Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6612|London, England
via software. Apparently Sony have filed a patent for Cell processor emulation of the PS2's "Emotion Engine"

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/29/so … rocessors/

PlayStation 3s without PS2 backwards compatibility are missing the Emotion Engine, a chip Sony designed as the PS2’s CPU. What if the PS3’s cell processor could emulate the Emotion Engine? Theoretically, all PlayStation 3s would be able to play PS2 games even if a console didn’t have the proper hardware. According to a recent patent filed by Sony Computer Entertainment in the US, Sony has the code and technology ready to do this.
Nice. A future firmware update giving backwards compatibility to consoles that don't have it (some do like the old 60GB, but most like my 40GB don't)

Helpful for me, cos my PS2 broke
Oisín<3
>rush.Irishpride
+139|5417|Dublin, Ireland
Wow.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6700|Charlie One Alpha
If true, this would be awesome. Shadow of the Colossus on my widescreen monitor? Hell yeah.

EDIT: My TV is tiny and pathetic compared to my pc monitor.

Last edited by LaidBackNinja (2009-06-30 12:57:32)

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
Scratch[USA]
+105|6538
Sweet Jesus that is the best news I have heard all week
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6521|Boston, MA
That's some really good news for Sony in general. Less money on parts for the bigger HD versions and everybody will have backwards compatibility. If the cheaper PS3 has backwards compatibility, it may sell better.
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6339|Belfast
YES!!!!

Last edited by henno13 (2009-07-02 15:05:53)

liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6618|UK
But I sold my PS2 games
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6645

Good!

I'm eventually going to buy a PS3, and I was considering buying one of the older ones so I can still play my PS2 games. But then I heard rumors of the PS3 slim and I'd really like to get that.

Important point, though: Sony is most likely going to sell the PS2 games on the PSN. So if you kept your PS2 games, keep 'em with the PS2; unless you're willing to fork out to buy a game you already own.

Tangent: I just wish the modders and hackers would find a way to crack the PS3. The PSP is awesome because I can put the games I legally already own for PS1 onto my PSP instead of having to buy them again off the PSN. It would be nice to see the same thing happen with PS2 games (and even PS1 games) on the PS3.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6644
Meanwhile, I just use pcsx2. Yeah it's hardly perfect, but it's getting there. I played both Persona 3 and 4 on it flawlessly.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5895|CA
I have the 80GB PS3 model which has backwards compatibility, I wonder what Sony's motives were to end the backwards compatibility feature/function of the PS3.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6383|Southern California
Man, if Sony does this it will be so fucking awesome.

TopHat01 wrote:

I have the 80GB PS3 model which has backwards compatibility, I wonder what Sony's motives were to end the backwards compatibility feature/function of the PS3.
Cost and packaging most likely.

Last edited by VicktorVauhn (2009-07-07 19:36:50)

Scratch[USA]
+105|6538
interview with  Sony Director of Network Operations Eric Lempel
"You'll definitely see another firmware update this year, but it won't be like what the rumors say."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/167966/s … umors.html

could be true or just trying to keep the cat in the bag a liitle longer

Last edited by Scratch[USA] (2009-07-07 20:37:43)

G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
+24|6182|Contae Chorcaí | Éire

mtb0minime wrote:

Important point, though: Sony is most likely going to sell the PS2 games on the PSN. So if you kept your PS2 games, keep 'em with the PS2; unless you're willing to fork out to buy a game you already own.
Ya, they have already been doing this. Even PS1 games are for sale!
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6528|Long Island, New York
Never did understand why they took it away.

Pity I sold my PS2 + games to help pay for my computer though.
teek22
Add "teek22" on your PS3 fools!
+133|6372|Bromley, London

I really hope this happens. Would save me having to hook up my PS2 with those wires controllers to play gran turismo or something.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6444|The Twilight Zone
will the feature be free?
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6631|Your moms bedroom
wtf took so long...

I sold all my ps2 games and got an xbox360 anyways
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6339|Belfast

.Sup wrote:

will the feature be free?
yeah, it should come in the form of a software update, i think.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6655|NT, like Mick Dundee

VicktorVauhn wrote:

TopHat01 wrote:

Mmm... It has nothing at all to do with them still manufacturing and selling PS2s.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6383|Southern California

Flecco wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

TopHat01 wrote:

Mmm... It has nothing at all to do with them still manufacturing and selling PS2s.
Likely that too... But in all honesty one of the criticism of PS3 has always been its higher price and one of the selling points has always been its list of features. While I can't be assed to look it up I remember PS3s have always been sold at a loss. I see one less chip to manufacture being a way to minimize that loss and help them at least try and work them selfs into the position to lower price. After all BC is nice, and a decent selling point... but I don't think its TOO heavily used. I know I just about NEVER used it on my PS2, too busy playing new shiny games.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6655|NT, like Mick Dundee

That's true Vauhn. Then again given time I think Sony will recoup any losses on the PS3.

For starters, they manufacture most of it themselves (afaik), and so can cut down on costs over time like Ninty. Unlike a CERTAIN OTHER CONSOLE.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard