Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
Ok, so I've been reading broadsheets on a daily/weekly basis for several years now, and I'm interested in getting a subscription to a glossy newsmagazine- for the better depth and context on lead stories, for the various types of academic and journalistic advocacy, and generally just to have something worth flicking through on the coffee table each week. Choices, choices! Does anyone else here subscribe to a newsmagazine?

I'm thinking of a more mainstream subscription choice, at least at first- TIME Magazine, perhaps, or The Economist.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Time or Newsweek are the two best bets.
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6438|Amsterdam‫
Der Spiegel
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
there is so much filler/advertisements in these magazines that you really are only paying for 2 solid articles ...i wonder if there is an online edition
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6724|St. Andrews / Oslo

Dad subscribes to The Economist, and I read the articles I find interesting - and they're all very good.

Though, mind you, I can't say it's better than anything else, as it's the only one I've tried They also have a pretty good podcast on iTunes.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
You do get subscriber access to online editions, special online features, quarterly inserts etc. when you subscribe. There are a lot of incentives, even with the heavy advertisement. To be honest, with that consideration, even when I buy a typical daily broadsheet, I'm only really reading and using about 1/2 of the paper's content. There's just as much filler, advertisement and useless inserts/sport section material in all of the mainstream printing industry . Thanks for the heads up though.

What's the significant difference between TIME and Newsweek? I thought they were basically both American mainstream-culture puppetshows... different political angles, or what? The Economist is my definite second candidate, just because of the more academic and science/art driven material.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

I've had a subscription to the Economist for a few years now and it's well worth it. Time I find to be a complete waste of money. Have you ever picked one of those things up? I bought one in the airport a few weeks ago, and it has about 10 pages to it. Never read Newsweek so I can't really comment on it.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum
Top Gear, or Zoo.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6529|Long Island, New York
Newsweek is always an interesting read.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Well sorta. Time is more news and fact and newsweek is more based on views. I do like the wide range of different views you get in newsweek from different editors. You got the cash and I am sure you can read fast enough so sample a few then pick one.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

Uzique wrote:

What's the significant difference between TIME and Newsweek? I thought they were basically both American mainstream-culture puppetshows... different political angles, or what? The Economist is my definite second candidate, just because of the more academic and science/art driven material.
Time is human-intersest driven profiles and "news stories" - expect to find profiles on people like Charles Manson, Barack Obama, Warren Buffet, Tiger Woods - scions of business, international sports figures, political elite and other random "interesting" people in global pop culture.

Newsweek is decidely more America-centric in its articles.  Expect a lot of commentary and "news stories" on domestic American going's on regarding proposed legislation, societal contracts and random human interest stories.  I say more America-centric in regards to how America is interacting with the rest of the world - stuff like the American presence in Somalia, American presence in Afghanistan, etc.  I find Newsweek to be more mainstream watered-down than US News & World Report, but both are decent reads.

I subsribe to a few monthly/quarterly mags, and of those I probably enjoy Foreign Affairs the most.  You get real instiutional insight into American foreign policy, often with contributions from people well-entrenched in the international community.  Plus, in being published by the Council on Foreign Relations you are kind of getting the info straight from the horse's mouth.  The CFR claims to be non-partisan but it is straight pro-establishment; still, you get a more realpolitik rundown.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I subsribe to a few monthly/quarterly mags, and of those I probably enjoy Foreign Affairs the most.  You get real instiutional insight into American foreign policy, often with contributions from people well-entrenched in the international community.  Plus, in being published by the Council on Foreign Relations you are kind of getting the info straight from the horse's mouth.  The CFR claims to be non-partisan but it is straight pro-establishment; still, you get a more realpolitik rundown.
Sounds interesting, I'll have to check that out.
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5972|Toronto
We've been subscribed to the Economist for well over 15 years, never regretted it. It's definitely one of the best magazines that I've read, and it never gets dull. Economics, politics, history, science, arts, etc...and it's geared towards a university-educated crowd too (as opposed to TIME and Newsweek, which I find to be aimed at 15-year olds), which is a huge bonus. Definitely my favourite.

As another candidate, there's Monocle, which is from London. It's one my mother likes quite a bit. It's primarily centred around life and style, with technology and politics thrown in everywhere. Quite an interesting, different read--its contributors are from the world over. Although the subscription is a bit pricey (75 pounds), it's a big read that'll keep you entertained and informed for two weeks.
I like pie.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462

TSI wrote:

We've been subscribed to the Economist for well over 15 years, never regretted it. It's definitely one of the best magazines that I've read, and it never gets dull. Economics, politics, history, science, arts, etc...and it's geared towards a university-educated crowd too (as opposed to TIME and Newsweek, which I find to be aimed at 15-year olds), which is a huge bonus. Definitely my favourite.

As another candidate, there's Monocle, which is from London. It's one my mother likes quite a bit. It's primarily centred around life and style, with technology and politics thrown in everywhere. Quite an interesting, different read--its contributors are from the world over. Although the subscription is a bit pricey (75 pounds), it's a big read that'll keep you entertained and informed for two weeks.
The Economist is £85.00/year even with student discount, even more expensive than Monocle

TIME and the mainstream American ones are like, £35/yr. Pffft.

One thing I will say about The Economist, recognizing the high standard and intellectual image, is that it does seem pretentious and a little self-aware, at times. Some of the articles are quite speculative as well, even though generally they pepper the features with evidence and facts/stats. I'm definitely swayed towards The Economist, but to be honest I read The Times most days of the week and often get the weekend Guardian / Observer... perhaps the laidback and casual nature of TIME is more up my street for a weekly coffee-table read.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6464|Kakanien
Faz
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5972|Toronto

Uzique wrote:

TSI wrote:

The Economist is £85.00/year even with student discount, even more expensive than Monocle

TIME and the mainstream American ones are like, £35/yr. Pffft.

One thing I will say about The Economist, recognizing the high standard and intellectual image, is that it does seem pretentious and a little self-aware, at times. Some of the articles are quite speculative as well, even though generally they pepper the features with evidence and facts/stats. I'm definitely swayed towards The Economist, but to be honest I read The Times most days of the week and often get the weekend Guardian / Observer... perhaps the laidback and casual nature of TIME is more up my street for a weekly coffee-table read.
85? I can get it here for $89, which is about 45 quid. Wierd.

Nonetheless, you're right about the arrogance. Quoting themselves is a bit, well, snobbish.
I like pie.
Graphic-J
The Artist formerly known as GraphicArtist-J
+196|6118|So Cal
No news magazines. though I do love Time and even People.
Only non News magz I subscribe to are Layers and Photoshop User.
https://i44.tinypic.com/28vg66s.jpg
bennisboy
+829|6638|Poundland
As others have said, the economist is great. The articles are informative AND interesting. Cant comment on the others tho
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462

bennisboy wrote:

As others have said, the economist is great. The articles are informative AND interesting. Cant comment on the others tho
Bennis, do you know where you can get The Economist subscriptions for decent prices? Even their student-discount deal seems to be double the price of the other major newsmagazines... feckin' arrogant pricks.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

juggs
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6702|Sweden
Time is great cant tell on the others.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard