Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6519|San Diego, CA, USA
Source: http://www.environmentalleader.com/2009 … r-windows/

https://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4540/reflectionwindow.jpg

Environmental Leader wrote:

The California Air Resources Board has adopted a regulation that will require new cars sold in California, starting in 2012, to have reflective windows. The board says this will help keep cars cooler and, because air conditioners will be used less, increase fuel efficiency.

The move follows an idea floated earlier this year by the board to ban black cars. After facing global ridicule, the air resources board said it had no plans “at this time” to regulate the color of car paint.

The board says that car makers can add chemicals to the glass during manufacturing to absorb the sun’s energy and use laminated glass coated with invisible microscopic specks of metal to reflect it.

“My view is that this is not another car regulation,” the San Francisco Chronicle reports board Chairwoman Mary Nichols as saying. “We’re supposed to be in the business of moving California toward a new energy-efficient world, and that includes reflective glass.”
But I thought we couldn't have that because police couldn't see the people inside the car?  The same reason why we can't have tinted front windows???
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Does nothing of any real effect. Just looks good on paper.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6519|San Diego, CA, USA
I wonder how much this coating will add to the cost of the car?  And like you said...does it really help?
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6350|MN
Not much, yes it does.  Still a bad idea to force it though.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Harmor wrote:

I wonder how much this coating will add to the cost of the car?  And like you said...does it really help?
No it's just going to be an expensive new things that'll cause more problems them help fix.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

The black car thing has been for the most part debunked.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
SealXo
+309|6506
stupid, and i still can't get dark tint....?
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5567|Vacationland

Kmarion wrote:

um...no

A Mythbusters Fansite wrote:

SPINOFF: A black car heats up faster than an identical white car. (From Pilot 2)

confirmed

A fan wrote in and asked a follow up question: "Does the color of a car affect the way it heats up?". The MythBusters used two identical cars, one black the other white and left them both out in the summer heat with thermometers in both. By mid-afternoon the black car had heated up to a temperature of 135 °F while the white car topped off at 126 °F, almost 10 degrees cooler.
There word isn't law but it's pretty darn close.

It's also fing hot here so I can see the reasoning behind the law
314 K here tomorrow fml
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6500|Global Command

Kmarion wrote:

That won't matter.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

I wasn't talking myth busters. There were some articles I read that said the temperatures aren't dependent on that relatively thin layer of paint that goes over the steel. Eventually they reach the same level. The interior of the cars do not vary that much. The paint does of course.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent … 3b24f.html
"The exterior of a black car gets hotter than a white car, but it does not get transferred to the interior any more than in a white car," he said. "Try this experiment: Take your hand and put it on the headliner. It's not very hot. The energy that heats up the inside of a car comes through the windows."

That can be serious business in August in desert locales like Baghdad or Dallas.

"In the first 10 minutes, the temperature inside a car with the windows rolled up will rise 19 degrees," Mr. Null said. "In the next 10, it goes up another 10 degrees. After an hour, it's usually up 43 degrees."

Some areas of a vehicle get even hotter.

On a 95-degree day, for example, asphalt street surfaces will hit a temperature of 150 degrees. The top surface of a black dashboard typically reaches 175 degrees.

"Some slow-cook recipes use that temperature," he said.

Now that I'm older and slightly wiser, please let me amend two decades of advice. Buy a government-issue white vehicle and get the windows tinted dark. It might not look great, but it will be cool in a real-world way.
It is the interior color that really determines the interior heat.. seat colors, upholstery, dash ..
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5567|Vacationland

Kmarion wrote:

I wasn't talking myth busters. There were some articles I read that said the temperatures aren't dependent on that relatively thin layer of paint that goes over the steel. Eventually they reach the same level. The interior of the cars do not vary that much. The paint does of course.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent … 3b24f.html
"The exterior of a black car gets hotter than a white car, but it does not get transferred to the interior any more than in a white car," he said. "Try this experiment: Take your hand and put it on the headliner. It's not very hot. The energy that heats up the inside of a car comes through the windows."

That can be serious business in August in desert locales like Baghdad or Dallas.

"In the first 10 minutes, the temperature inside a car with the windows rolled up will rise 19 degrees," Mr. Null said. "In the next 10, it goes up another 10 degrees. After an hour, it's usually up 43 degrees."

Some areas of a vehicle get even hotter.

On a 95-degree day, for example, asphalt street surfaces will hit a temperature of 150 degrees. The top surface of a black dashboard typically reaches 175 degrees.

Now that I'm older and slightly wiser, please let me amend two decades of advice. Buy a government-issue white vehicle and get the windows tinted dark. It might not look great, but it will be cool in a real-world way.
You should see the episode .  It's a pretty easy test to do, just find someone with a black car and someone with a white one then leave them together in the sun. Preferably they should be identical.  Come back in two hours and I bet you'll notice a difference in the tempertures of the interiors of the car. 

That is essentially what the Mythbusters did they left the cars out for A WHILE.  Your article even says to get a white car .  Believe it or not it makes a difference.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6500|Global Command

Kmarion wrote:

A buddy I used to climb with all the time would always have a hot meal at the end of the day; he would place a can of raviolies on the dash board of his or my truck and when we got back most times it would be steamy when opened. Not piping hot, but beyond warm.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

The biggest determining factor is the interior of the vehicle. Remember that heat inside is trapped and is not affected by other environmental conditions rain/wind.. er driving ..etc. Tinting your windows would most certainly help though.

He said government-issued white.. I believe he was be facetious.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

A buddy I used to climb with all the time would always have a hot meal at the end of the day; he would place a can of raviolies on the dash board of his or my truck and when we got back most times it would be steamy when opened. Not piping hot, but beyond warm.
We're subtropical over here. Super humidity. Feels like you have a blanket on most of the day.. ug

ATG wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

That won't matter.
You know whats going to happen.. instead of #000000 it's going to be labeled #000001. Silly cali.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6260|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

Narupug wrote:

314 K here tomorrow fml
um

314 Kelvin = 40.85 C = 105.53 F

in maine? lolwut
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6336|California
Hm that sucks, now you can't see naked chicks
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

cowami wrote:

Narupug wrote:

314 K here tomorrow fml
um

in maine? lolwut
lol
http://www.wunderground.com/US/Region/U … ature.html
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Kmarion wrote:

cowami wrote:

Narupug wrote:

314 K here tomorrow fml
um

in maine? lolwut
lol
thought that was the other weather underground for a sec.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

Macbeth wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

cowami wrote:

um

in maine? lolwut
lol
thought that was the other weather underground for a sec.
lol.. it's actually my source for weather it's ..

I like the layout, http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin … uery=33601
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6687
another bizzarre  well thought out idea by the Cali govt...  Maybe this will help close the 24 billion dollar gap?
Love is the answer
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS

cowami wrote:

Narupug wrote:

314 K here tomorrow fml
um

in maine? lolwut
wut? How did you convert the kelvin into a celsius figure with decimals?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6636|NT, like Mick Dundee

ATG wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Pies/potatoes in foil under the hood here.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6552|SE London

Spark wrote:

cowami wrote:

Narupug wrote:

314 K here tomorrow fml
um

in maine? lolwut
Because Absolute Zero is −273.15 °C.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5567|Vacationland

cowami wrote:

Narupug wrote:

314 K here tomorrow fml
um

in maine? lolwut
Not in Maine yet , I'm still it Cowtown USA e.g. Sacramento
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS

Bertster7 wrote:

Spark wrote:

cowami wrote:

um

in maine? lolwut
Because Absolute Zero is −273.15 °C.
Oh yeah... oops. Been thinking in 3-sig-figs for too long...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard