Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5801|Catherine Black
Artemis Fowl - series.. can't pick a favourite.

His Dark Materials - trilogy, again can't pick a favourite, since it's all kinda one story split into three.

Curious Incedent of the Dog in the Nighttime. Loved that book.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6722|Charlie One Alpha

presidentsheep wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Intelligent and mature? Like all the pseudo-intellectual fuckers that list 1984 and other cliché-classics that they were made to study in high-school for their age-16 exams? Or do you mean the other group of people that read Stephen King and Tom Clancy recycled-borefests, nicely filling that stereotype of casual-reader that bases their book tastes much in the same way an apathetic listener would base their music-tastes from the 'Top Albums' chart? There are no intelligent readers on BF2s, and the proof for that lies in the fact that no single member has mentioned James Joyce in 2 entire pages of contribution.
Wow, you're a bit of a prick aren't you?

Ever considered people put 1984 because they actually like it
I cant actualy believe someone's trying to be elitist about fucking books.
I put 1984 at my top spot because not only is it a great book, it is also more socially relevant now than ever. What with the Patriot Act, the infringement of privacy rights around the globe, security camera's everywhere "for our protection", the world is starting to look a lot like Orwell's 1984. I think every single person on the planet should read 1984 - so it can serve as a warning. I'm hoping it'll make us a little more suspicious of anti-terrorist and anti-crime laws that are in fact violating our privacy: chips in passports that allow our movements to be tracked. Chips on public transportation passes that allow our movements to be tracked. The government tracking our online activities and tapping our conversations.
1984 warned us about this sort of thing. And that is why it tops my list, not because I had to study it in high-school.

Last edited by LaidBackNinja (2009-07-14 15:59:44)

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6698|Espoo, Finland

Finray wrote:

Artemis Fowl - series
uuh, I loved those books
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6483

presidentsheep wrote:

Gawwad wrote:

It's Uzique.
He sounds like a 12 year old with a thesaurus to me.
You're the one extolling the virtues of a book prescribed to 12 year olds by the school curriculum...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Most of the books I read are history or science related.

Not exactly literary masterpieces but entertaining non-the-less. These are just three that come to mind right now.

A Brief History of Time
America's Hidden History: Untold Tales of the First Pilgrims, Fighting Women, and Forgotten Founders Who Shaped a Nation
Five Points

Currently finishing up What Hath God Wrought
Anything historical by Oxford Press is good . They are long reads but detailed.
If you like long detailed reads and books about science, then I really can't recommend Penrose's Road to Reality enough. It's hard work, but worth it.
I will check it out. I just read Anathem (SciFi) and it was a brain drain.. in the sense that you practically had to learn another language to understand it .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5974|Places 'n such

Uzique wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

Gawwad wrote:

It's Uzique.
You're the one extolling the virtues of a book prescribed to 12 year olds by the school curriculum...
So you're judging a book based exclusively on the fact that 12 year olds are made to read it at school.

12 year olds read it therefore no-one can like it.

I bet you're one of those people who bought the copy of harry potter with the different cover so they seemed 'mature'...
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6483

presidentsheep wrote:

Uzique wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

So you're judging a book based exclusively on the fact that 12 year olds are made to read it at school.

12 year olds read it therefore no-one can like it.

I bet you're one of those people who bought the copy of harry potter with the different cover so they seemed 'mature'...
Hahaha... no. I actually do like George Orwell's works, but I'm more into things like Burmese Days and Keep The Aspidistra Flying than his more widely-known works. The only thing I'm mocking here is the tendency for almost everyone to namedrop 1984 or Animal Farm as their token 'smart book' or 'modern classic'- picking on the cliche, if nothing else.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard