Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6648

Bertster7 wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

You guys are doing some awfully selective reading today.
It's not selective reading. It's a direct response to exactly what you wrote. If that's not what you mean you should learn to express yourself a bit better.
Stop with the backhanded insults.

Nobody will ever take you seriously until you do.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

You guys are doing some awfully selective reading today.
It's not selective reading. It's a direct response to exactly what you wrote. If that's not what you mean you should learn to express yourself a bit better.
Stop with the backhanded insults.

Nobody will ever take you seriously until you do.
Maybe you could explain how it's selective reading then. Be my guest.

Bertster7 wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Think he may have been loud and tumultuous at the officer who refused to give him name and badge number?
Thats of course if you believe what he says.

A guy who cries racism at the first instance of police questioning loses a little credibility in my book.

What a retarded post. Anyone who complains of racism has no credibility?

You sir, have lost all credibility.
There we have it.

In your post you 1st imply he is not to be believed (despite the fact your own selective reading seems to have let you down there, when you're answering a question, not formed based on anything he's said but on an assumption by someone posting here).

You go on to say that: "a guy who cries racism at the first instance of police questioning loses a little credibility in my book", so someone complaining of police racism after being questioned once has no credibility - in your book.

What is selective about that? That's everything you said. I condensed that to "Anyone who complains of racism has no credibility" - which is the same thing (skipping the after being questioned once bit, because it is of very little importance to the overall meaning).

So how do you define that as selective reading? It's an accurate interpretation of what you wrote. If you didn't mean that, that's your fault.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-07-21 08:12:46)

Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6744|Reality
Disclaimer: Just because I agree with lowing in this instance does not constitute a endorsement of any other of his cockamamie posts.

The professor way over reacted to police.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Stubbee wrote:

Disclaimer: Just because I agree with lowing in this instance does not constitute a endorsement of any other of his cockamamie posts.

It looks like he probably did overreact and piss the police off. Were the police justified in arresting him though? The police aren't allowed to arrest you for just pissing them off.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6383|the land of bourbon

Bertster7 wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

It looks like he probably did overreact and piss the police off. Were the police justified in arresting him though? The police aren't allowed to arrest you for just pissing them off.
orly?

Spoiler (highlight to read):
i know it's fake, but funny

i'm sure there is more to this than what is being reported.  it was probably just over-reaction by both parties.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6390
Many cops carry audio recording devises. Maybe an audio tape of this incident will come out in court and prove who is telling the truth.
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557
1. The black guy had a chip on his shoulder and just wanted to play the race card.
2. The police acted unprofessionally.

/thread
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

Bertster7 wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

I've seen police (UK) arrest someone who was giving them the finger and the wanker gesture while he was walking away. I'd say that taking effort to piss them off is similar to wasting their time.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5996|Truthistan
You know being a Harvard professor at the top of your career and then to have some lame ass cop pull you back down to the level of a street thug because of some "call" about a black entering a house in a prestigious neighborhood, IMO this guy has a right to be pissed.

What did the cop say... "hey you N****, this can't be your house because your a N*****" even if the cop didn't say it, the cops actions said it for him.

Lowings argument is simple, real simple, a cop's "authorita" must be obeyed no matter how retarded actions of the cop are. 

Our rights are proactive not simply reactive, I would say its a citizens duty to tell a cop when they are out of line, a citizen acting to protect their rights is the front line in the defense of the rights of all of us - its just that some people believe that cops have more rights than the people.

All of this could be an overreaction by both sides, but when something like this happens to someone who is higher profile and who has the assets at his disposal to make a stand for some cause, like the rights of all of us, I would wager that the cops are going to be the ones on the defensive in this one. All I can say is what till a few other people from the Harvard faculty get on this case, like Dershowitz or Tribe. This cop stepped in a world of crap.

BTW next thing you know the cops are going to be called to arrest this guy for breaking into the governors mansion
https://www.mass.gov/Agov3/images/patrick_deval_bio.jpg
Actually I would expect the governor to poke his nose into this one too. Like I said, a world of crap.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

M.O.A.B wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

I've seen police (UK) arrest someone who was giving them the finger and the wanker gesture while he was walking away. I'd say that taking effort to piss them off is similar to wasting their time.
I've seen people arrested for that. I've also seen charges brought against the officers doing the arresting, because they're not allowed to. One of my friends was arrested for swearing at the police and I was a witness at his trial. It ended up with two of the officers getting investigated and then suspended for a few weeks without pay.

Just because it can happen doesn't mean the system allows for it to happen. If you make a decent case against them for this sort of stuff the police get in trouble.

I'd imagine those police officers haven't heard the last of this...
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717
If this happened to me... 
I get inside my house and hear people walking up...
Cops: they announce themselves as Police as they walk up to my door and ask for id(not knowing who i am)...
Me: I say... Evening officers this is my house and here is my id... 
Cops: Thank you sir, we are going to check your info really quick...
Me: Ok sounds great... Sorry you guys had to come out here tonight...
Cops: No problem sir... Here's your id and have a good night...
Me: You too fellas... be careful out there.

I wasn't there and maybe the cops are racist jerks... but if the guy pretty much decided not to cooperate from the start...I don't have much sympathy...
Love is the answer
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

I have done. Many times. No police. Environmental health sometimes - who have the power to confiscate audio equipment...

So giving them two different forms of ID is not cooperating? Alongside the fact that Gates had breathing difficulties and could not physically have been screaming and yelling at the cops as they claim and the other guy with Gates denies. They refused to give their badge number to him, they aren't allowed to withold that information - it's just like refusal to show ID to the police, there is no difference. The difference here is that Gates did produce ID, the police didn't provide their badge numbers.
Why do you continue to ignore the fact that the guy refused to show ID initially?  It is like a high speed chase, if you pull over as soon as they turn on the sirens, you will have no problem, if you do it after a 100 mile an hour chase through a nieghborhood, you have just bought some problems.

and again,during an investigation it is the cop thatis running the show, not the suspect.
In your own home, when you haven't commited a crime, that's simply not the case. It's you running the show unless they have a warrant.

If you prove your identity to them, you are well within your rights to then tell them to get off your property immediately. The moment his identity was established they had no business being there. He did show them ID, whether there was a delay or not does not impact his rights in his own home.
Gotta disagree, you have NO RIGHT, treating the police investigating a reported crime like shit. Being uncooperative will not end well for you.

However it does figure you would take the side of a guy who would act like that, over a police officer who was there to sort out a situation and possibly prevent a robbery.

It does figure that you could not possibly agree that, all the guy had to do was be repectful, cooperate, and let the cop gather his information so he can determain everything was fine and he could be on his way without incident.

Last edited by lowing (2009-07-21 12:20:09)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

AussieReaper wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

i agree with lowing here... the cops said the guy refused to show his ID, which is basically asking to be arrested.  gates says he gave two IDs... so i guess we have a cops word versus gates word situation.
No, we don't have two versions, police say he gave ID also.

Gates — the director of Harvard's W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research — initially refused to show the officer his identification, but then gave him a Harvard University ID card, according to police.
Does nobody read these articles anymore?
Maybe, after refusing and arguing, it became a case of too little too late. It is a crime not to produce ID when asked. Given the guys attitude, that could certainly be the case.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Diesel_dyk wrote:

You know being a Harvard professor at the top of your career and then to have some lame ass cop pull you back down to the level of a street thug because of some "call" about a black entering a house in a prestigious neighborhood, IMO this guy has a right to be pissed.

What did the cop say... "hey you N****, this can't be your house because your a N*****" even if the cop didn't say it, the cops actions said it for him.

Lowings argument is simple, real simple, a cop's "authorita" must be obeyed no matter how retarded actions of the cop are. 

Our rights are proactive not simply reactive, I would say its a citizens duty to tell a cop when they are out of line, a citizen acting to protect their rights is the front line in the defense of the rights of all of us - its just that some people believe that cops have more rights than the people.

All of this could be an overreaction by both sides, but when something like this happens to someone who is higher profile and who has the assets at his disposal to make a stand for some cause, like the rights of all of us, I would wager that the cops are going to be the ones on the defensive in this one. All I can say is what till a few other people from the Harvard faculty get on this case, like Dershowitz or Tribe. This cop stepped in a world of crap.

BTW next thing you know the cops are going to be called to arrest this guy for breaking into the governors mansion
http://www.mass.gov/Agov3/images/patrick_deval_bio.jpg
Actually I would expect the governor to poke his nose into this one too. Like I said, a world of crap.
Actually the cop did not respond to a "black" man breaking into a house, they responded to a man breaking into a house.

So let me get this straight. As liberals, you expect to have all guns removed from law abiding citizens claiming protection is the job of the police. Then when the police show up to actually protect you, you claim you can treat them anyway you want ( in your home ) refuse to identify yourself, and hassle them for trying to do what you have charged them to do.

As a liberal you EXPECT and DEMAND their protection,because you feel your protection is not your responsibility, but in the same breathe declare you owe nothing to their position of authority in dealing with a situation, and this makes perfect sense to you?  You mother fuckers are insane.

Last edited by lowing (2009-07-21 14:29:04)

west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6390
Police do not have a duty to protect you as an individual, but to protect society as a whole.
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5996|Truthistan

lowing wrote:

Diesel_dyk wrote:

Actually the cop did not respond to a "black" man breaking into a house, they responded to a man breaking into a house.

So let me get this straight. As liberals, you expect to have all guns removed from law abiding citizens claiming protection is the job of the police. Then when the police show up to actually protect you, you claim you can treat them anyway you want ( in your home ) refuse to identify yourself, and hassle them for trying to do what you have charged them to do.

As a liberal you EXPECT and DEMAND their protection,because feel your protection is not your responsibility, but in the same breathe declare you owe nothing to their position of authority in dealing with a situation, and this makes perfect sense to you.  You mother fuckers are insane.
I glad he was protecting all of our rights, including yours

BTW Cambridge dropped the charges, I expect that there will be a huge lawsuit on this one. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090721/ap_ … disorderly

So if the arrest was SO kosher, I doubt that would have happened. Here's to hoping that one day you get dragged off kicking an screaming from your home by some retarded, under educated cop/ bully..... and perhaps clubbed in the privates and probed in the neither regions... may then you might learn empathy, because I sense a real lack of empathy in your statements that results in a real lack of common sense.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6655
This thread has reached the consistency of digital vomit.

The professor acted like a douchebag, and while I would expect the cops to subsequently return the favor by being dicks right back, they still didn't have a right to arrest him.

I've had friends that were arrested for "resisting arrest", when there was literally no charge they were being arrested on in the first place (no disorderly conduct, nothing)...it seems pretty impossible to be arrested for resisting an arrest attempt that technically didn't happen, but there you have it.  When my friend went to court, the cops involved didn't show and the judge tossed the case - it simply wound up being a waste of my friend's (and the legal system's) time and money.

You CAN be arrested for just about any reason cops choose, and it doesn't necessarily matter if it was bogus - you might get "lucky" and just spend a night in jail, never to have any official charges against you.  Some think that that is fair enough since you won't wind up with a record, but I think that's a shitty deal for the citizens involved if you ask me.

The bottom line is, the cops could and maybe should have been pricks right back to the guy, but not tried to flex their authoritative muscle by arresting him.

And what does being liberal necessarily have to do with gun rights?  I'm probably liberal by some BF2s'ers standards, but I fail to see the correlation to gun ownership.  Hell, I wish everyone had firearms training and a gun in the house - I think we might be better off for it.  The sooner you learn to stop lumping everyone into black and white (no pun intended, considering the thread this is in) style categories, the better.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX
I notice that a lot of these incidents that seem to be actual racist incidents tend to happen more up north than down south (or maybe just reported more up north?).  The southern states tend to be under the proverbial microscope in racially charged incidents.  While the South has had to come to terms with it, it seems like maybe there is a bit of repression up north?
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6383|the land of bourbon
seeing as how i'm about to marry an attorney, i asked what she thought about this.  she told me a few things that we'd do well to remember.  the ONLY thing you should ever say to police is "i don't know, I need my attorney", "am i under arrest, or am I free to go?"

for example:  cop says, "are these your drugs?"

you say, "I don't know, i need my attorney"

or

cop says, "you seem nervous, is there a problem?"

you say, "am i under arrest?"

cop,"no"

you, "am i free to go?"

dont EVER EVER EVER agree to your car being searched.  if you are asked to step out, roll up your window and lock your door.  do not agree to any search.  if the cop says, if you tell me u have drugs, we'll go easy on you... you say, my attorney advised me to not allow a search.  if they threaten to call a canine unit to sniff your vehicle, keep in mind they cannot detain you for longer than a normal traffic stop would take.  it's usually an empty threat, so if they ask you something like that, respond with your own question... am i under arrest?  they will usually just let you go.

good advice
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Diesel_dyk wrote:

lowing wrote:

Diesel_dyk wrote:

As a liberal you EXPECT and DEMAND their protection,because feel your protection is not your responsibility, but in the same breathe declare you owe nothing to their position of authority in dealing with a situation, and this makes perfect sense to you.  You mother fuckers are insane.
I glad he was protecting all of our rights, including yours

BTW Cambridge dropped the charges, I expect that there will be a huge lawsuit on this one. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090721/ap_ … disorderly

So if the arrest was SO kosher, I doubt that would have happened. Here's to hoping that one day you get dragged off kicking an screaming from your home by some retarded, under educated cop/ bully..... and perhaps clubbed in the privates and probed in the neither regions... may then you might learn empathy, because I sense a real lack of empathy in your statements that results in a real lack of common sense.
If I act like this to cops I would fully expect to be dragged off. Not to worry though, I respect the police and what we charge them do to.

By the way, don't quote a post if you are not actually addressing the post.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum
as jay-z wisely put it 'you gonna need a warrant for that'
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

This thread has reached the consistency of digital vomit.

The professor acted like a douchebag, and while I would expect the cops to subsequently return the favor by being dicks right back, they still didn't have a right to arrest him.

I've had friends that were arrested for "resisting arrest", when there was literally no charge they were being arrested on in the first place (no disorderly conduct, nothing)...it seems pretty impossible to be arrested for resisting an arrest attempt that technically didn't happen, but there you have it.  When my friend went to court, the cops involved didn't show and the judge tossed the case - it simply wound up being a waste of my friend's (and the legal system's) time and money.

You CAN be arrested for just about any reason cops choose, and it doesn't necessarily matter if it was bogus - you might get "lucky" and just spend a night in jail, never to have any official charges against you.  Some think that that is fair enough since you won't wind up with a record, but I think that's a shitty deal for the citizens involved if you ask me.

The bottom line is, the cops could and maybe should have been pricks right back to the guy, but not tried to flex their authoritative muscle by arresting him.

And what does being liberal necessarily have to do with gun rights?  I'm probably liberal by some BF2s'ers standards, but I fail to see the correlation to gun ownership.  Hell, I wish everyone had firearms training and a gun in the house - I think we might be better off for it.  The sooner you learn to stop lumping everyone into black and white (no pun intended, considering the thread this is in) style categories, the better.
I am guessing you are not as much a liberal as you think
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

FatherTed wrote:

as jay-z wisely put it 'you gonna need a warrant for that'
Funny, I am 43 years old and I never had to say such things to a cop. Oh well.
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

steelie34 wrote:

seeing as how i'm about to marry an attorney, i asked what she thought about this.  she told me a few things that we'd do well to remember.  the ONLY thing you should ever say to police is "i don't know, I need my attorney", "am i under arrest, or am I free to go?"

or

cop,"no"

you, "am i free to go?"

dont EVER EVER EVER agree to your car being searched.  if you are asked to step out, roll up your window and lock your door.  do not agree to any search.  if the cop says, if you tell me u have drugs, we'll go easy on you... you say, my attorney advised me to not allow a search.  if they threaten to call a canine unit to sniff your vehicle, keep in mind they cannot detain you for longer than a normal traffic stop would take.  it's usually an empty threat, so if they ask you something like that, respond with your own question... am i under arrest?  they will usually just let you go.

good advice
I am aware of all that, and it is well and good, not to mention legal.  However, I cooperate my ass off.  I believe obsiqueous would be a good term.  And you know what; I tend to get warnings more often than not.  You do not have a duty to help the police, but if you help them do their job (and realize that it is just a job, they are trying to keep people safe and within the law), they appreciate it and tend to let you off light.

Of course, this only happens if you aren't driving drunk and have no drugs on you.  If you are breaking the law in some way... well, don't you deserve it if you got caught?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

imortal wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

or

cop,"no"

you, "am i free to go?"

good advice
I am aware of all that, and it is well and good, not to mention legal.  However, I cooperate my ass off.  I believe obsiqueous would be a good term.  And you know what; I tend to get warnings more often than not.  You do not have a duty to help the police, but if you help them do their job (and realize that it is just a job, they are trying to keep people safe and within the law), they appreciate it and tend to let you off light.

Of course, this only happens if you aren't driving drunk and have no drugs on you.  If you are breaking the law in some way... well, don't you deserve it if you got caught?
agreed 100%

I also get off with warnings, I am respectful and copperative at all times, in return I get that same respect back.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard