EDIT: Oh, and for the record: shooting pressurized shit doesn't explode either. Not even with tracers. According to the Mythbusters, it requires an incendiary round. And luck.
Summed up nicely.

Last edited by Zombie_Affair (2009-07-21 22:11:57)

Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6229|NSW, Australia

Noobeater wrote:

If he lit the can of petrol it'd do more than just catch on fire, if the officer was close enough to try to hit him at the point of ignition that officer would be burnt to hell. In my opinion the safety of a police officer is worth more than the safety of a psychotic person. an abbo
fixed
madmax
+12|6262|perth, w.a.
i have mates in the wa police force there is
good reason's why they us teaser's instead of GUNS

it's not like a office all ready got burnt bad in a smilier experience
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Bertster7 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

In the movies, yes. IRL (isn't internet speak fun?) it's be all gravy.
I dunno....

Have you ever used petrol to start a fire? It's not a good idea. My mate tried doing it once, despite me telling him it was a very bad idea. I hid behind some stuff as he threw petrol over a big pile of timber and then chucked a match in. The whole thing exploded and he got knocked down (didn't get knocked out - so I felt quite justified in laughing at him for many hours) by a bit of wood hitting him in the head.

Muppet.
True. I heard that it the fumes that ignite, so it's not nearly as controllable as most people think. A bad idea turns into an extremely bad idea very quick.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard