O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

Dilbert_X wrote:

Seems simpler just to tax petrol.
No doubt...  and less Big Brotherish.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6706
Great, mandatory car tracking devices.  It's coming.... Little by little..... Eventually it will lead to mandatory tracking collars.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6183|Ireland
This is a great idea.  I can use  a technology haxor against the government and pwn their silly taxes like a noob.

Bring it on, I will go virial on their azz.
PureFodder
+225|6285

Dilbert_X wrote:

Seems simpler just to tax petrol.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6525|South Florida
Fuck that. Theres nothing wrong with the way it is right now - there just greedy fucks.

Its none of there fucking business how much i drive and i promise you that black box will be hacked or removed the second it touches my car.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6438|King Of The Islands

SEREMAKER wrote:

NC is trying to push a .005 cent per mile tax ...................... fuck that
.005 cents or .005 dollars?
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6640|Your moms bedroom
Maine, the most taxed/poorest state.... not to mention we are rural which means everyone drives 20 minutes to work (at about 45mph)
shit, my uncle drives from Winslow to Bangor 1hr 5 minutes ish on I95, 70mph round trip to work every fuckin day.

Last edited by Locoloki (2009-07-19 07:35:27)

BVC
+325|6695
That sort of system is already in place here, for diesel-powered vehicles.

Diesel is a bit cheaper, but users of diesel vehicles have to purchase mileage in 1000km blocks, and this has to be prepaid and is typically bought when you fill up your tank.  I'm not sure if larger vehicles have to pay more for their mileage.

As diesel is a fair bit cheaper than petrol here, the cost of this system isn't really an issue.  The cost of buying mileage brings disesl into a similar ballpark to petrol, although diesel is generally a little cheaper to run in a vehicle than petrol.  Also, buying diesel for vehicles/devices (eg. generators) which don't go on the road means you don't have to pay for mileage.

Last edited by Pubic (2009-07-19 18:18:26)

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6736|Salt Lake City

I see one problem and one possible solution here.

The Problem:  States are doing this because the government is pushing for substantially higher fuel efficiencies, which will ultimately result in lower gasoline taxes that are used to support road infrastructure.  Combine that with electric vehicles that may use no gas at all, and you still have infrastructure to maintain but no, or substantially reduced revenues, to maintain the same amount of road infrastructure.

Possible solution to mileage taxes:  People dislike the idea, primarily for its Big Brother aspect.  To that end, don't track by GPS.  Modern vehicles have computers that can store or feed this data to a device.  The mileage can be obtained by using a hand held device, like those a mechanic uses to retrieve computer error codes.  This way a person's whereabouts are not tracked, but mileage can be accounted for.  Retrieval of this data could simply be made part of the yearly registration process for a vehicle.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

The Problem:  States are doing this because the government is pushing for substantially higher fuel efficiencies, which will ultimately result in lower gasoline taxes that are used to support road infrastructure.  Combine that with electric vehicles that may use no gas at all, and you still have infrastructure to maintain but no, or substantially reduced revenues, to maintain the same amount of road infrastructure.

Possible solution to mileage taxes:  People dislike the idea, primarily for its Big Brother aspect.  To that end, don't track by GPS.  Modern vehicles have computers that can store or feed this data to a device.  The mileage can be obtained by using a hand held device, like those a mechanic uses to retrieve computer error codes.  This way a person's whereabouts are not tracked, but mileage can be accounted for.  Retrieval of this data could simply be made part of the yearly registration process for a vehicle.
Don't we already have to provide mileage when we either register our vehicles or get them inspected (safety &/or emissions)?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6736|Salt Lake City

FEOS wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Don't we already have to provide mileage when we either register our vehicles or get them inspected (safety &/or emissions)?
That could very well vary by state, but I've never heard of any state that makes you track or register mileage.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

That could very well vary by state, but I've never heard of any state that makes you track or register mileage.
You have to do it over here.

When you register the vehicle or at your annual MOT (dunno if you have them - compulsory annual check of your vehicle to make sure it's roadworthy) the mileage is checked. I doubt this information is used for anything, but could easily be centralised for charging purposes - because no one is going to want government GPS trackers on their cars.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6736|Salt Lake City

Bertster7 wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

FEOS wrote:

When you register the vehicle or at your annual MOT (dunno if you have them - compulsory annual check of your vehicle to make sure it's roadworthy) the mileage is checked. I doubt this information is used for anything, but could easily be centralised for charging purposes - because no one is going to want government GPS trackers on their cars.
Again, depending on the state we do have them.  We simply refer to them as safety inspections.  As for odometer readings, they are too easy to disconnect.  I'm sure they'd want something that could not be as easily tampered with.  Possibly using something such as a kill switch if there is any attempt to tamper with, or alter the device that tracks the mileage.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Again, depending on the state we do have them.  We simply refer to them as safety inspections.  As for odometer readings, they are too easy to disconnect.  I'm sure they'd want something that could not be as easily tampered with.  Possibly using something such as a kill switch if there is any attempt to tamper with, or alter the device that tracks the mileage.
Lots of things are easy to disconnect but are still used for this sort of purpose.

Gas meters, electric meters and water meters being the obvious examples.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6379|MN
I do agree the system we are currently using is not going to be able to support the current system.  I have another idea.  If the cars we drive are smaller and lighter, and we have less environmental impact due to lower emissions, we should have a lower impact on the quality of the roads.  The lighter cars create less wear and tear, and the lower emissions cause less drastic changes in weather.  All this means less money needed for road repairs.

In all seriousness though, we do need a better system.  I don't want my car having a tatle tale box in it though.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6640|Your moms bedroom
Idlers still burn fuel and they dont go anywhere

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard