fixed, I deleted some it as I posted.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT
Lowing, you never addressed my points.

Masques wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Masques wrote:

but often inside academia the large public universities are more highly regarded than the Ivies.
The large, good public universities (UCB, UCLA, UM, and potentially UNC, and UVA), and only certain Ivies. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, minimally, are seen as superior to the publics in everything I've seen. If you want to provide something to contrary, I'd welcome it.

questionable actions regarding the admissions of the progeny of wealthy donors.
Its not 1970 anymore. This isn't really a major issue in current admissions cycles. I've heard multiple stories of double legacy applicants being rejected from the top private schools they had legacy at.

Edit: To clarify on the top school FA policies, Harvard covers the entire cost of attending if your income is under 60k (provided you aren't supported by a multimillion dollar trust or bank account). They ensure, still assuming relatively normal assets, that families from 60k - 120k pay less than 10% of their income in direct contribution. From 120k to 180k, the figure is about 10%, and from thereon, it grows. Yale's functions similarly, although it is a bit less generous for those in the 120k - 180k range.
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr … management
(I did my undergraduate work at KU so I'm partial , but I subsequently attended a private university and my soon-to-be wife teaches at a private university. So I'm not bitter or jumping on Harvard, in fact quite the opposite. I'd recommend anyone attend the best school they can get into. Clearly Harvard provides access to resources that can't be quantified that students without means can really make use of.)

That's just one example (and they rate based on those in the academy), but I was generally speaking to certain areas of study. Harvard may not be the "best". It is certainly a very wealthy, elite, and selective institution, but it is far from the best in all cases.
That, I will grant. There are clearly certain graduate programs that Ivy league schools are not superior at, such as Brown or Dartmouth at graduate-level engineering. I think when considered as a sum, though, the Ivy league schools rise to the top.

Also, what private university did you go to, and where does your fiancee teach? I'm thinking Georgetown considering your location, but its hard to tell for sure.

It's Harvard, what would you expect? They are a bit behind the times. Really, though, that article is from 2002. I'd like to see it updated considering the massive increase in competition and selectivity over the last five years. I won't try to assert that legacy isn't considered. I just don't think that with the current climate of selectivity, it is abused at anything near the level is was in the past.

(As a note, I did mention 1970 initially as the was around the time of perhaps the most egregious (at least publicized) legacy admission. I'm rather glad my university has long departed from those days.)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard