Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6741|St. Andrews / Oslo

So, I have a relatively large litterature project (3-4 books), and I really have no ideas on what to base it on. I'm supposed to have read these books during the summer vacation, so I kinda need to get my ass into gear.

It's a pretty "open" project, as long as it involves analyzing these books and comparing them.

As an example, here's my favorite from last year's students:  "Death in Childrens Litterature: how death is portrayed in childrens books" (read 4 books, compared)

As previously stated, it's a very open project, so I'm interested in all the ideas you have Preferably something that involves reading good/entertaining books.

Merci
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6503|Sydney, Australia
Well if it's open, then one thing I suppose you can do is to base it on one author. George Orwell is a really good choice, specifically Animal Farm and 1984. Otherwise you can look at the evolution of crime fiction genres from the drawing room (think Poirot) style to the noir styles (The Big Sleep; Seven) and to more modern scientific styles such as CSI and NCIS.

Also, it's spelt 'Literature', just don't get that wrong in an English project
Jenspm
penis

Vub wrote:

Well if it's open, then one thing I suppose you can do is to base it on one author. George Orwell is a really good choice, specifically Animal Farm and 1984. Otherwise you can look at the evolution of crime fiction genres from the drawing room (think Poirot) style to the noir styles (The Big Sleep; Seven) and to more modern scientific styles such as CSI and NCIS.

Also, it's spelt 'Literature', just don't get that wrong in an English project
It's a Norwegian project, so it's k

Thanks for the ideas.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479
My idea: learn to spell 'literature' before you consider creating an entire project based on that topic.

"Relatively large"... "3-4 books"? What is that relative to, exactly? The amount of reading-work required of a 12 year old?

Last edited by Uzique (2009-07-11 09:36:05)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jenspm
penis

Uzique wrote:

My idea: learn to spell 'literature' before you consider creating an entire project based on that topic.

"Relatively large"... "3-4 books"? What is that relative to, exactly? The amount of reading-work required of a 12 year old?
hi, you're cute.

It's for Norwegian anyway, so my English spelling skills are irrelevant. Also, it's not like I decide to start an entire project based on literature (amidoingitrite?) - it's a task I get from school. But I think you knew that, so yeah.

Relatively large as in relatively important for my grade. I haven't really done any lit. stuff with more than two books anyways, so it's a pretty large task (relative to average lit. task here in Norway, at least throughout my period of edumacation).
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6482|Kakanien
compare james joyce's ulysses, goethe's faust and dante's divina commedia on the basis that they are showing and describing a whole "cosmos"
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6482|Kakanien

Uzique wrote:

my idea: learn a foreign language before you consider to criticize other people's foreign language skills
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

my idea: learn a foreign language before you consider to criticize other people's foreign language skills
My solution: Don't ask people to do English literature projects if they can't read and speak (or type) the language fluently first.

Not my problem. Bye now.

Also, lol at your idea for a high-school student to compare Joyce, Dante and Goethe. Are you really that dumb?

Last edited by Uzique (2009-07-11 09:59:14)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6482|Kakanien

Uzique wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

My solution: Don't ask people to do English literature projects if they can't read and speak (or type) the language fluently first.

Not my problem. Bye now.

Also, lol at your idea for a high-school student to compare Joyce, Dante and Goethe. Are you really that dumb?
i love you. wanna make out?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5594

Evolution of the story hero from Greek literature onto modern.
Vub
The Power of Two

Uzique wrote:

Mate, he is not studying your run of the mill stories, he is exploring literature. An entire project based on 3 to 4 texts is not a small amount of reading. If you wanted to study Shakespeare and explore all the nuances of the great playwright, then of course you have to take it slow, right?
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6674|NT, like Mick Dundee

Oh shit, Aussie twin geniuses vs. crazy-batshit-insane-rich-internet troll Uzique...

/grabs popcorn
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479

Vub wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Mate, he is not studying your run of the mill stories, he is exploring literature. An entire project based on 3 to 4 texts is not a small amount of reading. If you wanted to study Shakespeare and explore all the nuances of the great playwright, then of course you have to take it slow, right?
In any one example of a Shakespeare question I would normally be expected to look at no less than 6 plays combined thematically, characteristically or contextually, and there's usually about 4 of these questions per paper, at basic-level Shakespeare study. 3-4 texts of any size, genre or author is hardly a mammoth task. He could compare the use of magic in Harry Potter, Narnia and The Lord of the Rings. Hardly academic weight-lifting, is it?

On the other hand, the example of comparing Goethe, Joyce and Dante is ridiculous. You could spend 3 years studying one text by any one of those authors- expecting a high-school student to synthesize some grand thesis by combining all of their epic-influenced works is an audacious task that I wouldn't even assign to a top literary professor.

Also, what the fuck does "he is not exploring run-of-the-mill stories, he is exploring literature" mean? Pretentious much? Are the likes of E.M. Forster, Flaubert, Hemingway and Baudelaire not good enough for you? I find short stories by authors in that calibre to surpass any 500-page 'novel' by some joke of an author such as Tom Clancy or Dan Brown!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6115|eXtreme to the maX
So, I have a relatively large litterature project (3-4 books), and I really have no ideas on what to base it on.
Duh - Three books = LOTR, four books add 'The Hobbit'.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Vub
The Power of Two

Uzique wrote:

Vub wrote:

Uzique wrote:

In any one example of a Shakespeare question I would normally be expected to look at no less than 6 plays combined thematically, characteristically or contextually, and there's usually about 4 of these questions per paper, at basic-level Shakespeare study. 3-4 texts of any size, genre or author is hardly a mammoth task. He could compare the use of magic in Harry Potter, Narnia and The Lord of the Rings. Hardly academic weight-lifting, is it?

On the other hand, the example of comparing Goethe, Joyce and Dante is ridiculous. You could spend 3 years studying one text by any one of those authors- expecting a high-school student to synthesize some grand thesis by combining all of their epic-influenced works is an audacious task that I wouldn't even assign to a top literary professor.

Also, what the fuck does "he is not exploring run-of-the-mill stories, he is exploring literature" mean? Pretentious much? Are the likes of E.M. Forster, Flaubert, Hemingway and Baudelaire not good enough for you? I find short stories by authors in that calibre to surpass any 500-page 'novel' by some joke of an author such as Tom Clancy or Dan Brown!
Firstly, that is exactly what I was referring to by contrasting 'run of the mill' stories with 'literature', if you think my definition of 'run of the mill' stories include anything not written in prose form or studied at a tertiary level then you have grossly misinterpreted my words. Obviously our difference of opinion arises from our different educational backgrounds. Your standard English study may involve 10+ texts all studying one particular genre, linked contextually or thematically, and your English paper may ask four questions about this area. Our English units usually involve studying a couple of texts, linking it with poetry and films (all together perhaps 3-4 works per term, depending on size and depth of study). So as you can see, we're arguing for the same things, just from different perspectives.

Secondly, as I have stated above and to which you have fervently agreed, it is possible to have a relatively large literature project with 3-4 books. Jen never said that he was comparing the use of magic in Harry Potter, Narnia and LOTR, nor anything straightforward like that. For all we know he may be studying powerplays or film noir, both of which would involve extensive research and analysis.

Finally, by calling me pretentious it shows two things about you:
1. You're a narcissistic try hard attempting to prove that your grasp of the English language far exceeds a Norwegian's.
2. You have nothing better to do than pick fights with people on the internet. (I know this one is kind of ironic, but it had to be said)

Last edited by Vub (2009-07-12 04:05:59)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479
You're not really stating anything new in your last response, other than by highlighting just how wishy-washy and shite your English course-curriculum is.

Where do you get it from that I'm trying to prove my own use of the English language is better than Jens? I made a sarcastic comment, picking out the typo-error in his topic title, because it was funny considering the brief of the actual topic - to write an English literature project. I've never contrasted my use of the English language with his, nor on any level have I drawn connections between my taste in literature and his. To state that: a) the project is fairly easy, get on with it; and b) that comparing Goethe, Dante and Joyce is an incomprehensibly difficult task, is hardly asserting anything that slaps my e-Peen in his face and says "haha me > u". I fail to see where I'm picking fights; by that I'll just assume that your standard reaction to being responded to critically is to play the 'ur a troll omg!' card. Your statements about literature were wanky and unsubstantiated, that is all I put forward, and you have hardly dismissed it with your "Well I study English in conjunction with films and Australian TV soaps". When you argue that 3-4 books can be a large amount of literature to deal with, I argue that one could write 20,000 words on 3-4 short modernist stories by the above-listed authors. Reading-wise and research-wise, it's not a great deal of work. My point stands.

Last edited by Uzique (2009-07-12 04:13:44)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

Seriously guys, Uzique isn't worth it.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479
No, you're right, my reasoned input to this topic simply isn't worth it... completely ignore me... I once commented on AussieReaper's appearance and ridiculed his 4chan/EE-Chat no-life habits... discard everything I say, please, clearly none of my views or opinions are based in reality
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

Point proved, cheers.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479
So do you have anything to say about his literature project? Or are you just taking this opportunity to try and make yourself feel better? Taking the thread off topic with irrelevant, "I-r-butthurt" remarks about me - simply because I called you out for what you are - isn't contributing anything constructive. Seems to me like you're the one that's not worth the scroll-space, especially in this topic.
Vub
The Power of Two
Mate you're missing the point, let me highlight to you how the thread has progressed:

Jenspm: I want to undertake a relatively large literature project involving 3-4 texts.

You: How is 3-4 relatively large? Perhaps for a 12 year old.

Me: 3-4 texts can make a relatively large literature project, it depends on what you're studying.

And what does "When you argue that 3-4 books can be a large amount of literature to deal with, I argue that one could write 20,000 words on 3-4 short modernist stories by the above-listed authors" show? Are you stating that I'm wrong in saying that 3-4 books can be a large amount of literature to deal with?

Also "Your statements about literature were wanky and unsubstantiated, that is all I put forward, and you have hardly dismissed it with your "Well I study English in conjunction with films and Australian TV soaps".", what point does this support? I just compared our different English curriculum, it was a positive statement, unless you can factually disprove what I said, then your argument is invalid.

Clear this up for me, then I'll respond to what you have said. I don't want to double guess you.

Last edited by Vub (2009-07-12 04:26:55)

Vub
The Power of Two

AussieReaper wrote:

Seriously guys, Uzique isn't worth it.
It's fun mate, good to have a bit of pointless sparring now and again.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

Uzique wrote:

So do you have anything to say about his literature project? Or are you just taking this opportunity to try and make yourself feel better? Taking the thread off topic with irrelevant, "I-r-butthurt" remarks about me - simply because I called you out for what you are - isn't contributing anything constructive. Seems to me like you're the one that's not worth the scroll-space, especially in this topic.
I r butthurt? Why's that, because, wait for it.....

Uzique wrote:

I once commented on AussieReaper's appearance and ridiculed his 4chan/EE-Chat no-life habits...
You don't find me beautiful? Get your hand off it mate. I'm not going to lose much sleep over that one. lol

I also think attacking Jenspm over a simple spelling mistake can be forgiven, considering the bloke is Norwegian, but you can't get past it. And to think you supposedly read Shakespeare, you do realise that he made up words, don't you?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479

Vub wrote:

Mate you're missing the point, let me highlight to you how the thread has progressed:

Jenspm: I want to undertake a relatively large literature project involving 3-4 texts.

You: How is 3-4 relatively large? Perhaps for a 12 year old.

Me: 3-4 texts can make a relatively large literature project, it depends on what you're studying.

And what does "When you argue that 3-4 books can be a large amount of literature to deal with, I argue that one could write 20,000 words on 3-4 short modernist stories by the above-listed authors" show? Are you stating that I'm wrong in saying that 3-4 books can be a large amount of literature to deal with?

Also "Your statements about literature were wanky and unsubstantiated, that is all I put forward, and you have hardly dismissed it with your "Well I study English in conjunction with films and Australian TV soaps".", what point does this support? I just compared our different English curriculum, it was a positive statement, unless you can factually disprove what I said, then your argument is invalid.

Clear this up for me, then I'll respond to what you have said. I don't want to double guess you.
Factually disprove what you said? How can I factually prove something about an education system I am not involved in? If your English assignments involve cross-references to TV and other insipid, worthless mediums, then I can only draw assumptive conclusions about the overall quality of the course. Factually, my own personal experience of my own countries' English curriculum leads me to believe that, by all purposes, it is more intensive and more geared towards actual academic analysis, rather than poor 'modern media'-type study.

As I see it, my initial contribution to this thread was stating, to put it simply, that a literature project involving 3-4 books is not a mammoth task. Yes, hypothetically it all depends on what you read and choose to study - but read the tone and purpose of his post - he clearly needs a quick solution to complete an assignment that he has neglected for several months (perhaps the deadline-scheduling shows that, yes, someone could compare the works of Homer to Virgil with a Marxist interpretation, if they did so care). The answer I provided was to get on with it, and to remember that an 'open' literature project could basically boil down to comparing 4 short-stories, if he wanted to minimize the amount of time he would have to devote to reading and research. I provided a list of authors that each have literary oeuvres that are ripe with material to discuss and analyse, all in the more digestable format of short stories and prose. Despite my incredulous and dismissive tone, I don't think my posts "aren't worth it", so you can kindly dismiss and ignore the butthurt-ego comments from our local resident no-lifer.

Aussie, are you trying to make my laugh with your "Shakespeare made up words" statement? There's a difference between pioneering thousands of new words for the English vocabulary, and misspelling a commonly used and simple word in a poor mistake. Absolutely dire attempt at arguing, I must say. Also, if you weren't butthurt and had your actual reading-glasses on, you would see that my posts contain more than paragraph-upon-paragraph of "Lolol you can't speel" comments. It was a sarcastic opening comment, nothing more, drop your personal agenda and go back to the murky swampland that you more suitably inhabit.

Last edited by Uzique (2009-07-12 04:35:58)

DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6640|Finland

Your post is off topic. Please try to talk about the topic at hand. {quote}

See? One line of text wins over a whole wall of e-masturbation.
I need around tree fiddy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard