aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5753|Roma
I need some good new books to read and want to see what you guys recommend.
My three all time favorite books are:
- 1984 by G.Orwell
- The godfather by Mario Puzo
- Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Last edited by aerodynamic (2009-07-10 10:19:42)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6542|Texas - Bigger than France
Compilation of Short Stories:

The Thrill of the Grass, by WP Kinsella - topic = baseball
Different Seasons (because Shawshank is in there), Stephen King - King's a great writer, if he doesn't do horror
The Celestial Railroad, by Hawthorne - literary parable stuff

Long books:
Winterdance, by Paulsen - topic = humor, random guy decides to run the Iditarod

A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson - topic = humor, guy decides to walk the Appalacian Trail.  Hilarious

Endurance, by Alfred Lansing (there's several authors) - topic = Shackleton's voyage to the South Pole, stranded on ice for two years...without boat...all hands survived

Into the Wild, by John Krauker - topic = college student moves to Alaska to live off the land

Into Thin Air, by John Krauker - topic = disaster occurs with climbers on Mount Everest

Not too hard to figure out what kind of stuff I usually read...
The_Lance_117
CANADA STRONG
+110|5936|CANADA
Upcountry  - Nelson Demille =  vietnam war vet goes to vietnam and blows shit up
The Longest Day  - Cornelius Ryan = great book about operation neptune
The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo  - Some Swedish sod = crime novel, lots of kinky sex

Last edited by The_Lance_117 (2009-07-10 11:01:28)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6529|Global Command
The Stand--Stephen King

The Lord of The Rings ( you have to read it twice )

The Vampire Lestat--Anne Rice
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6156|Vancouver | Canada
Anything Tom Clancy.
The Art of War.
...Redwall series?
GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5932|CA
1.  The Origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt.  I once used it to squash the largest beetle I've ever seen.
2.   Plato's Republic by Plato.  One time, my remote control died.  I threw this book at the TV, and the channel changed to some reality TV.  It changed my life.
3.   Eclipse Of Reason by Max Horkheimer.  It has swastikas on the cover, which reminds me of video games.  Great coaster for my 64 ounce barrel of Mt. Dew.
Monkey Spanker
Show it to the nice monkey.
+284|6252|England
Whitewash ----- Simon Strong (the life & times of Pablo Escobar)
Shining Path----Simon Strong  (The definative history of the shing path geurillas in Peru)
Chicken Hawk-- Auto biography of a Huey pilot in Vietnam the only book I have cried my heart out & then nearly wet myself laughing to on the same page)
Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f30415b2d1cff840176cce816dc76d89a7929bb0.png
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

Consider Phlebas

American Gods

Catch 22
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6473|Kakanien
- the bible
- ilias
- odysseia

(in terms of influence)
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6537|Long Island, New York
1. Watchmen (if it counts)
2. Survivor
3. Lord of the Flies
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
2. Touching the Void
3. High Adventure

(Honorable mentions: Into Thin Air, The Hatchet); Despite not going camping or hiking much (or even wanting to), I really love reading books about the wilderness (someone mentioned Gary Paulsen earlier, I love his books).
Benzin
+576|5998
1. Blood River -- Talks about how the Congo has had a completely backwards development. Instead of improving, the country regressed. Very interesting read. The author's name is Tom Butcher.

2. The Bin Ladens -- I forget the author's name and I am not in my apartment, so I can't look. But his first name is Steve. Very interesting look into the family history and at the same time the development of Saudi Arabia from a backwards desert kingdom into an international player.

3. The Islamist -- This one is by Ed Hussein, a British Muslim who was a former radical Islamist. VERY interesting look into how England let Islamists grow and flourish and how they are doing it around the world, mainly through Saudi influence and money. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a good look into how someone can become a radical Muslim. It's not that long, unfortunately, but very descriptive, full of great information and a serious page-turner. I finished it in like 3 days.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5753|Roma
what do you guys recommend for me to read?
I usually go for the conspiracy/thriller/detective/dystopian novels, and soon i'm going to leave for a long train trip..
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6690|Tampa Bay Florida
All Quiet on the Western Front -- Erich Marique or something.  Pretty damn good book.... especially now considering WW1 history has been drowned in all the recent WW2 stuff
Benzin
+576|5998

aerodynamic wrote:

I usually go for the conspiracy/thriller/detective/dystopian novels, and soon i'm going to leave for a long train trip..
Cardinal of the Kremlin by Clancy is quite good. I am reading Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (just started it) and it's pretty interesting. If you want a long one, though, give The Bin Ladens book I wrote about above a shot. It's interesting and true.
Lai
+186|6151
Top three is not gonna work for me.

Illiad
Odyssea
Tain Bó Cuailnge
The LoTR + Hobbit + Silmarillion
North and South (Elizabeth Gaskell)
Ivanhoe (Sir Walter Scott)

IMO these are some of the truly epic ones. Still have to read the Alexiad amongst others.

Spearhead wrote:

All Quiet on the Western Front -- Erich Marique or something.  Pretty damn good book.... especially now considering WW1 history has been drowned in all the recent WW2 stuff
Almost; Erich Maria Remarque

Great also because WWI history from a German perspective is practically non existant.

aerodynamic wrote:

Long train trip heh,..

Divina Commedia?

Last edited by Lai (2009-07-10 13:17:31)

Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6197|Winland

The catt in the hat
Gren egs and ham
Fox in sox

i Lov Dr. Seuss.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6537|Long Island, New York

Freezer7Pro wrote:

The catt in the hat
Gren egs and ham
Fox in sox

i Lov Dr. Seuss.
That was funny. Do you do standup? That was funny. You're a funny guy.
ColCarnage
taw
+283|5595

Poseidon wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

The catt in the hat
Gren egs and ham
Fox in sox

i Lov Dr. Seuss.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5753|Roma

Lai wrote:

Top three is not gonna work for me.

Illiad
Odyssea
Tain Bó Cuailnge
The LoTR + Hobbit + Silmarillion
North and South (Elizabeth Gaskell)
Ivanhoe (Sir Walter Scott)

IMO these are some of the truly epic ones. Still have to read the Alexiad amongst others.

Spearhead wrote:

Almost; Erich Maria Remarque

Great also because WWI history from a German perspective is practically non existant.

aerodynamic wrote:

Long train trip heh,..

Divina Commedia?
I studied enough of that in school.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6468
All the President's Men - Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
Doom: Repercussions of Evil - Peter Chimaera.
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5933|United States
american psycho
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6197|Winland

Poseidon wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

The catt in the hat
Gren egs and ham
Fox in sox

i Lov Dr. Seuss.
I know. I'm totally hilarious.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

CapnNismo wrote:

1. Blood River -- Talks about how the Congo has had a completely backwards development. Instead of improving, the country regressed. Very interesting read. The author's name is Tom Butcher.
Thats sitting on this desk in front of me right now
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6408|Somersetshire
The hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
The Meaning of Liff.

I haven't chose a 3rd because there are too many I could put there
Guide to the galaxy really got me into Douglas Adams and from there I read the meaning of Liff (one of the funniest books to just pick up, open at any page and read, I recommend the meaning of liff to anyone with a sense of humour, some of it you would need to be British to understand though)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard