nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6327|New Haven, CT

mikkel wrote:

Prison sentences exist to deny people access to society for a given amount of time.
It's hard to argue a prison featuring such amenities is really denying people access to society.
Benzin
+576|6002
I think I see the point of this prison.

I imagine that it is mostly for non-violent crimes. I can see why putting a prisoner in a less threatening environment would be good for rehabilitation. It would make the prisoner more open to counseling and psychiatric help than a prison where the inmate has to watch his back the entire time and worry about the prison gang.

Ben Franklin said you can judge a land based on its prisons and laws. I'm sorry, but the US has a fucked up prison system that in many cases does not work. So many people that go in come right back out and are back behind bars in less than a year. Why? Because they are not being rehabilitated. Obviously, you have individuals who are so messed up and have done horrible crimes that there really is no going back (Fritzl, for instance) and they do need to be locked in the deepest, darkest hole. There are, however, many people in prisons around the world who, with a little bit of help and education can be turned into productive members of society.

But usmarine, you cannot really be bitching about this prison and saying the US system works, because the US system is even more hypocritical. There are private prisons in the US where you can go that are even better than this place. Basically if you can pay to support yourself in prison, you can get to choose which prison you go to. Just look up celebrity prisons and the like. They're resorts, not prisons.
Benzin
+576|6002
But usmarine, people are also products of their environments in many cases. There are, obviously, exceptions. You said you grew up in a bad neighborhood, yea? What about your home life? Bet it was better than most of your neighbors. Grow up in a dysfunctional neighborhood AND a dysfunctional home, and I'd like to see how normal you turn out.

Best example: Look a Michael Jackson. Product of his environment, 100%.
mikkel
+383|6605

usmarine wrote:

ghetto?  i grew up in a shithole part of cleveland..never been in jail.  northern states?  well the whole mid section of this country from texas to north dakota voted repub.  not a shock the crook bankers and rich crooked ceo's live in the NE and Cali voted dem.
I don't really think you said anything there to disprove Gawwad's claim.

nukchebi0 wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Prison sentences exist to deny people access to society for a given amount of time.
It's hard to argue a prison featuring such amenities is really denying people access to society.
Well, if they wanted to go interact with society, they'd be promptly stopped by walls, steel bars and armed guards.  I don't see how it's difficult to argue that they're being kept away from society.

Last edited by mikkel (2009-07-12 02:18:43)

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6327|New Haven, CT

mikkel wrote:

Well, if they wanted to go interact with society, they'd be promptly stopped by walls, steel bars and armed guards.  I don't see how it's difficult to argue that they're being kept away from society.
It's not as if they aren't talking to other prisoners. Between that and the fact their accommodations are superior to those of many families, it seems untenable to claim they are anything more theoretically separate from society.
Defiance
+438|6675

nukchebi0 wrote:

mikkel wrote:

It's not as if they aren't talking to other prisoners. Between that and the fact their accommodations are superior to those of many families, it seems untenable to claim they are anything more theoretically separate from society.
It seems to me you suggest the mental separation from society, that they don't feel any different on the inside then they do on the outside. I disagree; prison is still prison whether you have a couch or not. You lose your entire life; friends, family, occupation, recreation and any sense of normality. On top of that, you're thrown in with a rather nasty bunch. That is separated from the society that the prison is designed to separate these folks from no matter how you look at it.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6760|Scotland

I might as well try and kill someone in Austria to get in that prison. Looks nicer than my house.
mikkel
+383|6605

nukchebi0 wrote:

mikkel wrote:

If being able to talk to other prisoners qualifies as being part of society, then all but the most isolated prisoners everywhere are part of society. Being kept away from society with other people does not make you part of society. As for the argument of superior accommodation, I think you'd soon find that having even the smallest, most run-down apartment in a bad part of town beats being confined to the same few rooms for years upon years.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6685|Disaster Free Zone

usmarine wrote:

mikkel wrote:

usmarine wrote:

thats exactly what they should be for
Thankfully, they're not.
really?  would you be saying that if Josef Fritzls victim was your family member?
Father helps son's Murder
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6110|eXtreme to the maX
Prison should be
1. Punishment
2. Protecting society
3. Rehabilitation - if appropriate

Very few seem to do much of the above these days.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6765

DrunkFace wrote:

usmarine wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Thankfully, they're not.
really?  would you be saying that if Josef Fritzls victim was your family member?
Father helps son's Murder
?  k.  who cares about that?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6765

mikkel wrote:

says you
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6765

"four brothers" is my kind of justice anyway
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6745|OctoLand
lol you said justice
I know fucking karate
jsnipy
+3,276|6526|...

thats all great but how is the man on man sex?
nibiru2012
+10|5419
got damn!!!! , looks better than some of our 5 star hotels here in the U.S. 
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|5940
I bet homeless people go commit crimes to be in that place. That's better than no home, in fact that is better then some homes.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6604|132 and Bush

Is there an application fee? Where can I enroll?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6765

Kmarion wrote:

no no no....you have not been wronged by society yet.  move to the ghetto first.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6604|132 and Bush

usmarine wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

no no no....you have not been wronged by society yet.  move to the ghetto first.
Do they have AC?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6765

lawl......only if you want to repent your criminal lifestyle and save the world.
mikkel
+383|6605

usmarine wrote:

mikkel wrote:

says you
Astute observation. I put forth many examples, and you retorted with absolutely nothing disproving them.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6689|Espoo, Finland

Bradt3hleader wrote:

I bet homeless people go commit crimes to be in that place. That's better than no home, in fact that is better then some homes.
You really think that didn't cross their mind when they designed the prison?

nibiru2012 wrote:

got damn!!!! , looks better than some of our 5 star hotels here in the U.S. 
https://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt289/laikepo/JailAustria09.jpg

https://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt289/laikepo/JailAustria08.jpg

I take the 4 star please

Last edited by Gawwad (2009-07-13 00:17:51)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6604|132 and Bush

Gawwad wrote:

Bradt3hleader wrote:

You really think that didn't cross their mind when they designed the prison?
Intentionally encouraging crime to promote social welfare?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6585|SE London

nukchebi0 wrote:

mikkel wrote:

By that logic all prisoners held anywhere (in line with the UDHR) are still a part of society.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard