[-DER-]Omega
+188|6828|Lithuania

lowing wrote:

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

lowing wrote:

If curriculums are vastly different, then it is not academics, rather opinion, that is being taught.
Undoubtedly the level of study and expectancies involved in a university such as Harvard are quite simply much higher than in community colleges. I attend one and they require only the bare minimums to "succeed" in. There are many advanced courses that comm. colleges simply do not offer, therefore, your potential for learning is quite limited.
you are adding advanced courses to this.
Good luck getting a degree in Harvard having only passed 101 courses.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/fe717ed1eb823c939460a42f15bced7dd0057c51.png
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6723|Eastern PA

lowing wrote:

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

lowing wrote:

If curriculums are vastly different, then it is not academics, rather opinion, that is being taught.
Undoubtedly the level of study and expectancies involved in a university such as Harvard are quite simply much higher than in community colleges. I attend one and they require only the bare minimums to "succeed" in. There are many advanced courses that comm. colleges simply do not offer, therefore, your potential for learning is quite limited.

I am comparing apple to apples, math 101 in Harvard, should teach the same thing as math 101 in a CC. Is this not correct?
A degree is more than the "101s". It's probably true that the first two years of any 4 yr degree can be completed at a community college, but beyond that is where the true value of a degree at an Ivy or flagship public/private university is gained. The advanced study in a field is where graduates are made and working under the right faculty or around the latest instruments or with access to more funding, produces a better graduate.

Now I'm not saying that there is much difference between Harvard or a highly regarded public school (U of KS, UMD, U Mich., UVA, etc.), but the dividing line is really at the community college level.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Masques wrote:

lowing wrote:

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

I am comparing apple to apples, math 101 in Harvard, should teach the same thing as math 101 in a CC. Is this not correct?
A degree is more than the "101s". It's probably true that the first two years of any 4 yr degree can be completed at a community college, but beyond that is where the true value of a degree at an Ivy or flagship public/private university is gained. The advanced study in a field is where graduates are made and working under the right faculty or around the latest instruments or with access to more funding, produces a better graduate.

Now I'm not saying that there is much difference between Harvard or a highly regarded public school (U of KS, UMD, U Mich., UVA, etc.), but the dividing line is really at the community college level.
This I agree with, but to get back to the orginal point, if you want a Harvard degree, then you pay for it. If you are going to insist the tax payer pays your way, then you should get used to a CC.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

lowing wrote:

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

lowing wrote:

No, it isn't.

I don't know much about the US system, but it seems to be very much geared towards Ivy League schools, much as the British system is towards Oxbridge. I've done a degree at a fairly decent university (Sussex) and I've also done some similar courses at a top university (Imperial). The courses and the content of them was dramatically different - which is fairly obvious when you don't have any sort of centralised curiculum. That's why with universities it matters so much, because they set the courses and the content of them themselves as well as the exams and pass marks. Different universities, different standards.

Moreover you're missing the big point here, which is the employment prospects you get from degrees from different universities, which vary massively.

You're really demonstrating your naivety when it comes to these things. I'm gathering from all this that you don't have a degree and have never had any sort of job where what university you went to would be a major issue. Is that the case?
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6723|Eastern PA

lowing wrote:

Masques wrote:

lowing wrote:

This I agree with, but to get back to the orginal point, if you want a Harvard degree, then you pay for it. If you are going to insist the tax payer pays your way, then you should get used to a CC.
You know the gov't ends of making money off of grants given to lower income college kids right? We're talking about after graduation income and the fact that grants don't even begin to cover the cost of even lower-tier public universities. Kids who get grants often get loans as well and the gov't derives income from interest on the loans.

35% of the low-income students you sneer at use grants to go to CCs anyway (often to fulfill remedial requirements for more elite institutions).
http://www.guidetocareereducation.com/f … ell-grants

Grants, etc are a smart investment.
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6723|Eastern PA

Bertster7 wrote:

I don't know much about the US system, but it seems to be very much geared towards Ivy League schools, much as the British system is towards Oxbridge. I've done a degree at a fairly decent university (Sussex) and I've also done some similar courses at a top university (Imperial). The courses and the content of them was dramatically different - which is fairly obvious when you don't have any sort of centralised curiculum. That's why with universities it matters so much, because they set the courses and the content of them themselves as well as the exams and pass marks. Different universities, different standards.
It really depends on your field of study. One of the top schools for social sciences, Michigan, is a public (operated in part or in full by a state government). Michigan also has an excellent law school.

For most jobs outside of the academy a degree from Harvard or Yale will have more of a "wow" factor than a Michigan or Pennsylvania State, but often inside academia the large public universities are more highly regarded than the Ivies. This is mostly due to things like grade inflation or questionable actions regarding the admissions of the progeny of wealthy donors. Public universities are largely free of that kind of taint and thus are thought to provide a more rigorous education.

This isn't always the case. Harvard has possibly the best medical school in the country and plenty of well regarded advanced programs, but at the baccalaureate level in terms of pure academics Ohio State, Albany, or Berkeley probably beat out Harvard.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Masques wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

It really depends on your field of study. One of the top schools for social sciences, Michigan, is a public (operated in part or in full by a state government). Michigan also has an excellent law school.

For most jobs outside of the academy a degree from Harvard or Yale will have more of a "wow" factor than a Michigan or Pennsylvania State, but often inside academia the large public universities are more highly regarded than the Ivies. This is mostly due to things like grade inflation or questionable actions regarding the admissions of the progeny of wealthy donors. Public universities are largely free of that kind of taint and thus are thought to provide a more rigorous education.

This isn't always the case. Harvard has possibly the best medical school in the country and plenty of well regarded advanced programs, but at the baccalaureate level in terms of pure academics Ohio State, Albany, or Berkeley probably beat out Harvard.
In terms of wanting a job, that "wow factor" is what'll get you it - globally.
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6723|Eastern PA

Bertster7 wrote:

Masques wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

In terms of wanting a job, that "wow factor" is what'll get you it - globally.
True, but again in this country it depends on what you're studying and where you want to practice your craft. If someone came to me and told me they were choosing between Yale and U Conn. I'd not hesitate to recommend Yale, but they have just about an equal chance to make it going to either institution.

But if it's between George Mason and NVCC I'd strongly recommend Mason on the basis of future prospects alone. No CC is going to get you much beyond a trade skill, but at the university level, specifically at the baccalaureate level you have equal prospects at almost any American university if you work even a moderate amount.

Graduate level...it gets tricky. And that's not even taking into account the "professional" schools.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone
Community colleges give out degrees now, wtf?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

DrunkFace wrote:

Associate Degrees.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto

FatherTed wrote:

sorry uzikins, you should have just gone to one of the old polys, 'parently oxbridge is the same teaching.
He doesn't attend oxbridge. Royal Holloway.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

Ilocano wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Associate Degrees.
A Diploma?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

DrunkFace wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Associate Degrees.
A Diploma?
Yup:  http://www.allnursingschools.com/featur … a-nursing/
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

Ilocano wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Associate Degrees.
A Diploma?
Thats what I thought... now back to Lowing.

lowing wrote:

but to get back to the orginal point, if you want a Harvard degree, then you pay for it. If you are going to insist the tax payer pays your way, then you should get used to a CC.
Fixed.
So we're back to, you have to be rich to be able to get the education required to get a 'good' job, because CC don't give the same training or education as a university.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

DrunkFace wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

A Diploma?

lowing wrote:

but to get back to the orginal point, if you want a Harvard degree, then you pay for it. If you are going to insist the tax payer pays your way, then you should get used to a CC.
Fixed.
So we're back to, you have to be rich to be able to get the education required to get a 'good' job, because CC don't give the same training or education as a university.
Actually, no.  If you are Harvard material and low income (Household income under $60K), Harvard will cover your entire tuition.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT
Lowing, you don't really understand how the non-classroom aspects of a university, such as the quality of your classmates, also contributes to the education received.

lowing wrote:

This I agree with, but to get back to the orginal point, if you want a Harvard degree, then you pay for it.
Private entities can use their money as they see fit. If it doesn't fit your view that people must provide everything for themselves, at least recognize that permitting them to spend their money as they want does align with your views about reduced government intervention.

you endorse handing over college education through the efforts of others instead of through the efforts of yourself.
One could also argue gaining admissions to a top college constitutes the effort necessary to receive the aid. Its not as if kids who go to Harvard or Yale were slacking in high school; conversely, they were working much harder than most of their peers.

Masques wrote:

but often inside academia the large public universities are more highly regarded than the Ivies.
The large, good public universities (UCB, UCLA, UM, and potentially UNC, and UVA), and only certain Ivies. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, minimally, are seen as superior to the publics in everything I've seen. If you want to provide something to contrary, I'd welcome it.

questionable actions regarding the admissions of the progeny of wealthy donors.
Its not 1970 anymore. This isn't really a major issue in current admissions cycles. I've heard multiple stories of double legacy applicants being rejected from the top private schools they had legacy at.

Edit: To clarify on the top school FA policies, Harvard covers the entire cost of attending if your income is under 60k (provided you aren't supported by a multimillion dollar trust or bank account). They ensure, still assuming relatively normal assets, that families from 60k - 120k pay less than 10% of their income in direct contribution. From 120k to 180k, the figure is about 10%, and from thereon, it grows. Yale's functions similarly, although it is a bit less generous for those in the 120k - 180k range.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2009-07-08 15:44:58)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911

Ilocano wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

lowing wrote:

Fixed.
Actually, no.  If you are Harvard material and low income (Household income under $60K), Harvard will cover your entire tuition.
And good for Harvard, but that is exactly the kind of thing Lowing is arguing against.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

No, it isn't.

Moreover you're missing the big point here, which is the employment prospects you get from degrees from different universities, which vary massively.

You're really demonstrating your naivety when it comes to these things. I'm gathering from all this that you don't have a degree and have never had any sort of job where what university you went to would be a major issue. Is that the case?
I'd make a comment here about his general naivety, but of late he keeps getting offended and challenges me to a battle of wits.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

ghettoperson wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

No, it isn't.

I'd make a comment here about his general naivety, but of late he keeps getting offended and challenges me to a battle of wits.
Actually by the way you run for the wookwork, it is no challenge at all, it is quite amusing.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

*runs for the woodwork*

I've just decided that debating you is a waste of time, so I'll make snide comments instead.

But in any case, I'm curious about Bertster's assertion that you don't have a degree.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

ghettoperson wrote:

*runs for the woodwork*

I've just decided that debating you is a waste of time, so I'll make snide comments instead.

But in any case, I'm curious about Bertster's assertion that you don't have a degree.
I guess I would troll like you as well, if I could never really defend my position.

No I do not have a degree. I couldn't afford college, and was too lazy to do it when I could afford it. I went from HS straight into the miltary where I learned my trade and got licensed.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

You can think that if you want, but I'm more than happy to debate other more constructive posters. I just don't consider you to be one of them.

Anyway, I'm trying to become the liberal version of USMarine.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

ghettoperson wrote:

You can think that if you want, but I'm more than happy to debate other more constructive posters. I just don't consider you to be one of them.

Anyway, I'm trying to become the liberal version of USMarine.
LOL, a shocker, you are going to dismiss an argument rather than debate one, You are in good liberal company in this forum.

Last edited by lowing (2009-07-08 16:33:57)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

What?
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6723|Eastern PA

nukchebi0 wrote:

Masques wrote:

but often inside academia the large public universities are more highly regarded than the Ivies.
The large, good public universities (UCB, UCLA, UM, and potentially UNC, and UVA), and only certain Ivies. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, minimally, are seen as superior to the publics in everything I've seen. If you want to provide something to contrary, I'd welcome it.

questionable actions regarding the admissions of the progeny of wealthy donors.
Its not 1970 anymore. This isn't really a major issue in current admissions cycles. I've heard multiple stories of double legacy applicants being rejected from the top private schools they had legacy at.

Edit: To clarify on the top school FA policies, Harvard covers the entire cost of attending if your income is under 60k (provided you aren't supported by a multimillion dollar trust or bank account). They ensure, still assuming relatively normal assets, that families from 60k - 120k pay less than 10% of their income in direct contribution. From 120k to 180k, the figure is about 10%, and from thereon, it grows. Yale's functions similarly, although it is a bit less generous for those in the 120k - 180k range.
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr … management
(I did my undergraduate work at KU so I'm partial , but I subsequently attended a private university and my soon-to-be wife teaches at a private university. So I'm not bitter or jumping on Harvard, in fact quite the opposite. I'd recommend anyone attend the best school they can get into. Clearly Harvard provides access to resources that can't be quantified that students without means can really make use of.)

That's just one example (and they rate based on those in the academy), but I was generally speaking to certain areas of study. Harvard may not be the "best". It is certainly a very wealthy, elite, and selective institution, but it is far from the best in all cases.

And re: the admissions issue.
http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=214982

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard