Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

I don't need mod powers to discover that you made this thread ATG ... what is your point, that we don't care enough about global events because we don't rush and post a thread about it? ... or is it your revolution that doesn't get enough attention?
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

ATG wrote:

Citizens being bayoneted, martial law, mass arrests...

Not a peep from the forum. 
Also, clerics in Iran call the election results bogus.
Obama supports a Hugo Chavez style dictator in Honduras.

I sometimes do not get the attention span from the forum and subjects we choose to argue over.
Because there isw nothing new here, China has always killed its citizens, Iran has always been crazy, and Obama loving anti-American leaders, no news scoop there either.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5598|Vacationland
You know why no one's said anything? Because everyone is too caught up with Maddog and idiocy like that
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
Why should I?

This is DST and he basically says I have no different than a anti-semite and holocaust denier.

Fucking stupid thing to say, and I am not going to let that go unanswered because of phony limitations or a false pretense of civility amongst moderators.

And it was off topic, as well as being a cheap shot not relevant to anything in the op.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717

CameronPoe wrote:

1. The riots hit the news only very recently. Xinjiang should not and should never have been part of China. Same goes for Tibet. Mao has a lot to answer for. Xinjiang is China's version of Russia's Chechnya. I support their legitimate separatist movements.
2. What is happening in Iran has been denounced by many here. The fact of the matter is that it is an internal matter for Iranians, which will hopefully be resolved in their favour.
3. Manuel Zelaya is the democratically elected head of the nation of Honduras. It ain't just Obama who backs him - it's the entire OAS. I thought the days of military dictatorships in Latin America had come to a close.
Zelaya was trying to change the rules and stay in office another term...and the people spoke... No Mini Chavez for Honduras thanks.

"June 28 (Bloomberg) -- Honduran President Manuel Zelaya was ousted by the military today after his opponents accused him of ignoring court rulings and seeking to change the constitution through a referendum to hold onto power. "
That would be a dictatorship no?
   “What we have done here is an act of democracy, because our army has complied with the order of the court, prosecutors and judges,” Micheletti said at a news conference, AFP reported. "
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= … XcLXUG4Y4c
Love is the answer
Varegg
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

ATG wrote:

Why should I?

This is DST and he basically says I have no different than a anti-semite and holocaust denier.

Fucking stupid thing to say, and I am not going to let that go unanswered because of phony limitations or a false pretense of civility amongst moderators.

And it was off topic, as well as being a cheap shot not relevant to anything in the op.
So why did you make this thread then? ... you made the OP about things that are not very relevant to illegal aliens that is your biggest concern yet you complain there are enough threads about other issues that doesn't really concern you ...

I'm confused ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Zelaya was trying to change the rules and stay in office another term...and the people spoke... No Mini Chavez for Honduras thanks.

"June 28 (Bloomberg) -- Honduran President Manuel Zelaya was ousted by the military today after his opponents accused him of ignoring court rulings and seeking to change the constitution through a referendum to hold onto power. "
   “What we have done here is an act of democracy, because our army has complied with the order of the court, prosecutors and judges,” Micheletti said at a news conference, AFP reported. "
In case you hadn't noticed he was going to attempt to get the constitutional reference to term limits changed (or not as the case might have turned out) by means of a democratic referendum. That isn't exactly dictatorial. The army on the other hand took pre-emptive action on the basis of decisions taken by supreme court judges, who of course are not directly elected by the people and as such the army move is far far less democratic and far more dictatorial.

It strikes me as quite strange that constitutional amendments through democracy appear to be effectively banned in Honduras.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-07-06 14:02:08)

ATG
Banned

Varegg wrote:

ATG wrote:

Why should I?

So why did you make this thread then? ... you made the OP about things that are not very relevant to illegal aliens that is your biggest concern yet you complain there are enough threads about other issues that doesn't really concern you ...

I'm confused ...
Fair question.
And obvious; this thread has jackshit to do with illegal aliens and it goes to show, some mods can't resist the occasional troll post.
Fair enough as we are all humans.
I am pointing in this and other threads to follow the fact that Obama is not just " willing to deal " with dictators, but he encourages them and aspires to be one.
Varegg
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

ATG wrote:

Varegg wrote:

ATG wrote:

Why should I?

I'm confused ...
Fair question.
And obvious; this thread has jackshit to do with illegal aliens and it goes to show, some mods can't resist the occasional troll post.
Fair enough as we are all humans.
I am pointing in this and other threads to follow the fact that Obama is not just " willing to deal " with dictators, but he encourages them and aspires to be one.
Well ... firstly backing dictators is nothing new when it comes to the US government ... as long as it is the right kind of dictator ...

Secondly Zelaya is not a dictator, he is democraticly elected and his proposal as Cam pointed out in the post above yours explained the process of prolonging the presidental period was democratically handled ...

Iran is getting a new treatment previously unknown by a US presidency and it's called dialog ...

China is like pointed out in several threads so closely connected that pressing them on human rights etc would not be in the best interest of the US ...

Maybe not the best way to handle it but that's the way it is pr date ...

[sarcasm]Trolling? ... pfffffffffffart ... <---- trolling tbh[/sarcasm]
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6666|NT, like Mick Dundee

Heard about them, figured somebody here would post it all as I'm busy with work atm. Boss flies out for Greece on the 15th, so we need to get the rest of the job done by this Friday or so, which meant working over the weekend + extra long hours. Haven't actually been onto google news for a few days.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

In case you hadn't noticed he was going to attempt to get the constitutional reference to term limits changed (or not as the case might have turned out) by means of a democratic referendum. That isn't exactly dictatorial. The army on the other hand took pre-emptive action on the basis of decisions taken by supreme court judges, who of course are not directly elected by the people and as such the army move is far far less democratic and far more dictatorial.
Against a prior ruling against it no? His branch of government is not responsible for making the laws. He was issued a cease and desist order. He then went about firing high ranking officials and ordering his supporters out into the streets. Admittedly their military, congress, and supreme court could have went about stopping his unconstitutional actions in a better, non coup looking way.. Still, when one branch goes about ignoring the rightful and constitutionally assigned orders of two other branches.. sketchy.

There is a nice explanation here: http://zerosheep.com/2009/07/01/no-coup-in-honduras
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Leo Laporte is in china.. he seems to be unaffected..lol
http://twitter.com/leolaporte
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Varegg
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

That is actually just a transcript of the present law Kmar explaining why he was ousted ... the laws he attempted to change by democratic referendum ... and if the process got a chance to finish and voted for in a proper manor it would hardly be an act of treason as the author of your link likes to repeat over and over again ... so by that standard and how it was done it was clearly a coup ...

Laws are subject to change in most countries all the time ...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Varegg wrote:

That is actually just a transcript of the present law Kmar explaining why he was ousted ... the laws he attempted to change by democratic referendum ... and if the process got a chance to finish and voted for in a proper manor it would hardly be an act of treason as the author of your link likes to repeat over and over again ... so by that standard and how it was done it was clearly a coup ...

He ignored the law and violated their constitution. It doesn't how many times you repeat the word democratic, he was out of line. You need to study up on the role of the executive branch. It has not changed in Honduras. If he had obeyed the initial orders to cease and desist he could have plead his case (even though he had none) under constitutional procedure. He didn't, and he began firing people who were acting under their rule of law.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Varegg
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

Kmarion wrote:

Varegg wrote:

He ignored the law and violated their constitution. It doesn't how many times you repeat the word democratic, he was out of line. You need to study up on the role of the executive branch. It has not changed in Honduras. If he had obeyed the initial orders to cease and desist he could have plead his case (even though he had none) under constitutional procedure. He didn't, and he began firing people who were acting under their rule of law.
I'm only aware of the head of the army being dismissed when he refused to cooperate about a public electorial vote concerning the changing of the law on that particular point ... what is wrong with having the people state their opinion, that was what the head of the army and the supreme court wouldn't let happen ...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Varegg wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Varegg wrote:

I'm only aware of the head of the army being dismissed when he refused to cooperate about a public electorial vote concerning the changing of the law on that particular point ... what is wrong with having the people state their opinion, that was what the head of the army and the supreme court wouldn't let happen ...
An illegal vote.  You do realize that it was already ruled upon right? It failed in congress and the supreme court supported the decision. That is 2 out of 3 branches of government ruling on the matter. That is why they also have a system of checks and balances. Yes public opinion is important, but constitutional procedure needs to be followed as well. You can't just have one man rewriting the constitution. ESPECIALLY when that man, who is obviously doing this for himself, is the head of a branch that does not even legislate.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

Kmarion wrote:

Against a prior ruling against it no? His branch of government is not responsible for making the laws. He was issued a cease and desist order. He then went about firing high ranking officials and ordering his supporters out into the streets. Admittedly their military, congress, and supreme court could have went about stopping his unconstitutional actions in a better, non coup looking way.. Still, when one branch goes about ignoring the rightful and constitutionally assigned orders of two other branches.. sketchy.

There is a nice explanation here: http://zerosheep.com/2009/07/01/no-coup-in-honduras
He was in violation of the constitution but several things strike me:

- How the army/judiciary had a basis for arresting/deporting him and preventing him from returning.
- How any nation is supposed to enjoy any level of stability if presidents are only entitled to one term (it takes 7 - 12 years to plan and build one high voltage power line, never mind meaningfully change an economy/curriculum/healthcare system).
- What kind of retarded constitution stipulates that a proposal of constitutional reform is basically criminal!!! (I may have to check my own, perhaps it contains similar).

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-07-06 14:54:51)

ATG
Banned
Because he got his supporters to break into military and steal documents that would have went against him, " allegedly ".

Those supporters ranks were swelled with venezuelian (sp) interlopers armed with phoney ballots. ( Allegedly ).

While were at it, there is plenty of evidence that hugos re-election was rigged as well. How does the U.S. Benefit from a south american empire dictated by the rabid little douche hugo chavez?? That's what the controversy in honduras is all about. The military there said no to well worn tricks by a chavez puppet, tricjs he used in his own country.

Why would obama support such a constitutional coup? Obvious.

So there is a precedent to point to when he does it here.

Oh yes, the obama admin wants a sucessful coup in honduras.

He wants us all to have the freedom to obey.
Varegg
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

Kmarion wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

An illegal vote.  You do realize that it was already ruled upon right? It failed in congress and the supreme court supported the decision. That is 2 out of 3 branches of government ruling on the matter. That is why they also have a system of checks and balances. Yes public opinion is important, but constitutional procedure needs to be followed as well. You can't just have one man rewriting thier constitution. ESPECIALLY when that man, who is obviously doing this for himself, is the head of a branch that does not even legislate.
What failed in congress and the supreme court was the decission to have a public vote not prolonging the precidency ... could it be that the public vote and opinion was not in their best interest?

And if a public vote was held it would with a positive result for him infact be a whole nation rewriting the constitution, not just one man ...

We had the same in Norway when we in 1972 and 1994 held public votes for joining or not joining the EU ... the parliament had most votes in favor of joining and could have made a decission against the will of the people obviously that voted against it twice ... that is true democracy when the legislators put the will of people over their own interests ...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

He was in violation of the constitution but several things strike me:

- How the army/judiciary had a basis for arresting/deporting him and preventing him from returning.
- How any nation is supposed to enjoy any level of stability if presidents are only entitled to one term (it takes 7 - 12 years to plan and build one high voltage power line, never mind meaningfully change an economy/curriculum/healthcare system).
- What kind of retarded constitution stipulates that a proposal of constitutional reform is basically criminal!!! (I may have to check my own, perhaps it contains similar).
Yes he was clearly in violation, and as I said it probably could have been handled a better way.
I agree with this:
I believe that the arrest and removal of Zelaya probably should have been handled differently, for appearances’ sake if nothing else.  If the legislature had acted to remove him before the military arrested him, there would be much less international criticism.
Here is the basis for deporting him.
Whether immediate arrest was necessary is easy to debate in hindsight.  It must be remembered that the Honduran authorities were facing an unprecedented constitutional crisis due to the illegal and unconstitutional acts committed by Zelaya, with no clearly constitutional way to remove him from power.  We in the U.S. — and most other countries — are used to having the luxury of constitutionally defined methods of dealing with malfeasance by elected officials, not to mention decades or even centuries of jurisprudence.  The officials in the Honduran military, legislature, and judiciary did not have this luxury.  What they had was a situation that was potentially deadly to their young democracy, and they acted in the way they thought best to defend it.
When he began ignoring the rules he became an enemy to their constitution (interpret that any way you want). It was the military's duty to remove him. I believe they should have got approval first.

Constitutional reform is not illegal. It is the job of the legislature to make those reforms though. There is an obvious conflict of interest when the president subverts the law with the only goal of extending his political career.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Varegg wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Varegg wrote:

An illegal vote.  You do realize that it was already ruled upon right? It failed in congress and the supreme court supported the decision. That is 2 out of 3 branches of government ruling on the matter. That is why they also have a system of checks and balances. Yes public opinion is important, but constitutional procedure needs to be followed as well. You can't just have one man rewriting thier constitution. ESPECIALLY when that man, who is obviously doing this for himself, is the head of a branch that does not even legislate.
What failed in congress and the supreme court was the decission to have a public vote not prolonging the precidency ... could it be that the public vote and opinion was not in their best interest?

And if a public vote was held it would with a positive result for him infact be a whole nation rewriting the constitution, not just one man ...

We had the same in Norway when we in 1972 and 1994 held public votes for joining or not joining the EU ... the parliament had most votes in favor of joining and could have made a decission against the will of the people obviously that voted against it twice ... that is true democracy when the legislators put the will of people over their own interests ...
Maybe it wasn't in their best interest, but those people were elected also. They were acting within their established laws and constitution (which was also voted on). You can't just conveniently select which laws you follow and when.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Varegg
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

Kmarion wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Maybe it wasn't in their best interest, but those people were elected also. They were acting within their established laws and constitution (which was also voted on). You can't just conveniently select which laws you follow and when.
True ... hence why it was going on a public vote seeing as those who is appointed to follow and rule with the lawbook in hand didn't agree ... as mentioned laws get outdated and should be changed when they no longer apply as originally thought or was made with another scenario in mind under totally other circumstances ... with that said I don't know how old the laws in question are and/or under what conditions they were deemed necessary ...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

He must really be at ends with congress. Otherwise he would have done what our President must do... use his proxies in congress. 'Cause as it stands right now, congress must introduce law.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Varegg
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

Kmarion wrote:

He must really be at ends with congress. Otherwise he would have done what our President must do... use his proxies in congress. 'Cause as it stands right now, congress must introduce law.
Sure thing and I totally agree ... but what congress would have passed against a public vote, imo that is what they feared ... the public opinion, and when not in sync with the public you have infact lost democracy
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

ATG wrote:

Citizens being bayoneted, martial law, mass arrests...

Also, clerics in Iran call the election results bogus.
Obama supports a Hugo Chavez style dictator in Honduras.

I sometimes do not get the attention span from the forum and subjects we choose to argue over.
Well, we generally expect Iran and China to be fucked up.  As for Obama's support for this Honduran guy...  that was just stupid.  I really don't know what he's thinking right now.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard