cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6692|NJ
I was thinking the other day cause I saw a North Carolina license plate(first in flight) and America has really brought the world the first of a lot of things..

Ford was the first car.
Wright brothers brought the world flight
We invented Nuclear Power
The telephone.

What is your country known for making creating?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

Ford was the first car.
The telephone.

Last edited by Macbeth (2009-07-01 14:49:57)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6401|North Carolina

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I was thinking the other day cause I saw a North Carolina license plate(first in flight) and America has really brought the world the first of a lot of things..

Ford was the first car.
The telephone.

There's actually a debate over whether we did the flight thing first or the Brazilians.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3320713.stm
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6592|Michigan, USA

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Ford was the first car.
The telephone.

Ford was the first to mass produce cars cheaply using the assembly line, not the first to bring cars to the market, that would be Karl Benz(if your talking gasoline powered cars)
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6839|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Erh...

Shit...I mean....erh..

Igloos?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6552

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Ford was the first car.
The telephone.

I thought Alexander Graham Bell was Canadian? And isn't Karl Benz of Germany the inventor of the automobile?

Ireland:

Stream of consciousness writing, American/British infrastructure, etc.

Addendum: countries don't create things - individuals/groups/companies do.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6219|Escea

Ships.
The art of TAKING OVER ZE WORLD!
Jet engine.
Radar.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6459|Tyne & Wear, England
The Telephone
The Lightbulb

This will not end well.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Will leave open so long as you play nice.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6692|NJ
Interesting I was actually going to write Correct me if I'm wrong.. But hey it was done anyway..

My bad, who would have thunk it..

Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot (1725-1804)      1769      STEAM / Built the first self propelled road vehicle (military tractor) for the French army: three wheeled, 2.5 mph.      France
Robert Anderson     1832-1839     ELECTRIC / Electric carriage.     Scotland
Karl Friedrich Benz (1844-1929)     1885/86     GASOLINE / First true automobile. Gasoline automobile powered by an internal combustion engine: three wheeled, Four cycle, engine and chassis form a single unit.     Germany Patent DRP No. 37435
Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler (1834-1900) and Wilhelm Maybach (1846-1929)     1886     GASOLINE / First four wheeled, four-stroke engine- known as the "Cannstatt-Daimler."     Germany
George Baldwin Selden (1846-1922)     1876/95     GASOLINE / Combined internal combustion engine with a carriage: patent no: 549,160 (1895). Never manufactured -- Selden collected royalties.     United States
Charles Edgar Duryea (1862-1938) and his brother Frank (1870-1967)     1893     GASOLINE / First successful gas powered car: 4hp, two-stroke motor. The Duryea brothers set up first American car manufacturing company.     United States

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/auto.html

Source..

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2009-07-01 15:17:43)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
jsnipy
+3,276|6519|...

CameronPoe wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Ford was the first car.
The telephone.

I thought Alexander Graham Bell was Canadian? And isn't Karl Benz of Germany the inventor of the automobile?

Ireland:

Stream of consciousness writing, American/British infrastructure, etc.

Addendum: countries don't create things - individuals/groups/companies do.
He's correct. Ford invented the assembly line production model of the auto, not the auto itself.

also ...

intermittent wipers

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-07-01 15:23:46)

Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5593|Vacationland
Baseball, American Football, and Basketball
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Ford was the first car.
if you dont want flaming, dont fail in the OP
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6839|Reykjavík, Iceland.
We invented hockey over a thousand years ago
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6651

Might as well close the thread now. It's inevitably going to turn into a flame war. Hell, this already is an indirect flame war ("Hey look what my country did!").

Like CP said, it's individuals, not countries. So don't waste your time bragging about what other people did. Plus the countries with larger populations have higher chances of finding someone who did something noteworthy. Which brings on more flames ("Hey look, my country has more stuff than yours!").
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Why is it not important to consider the environment that allowed the inventor to succeed? A nation that promotes the entrepreneurial spirit and does not operate under the every mans a servant ideology will certainly help to drive innovation.  If Isaac Newton was forced to work the fields 20 hours a day I highly doubt you would even know his name.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

Kmarion wrote:

Why is it not important to consider the environment that allowed the inventor to succeed? A nation that promotes the entrepreneurial spirit and does not operate under the every mans a servant ideology will certainly help to drive innovation.  If Isaac Newton was forced to work the fields 20 hours a day I highly doubt you would even know his name.
But in Isaac Newton's time most people were forced to work in the fields a majority of their day.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
Isaac Newton would have also not been known had it not been for countless others around the world in the centuries or millennia before him creating this and that and spreading the information around. Everything is built upon something else. That's why the argument for applying things to specific countries is kinda silly, in some ways
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
you thought america invented the car? ooookaay

lots tbh, but like cam and kmar said it's not really a country that creates new stuff/ideas.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
The#1Spot
+105|6536|byah
Hmm

1. Obesity
2. Funding to illegal immigrants
3. Largest deficit
4. Excessive bailouts
5. Intelligence is not a prioritized in the criteria of becoming president
6. False freedom
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

But in Isaac Newton's time most people were forced to work in the fields a majority of their day.
lol.. but Mr. Newton himself was privileged enough. Greater opportunity should improve results... but you knew that.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Mekstizzle wrote:

Isaac Newton would have also not been known had it not been for countless others around the world in the centuries or millennia before him creating this and that and spreading the information around. Everything is built upon something else. That's why the argument for applying things to specific countries is kinda silly, in some ways
That's what we Americans do best. Build on and make it a reality for the masses.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6407|'Murka

Kmarion wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

That's what we Americans do best. Build on and make it a reality for the masses.
I thought that was Japan's gig?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

FEOS wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

I thought that was Japan's gig?
naa they've got dibs on whale slaughter. .. btw because it's what we do best.. that does not mean it's exclusive to us.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard