Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6519|San Diego, CA, USA
Men, women share U. of C. rooms
NEW POLICY | Male, female undergraduates can now share dorm, no questions asked

Sun Times wrote:

July 6, 2009

BY DAVE NEWBART Staff Reporter/[email protected]

Charlie Barlow plans to room with one of his best friends next semester at the University of Chicago: Lauren "Lulu'' Danzig.

The two are among 50 students who will take advantage of a new policy allowing male and female undergraduates to room together -- something that was forbidden throughout the 117-year history of the Hyde Park

For 19-year-olds Danzig and Barlow, it's not a romantic thing: She already has a boyfriend on campus. She says she simply prefers to live with men, and Barlow is a very close friend.

"I tend to get along better with guys,'' she said. Still, she said, she couldn't imagine sharing a dorm room with her boyfriend.

Although the policy is not aimed at romantic relationships, boyfriends and girlfriends aren't prohibited from living together because the U. of C. will not ask why students want to be roommates, officials said.

The change in policy was debated for the last couple of years after advocates for transgender students pushed the university to allow "gender neutral'' housing. They said some transgender students feel uncomfortable rooming with students of the same biological sex when they actually identify with the opposite sex.
Interesting...
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6376|North Carolina
giggity giggity
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6687
sounds cool if she is hot...but If she is 250-300 pounds you better hide your food...lol
Love is the answer
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

"For 19-year-olds Danzig and Barlow, it's not a romantic thing: She already has a boyfriend on campus. She says she simply prefers to live with men, and Barlow is a very close friend."

omfg anyone who buys that is a fucking retard.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6687

usmarine wrote:

"For 19-year-olds Danzig and Barlow, it's not a romantic thing: She already has a boyfriend on campus. She says she simply prefers to live with men, and Barlow is a very close friend."

omfg anyone who buys that is a fucking retard.
she won't have anytime for school...lol
Love is the answer
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
Sounds sexy...

I suppose it's a good thing you can request it for transgender people (I still am not quite sure what "transgender" is, but don't really care to know), but it will result in some hilarity hopefully. Example: Boyfriend-girlfriend who then break up during the school year
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6260|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

DesertFox- wrote:

Sounds sexy...

I suppose it's a good thing you can request it for transgender people (I still am not quite sure what "transgender" is, but don't really care to know), but it will result in some hilarity hopefully. Example: Boyfriend-girlfriend who then break up during the school year
's funny, that's the logic i used in the essay-writing samples my english professors forced us to write
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6617
Someones goin get raped.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5965|Truthistan
Future News

July 9, 2010

The University of Chicago is experiencing a baby boom. Several women undergrads who have boyfriends and male room mates are now pregnant. In unrelated news talk show host Mauri Povich will be taping a live "whose your daddy?" espisode in the auditorium.

Last edited by Diesel_dyk (2009-07-06 21:15:53)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

Harmor wrote:

Oh' they'll be questions .. mostly by pissed of insecure boyfriends.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6295|New Haven, CT
It isn't just University of Chicago instituting this policy. I know the University of Michigan and Stanford have it as well.
Lai
+186|6122

Kmarion wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Oh' they'll be questions .. mostly by pissed of insecure boyfriends.
Exactly, but that's just their problem.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6382|'Murka

So now they don't have to worry about sneaking boyfriend/girlfriend in or out of their dorm rooms any more. Here's to making sexual logistics simpler.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6781|Nårvei

FEOS wrote:

So now they don't have to worry about sneaking boyfriend/girlfriend in or out of their dorm rooms any more. Here's to making sexual logistics simpler.
But that was half the fun sneaking in ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
FEOS
+1,182|6382|'Murka

Varegg wrote:

FEOS wrote:

No shit. Now there's a whole generation missing out on that adult learning experience opportunity.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum
i think the whole dorm thing is funny (not like it sucks, just it's different). the american exhange kids we had over at our uni couldn't get used to having their own room
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

FatherTed wrote:

i think the whole dorm thing is funny (not like it sucks, just it's different). the american exhange kids we had over at our uni couldn't get used to having their own room
Well why not? when some else is paying for your "free" education, might as well toss in a private room as well.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum

lowing wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Well why not? when some else is paying for your "free" education, might as well toss in a private room as well.
im having a bit of a thick day, what exactly are you asking me?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

FEOS wrote:

No shit. Now there's a whole generation missing out on that adult learning experience opportunity.
Presumably we're already missing out on that, because I don't know of any halls that aren't mixed gender.

FatherTed wrote:

lowing wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

He thinks that all 'young people' are having their way paid through life by their parents/the government/the taxpayer, so that was his opportunity to get in a jibe about that.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6710|Toronto | Canada

ghettoperson wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Presumably we're already missing out on that, because I don't know of any halls that aren't mixed gender.
They do here, most places that arent Catholic have almost all mixed residences
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

ghettoperson wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

FEOS wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

lowing wrote:

He thinks that all 'young people' are having their way paid through life by their parents/the government/the taxpayer, so that was his opportunity to get in a jibe about that.
I'm sorry, I thought in socialized Europe, that people WERE having their way paid through college by the taxpayer, is this not true all of a sudden?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

Oh, I see what you mean. I thought you meant our fees were paid by our parents or whoever. Yes, I suppose our fees are subsidised. We do still pay a substantial amount ourselves though.

In all fairness though, whilst you have a point on the fees, our accommodation is paid by ourselves.

Last edited by ghettoperson (2009-07-07 10:40:01)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum

lowing wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

FEOS wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

I'm sorry, I thought in socialized Europe, that people WERE having their way paid through college by the taxpayer, is this not true all of a sudden?
It's a bit of a split (assuming you don't get bursarys and all that)

The government will give us a tuition grant covering the full amount of tuition fees (which makes sense on their part)

We can then apply for a maintainence loan, which covers accomodation, and should leave you with a few hundred £ to play with after.

However to actually live at uni (read; eat) you either a)have to get a job, or b)get mummy and daddy to help you out.

So as it stands i reckon i'll come out of university with around £9-12k debt. This then doesn't have to be repayed until you earn over a certain income p/a, and then it's at a fairly low rate, so as to allow you to actually get a house and all that.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5514|Toronto

Winston_Churchill wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

FEOS wrote:

They do here, most places that arent Catholic have almost all mixed residences
Can you guys request female roommates over in St Mike's too? I know in my residence they've had it since the 70's. We're hardly dealing with groundbreaking shit here guys. Nobody uses it for the most obvious of reasons- cooties.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
FEOS
+1,182|6382|'Murka

ghettoperson wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Yes. Yes you are.

Nothing gets the blood pumping when having to evade the RA before/after rabbit-like coitus.
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard