Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Was really hoping for KOTOR 3 instead but I'll take it maybe.

What I don't understand is how does a MMORPG have a story line? I don't understand how that will work but then again I never played any MMORPGs.

I guess I'll give it a try when it comes out and just burn through the story line quick. Anyone else interested or looking forward?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
Think Guild Wars for story line.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6148|Vancouver | Canada

Cybargs wrote:

Think Guild Wars for story line.
After playing Guild Wars I can't play any other MMOs...

I can't live with the "your own copy of the world" anymore.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6431|Brisbane, Australia

Guild wars is hardly an mmo.

The majority of the game is instanced, with you running around with NPC henchmen. Not what I would call mass multiplayer online.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
Guild Wars is NOT an MMO, and story-driven MMO's always fail because the genre isn't really compatible.

'Player-centric story driven experience' + 'Massively multiplayer online world' = err, what the fuck? So we're all the Chosen One? K.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

One thing I can't stand about MMORPGs, (okay fine, one of the many things I can't stand about MMORPGs,) is the unquestionably epic cinematic trailers. I mean that trailer looks kick arse but when in game it'll be no more than another inventory-micro-managing grind-tastic "God-I-wish-I-was-WoW" game that's more addictive than actually fun.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6656|NT, like Mick Dundee

Ty wrote:

One thing I can't stand about MMORPGs, (okay fine, one of the many things I can't stand about MMORPGs,) is the unquestionably epic cinematic trailers. I mean that trailer looks kick arse but when in game it'll be no more than another inventory-micro-managing grind-tastic "God-I-wish-I-was-WoW" game that's more addictive than actually fun.
1) Eve.

2) MMOs usually have massive production values.

3) All Blizzard trailers are epic. People are just ripping off their style tbh.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462

Flecco wrote:

Ty wrote:

1) Eve.

2) MMOs usually have massive production values.

3) All Blizzard trailers are epic. People are just ripping off their style tbh.
I'm sorry, but are you highlighting EVE as an example of a game that doesn't revolve around "inventory-micro-managing-grind-tastic" play? . Sure, EVE doesn't wish it was WoW- it veers hugely off course into a darker corner of the MMO universe: the unnecessarily complicated and utterly boring inventory-micro-managing-grind-tastic MMO. At least the more standard examples of the genre (even those that comply with Ty's rather general summary) give you something pretty to look at and play around with. EVE involves staring at the same 5-prerendered 2D backgrounds, whilst flying around planets with the polygon-count of blurry golfballs, shooting the same 3-4 lasers/missiles at small dots that you track onto in the horizon. EVE only distracts the players from the utterly monotonous and mind-numbing grind with pointlessly complicated mechanics that revolve around completely superfluous-features to the MMO genre. Mega fail, in short.

Last edited by Uzique (2009-07-12 04:19:03)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Flecco
iPod is broken.

There's no inventory tbh. You don't have 'limited' space at all. There's a guy who has gone out of his way to collect a single copy of every item in the game.

There's no grind if you have friends established in the game already. At least not a grind that requires you to spent a few hours each night in-front of the PC.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462

Flecco wrote:

There's no inventory tbh. You don't have 'limited' space at all. There's a guy who has gone out of his way to collect a single copy of every item in the game.

There's no grind if you have friends established in the game already. At least not a grind that requires you to spent a few hours each night in-front of the PC.
No, instead it's swapped for a grind that requires you to practically subscribe to the game for 6 months before you can fly or use anything deemed 'good'. I prefer to let personal skill and self-determination acquire me good in-game items, not a game-mechanic that essentially says "Fuck off, carry on subscribing for a few months and then we'll let you have some pretty lasers to play with". It's even more of a grind, if anything, because there's no way of side-stepping or avoiding it. You're a little bitch that is forced to grind the most mundane and mind-numbingly boring skills and abilities for the first 3 months, and only then can you possibly start having actual fun. In WoW, "if you have friends established in the game" especially, it's fun from the word 'Go'.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Personal skill? You forgetting Blizzard's FoTM balance system?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum

Uzique wrote:

Flecco wrote:

No, instead it's swapped for a grind that requires you to practically subscribe to the game for 6 months before you can fly or use anything deemed 'good'. I prefer to let personal skill and self-determination acquire me good in-game items, not a game-mechanic that essentially says "Fuck off, carry on subscribing for a few months and then we'll let you have some pretty lasers to play with". It's even more of a grind, if anything, because there's no way of side-stepping or avoiding it. You're a little bitch that is forced to grind the most mundane and mind-numbingly boring skills and abilities for the first 3 months, and only then can you possibly start having actual fun. In WoW, "if you have friends established in the game" especially, it's fun from the word 'Go'.
Nooo, you could be shooting stuff up pretty decently after a week of play tbf
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6682|Devon, England
I'll be getting it.

And FFXIV
Bernadictus
+1,055|6728

Uzique wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Training skill: Retard V completed.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6771|Great Brown North
hopefully it will be like an un-fucked SWG

i'm holding out for space combat <3
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462

Bernadictus wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Training skill: Retard V completed.
Sure, I'll let the subscription figures and the statistics regarding new players that continue subscriptions do the talking... EVE can carry on dropping 'Re-subscribe, we miss youuu' messages in my Gmail Inbox for the rest of eternity. I've taken like 4-5 trials with that game now, and I have played pretty much every 'big' title on PC in the last 5-6 years - I'm be no means an incompetent or 'won't try to learn' gamer - EVE just mystifies me with its design. Why is it so pointlessly difficult and unintuitive? I think someone like Yahtzee said it best: online gaming is a world full of geeks, EVE online is a world full of geeks that makes the average PC gaming nerd look normal. I'll take that Retard V training gladly... be back in 4 weeks when it's done ticking over; gonna go do a jigsaw puzzle and direct debit this month's subscription .
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6529|Long Island, New York
I might get it...I've never been able to get into an MMO before and I'm not THAT big of a Star Wars fan, but it looks fun as hell.
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

Help put it context, how is it like and not like Oblivion/Fallout, beside the the theme obviously.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462

jsnipy wrote:

Help put it context, how is it like and not like Oblivion/Fallout, beside the the theme obviously.
Oblivion/Fallout are RPG's... this is an MMORPG. It's hard to explain it any more than that, if you don't already understand the differences between the two genres; one is single-player and instanced, revolving around the solo player-character, the other is massive and shares a persistent universe with thousands of other players in a more populous environment.

Poseidon, just try WoW. Seriously. Even if The Old Republic is the great new thing, you're missing out on a huge slice of PC gaming if you have never tried an MMO and have never played World of Warcraft.
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

Uzique wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Oblivion/Fallout are RPG's... this is an MMORPG. It's hard to explain it any more than that, if you don't already understand the differences between the two genres; one is single-player and instanced, revolving around the solo player-character, the other is massive and shares a persistent universe with thousands of other players in a more populous environment.

Poseidon, just try WoW. Seriously. Even if The Old Republic is the great new thing, you're missing out on a huge slice of PC gaming if you have never tried an MMO and have never played World of Warcraft.
Ah so its a subscription based thing
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Uzique wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Meh...I've never been into fantasy stuff whatsoever, you really think I'd like WoW?
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6676|Espoo, Finland

Poseidon wrote:

Uzique wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Meh...I've never been into fantasy stuff whatsoever, you really think I'd like WoW?
Have you ever played games like diablo, sacred or other fantasy based RPGs?
If you like that then you'd be fine with the world of WoW (wowow O_o) as well. You don't have to sink in to the lore at all if you aren't intrested, can just go around killing stuff.

Give the trial a shot first, but you need to know that it's pretty boring in the beginning when you don't have much skills to use yet.
Also you should find some people to play with since it is a multiplayer game after all
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Gawwad wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Uzique wrote:

If you like that then you'd be fine with the world of WoW (wowow O_o) as well. You don't have to sink in to the lore at all if you aren't intrested, can just go around killing stuff.

Give the trial a shot first, but you need to know that it's pretty boring in the beginning when you don't have much skills to use yet.
Also you should find some people to play with since it is a multiplayer game after all
No, no ___craft games. Ever. Nothing by Blizzard.

And I tried the trial, I didn't really enjoy it tbh. But as I've learned with a lot of games, you can't really judge how the whole game is going to be with a game like WoW. Especially one with such a massive scale.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6148|Vancouver | Canada

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

Guild wars is hardly an mmo.

The majority of the game is instanced, with you running around with NPC henchmen. Not what I would call mass multiplayer online.
Only if you choose to play with NPC's.

However, if you look at it that way, there's another reason why it wouldn't be an MMO:
Absolutely no grinding.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Poseidon wrote:

Gawwad wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

No, no ___craft games. Ever. Nothing by Blizzard.
Oh jeez.

Go buy Starcraft/Warcraft 3 now.

That means right now.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard