Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

Carrie Fisher didn't make it. 2016 eh? Who'd be a celebrity.

So would it be cool to do a Peter Cushing on her for Episode VIII? Seems a bit soon given Cushing's been dead since the 90s.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
uziq
+492|3454

Ty wrote:

i would have put her chances at < 5%.

[star wars trope]
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX

Ty wrote:

So would it be cool to do a Peter Cushing on her for Episode VIII? Seems a bit soon given Cushing's been dead since the 90s.
Pretty sure her 'appearance' in Rogue One was CGI
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6686|United States of America

uziq wrote:

Ty wrote:

i would have put her chances at < 5%.

[star wars trope]
That's impossible, even for a computer!
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6624|Little Bentcock

Ty wrote:

Theyve already wrapped taping for 8.

Want to know the chances they kill her off now? Its high. Its very high.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

Dilbert_X wrote:

Ty wrote:

Pretty sure her 'appearance' in Rogue One was CGI
It was but it was an aged down thing, not a brought-back-to-life thing.

I don't think she would have cared but it may be a bit weird for others.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney

uziq wrote:

another celebrity who really didn't look after their self.
Like one of my mates said in a reply to a comment to a fairly nihilistic meme "Also, lots of the people we grew up enjoying the work of are gonna die. Cause they're at the age where addiction really catches up with you"
uziq
+492|3454

Jaekus wrote:

uziq wrote:

Like one of my mates said in a reply to a comment to a fairly nihilistic meme "Also, lots of the people we grew up enjoying the work of are gonna die. Cause they're at the age where addiction really catches up with you"
a lot of people talking about recent celebrity deaths seem to confuse their famous characters or stage personas with their actual real lives.

even with carrie fisher, who had an insanely publicised and publicly dissected alcoholism and drug addiction, they seem to think she's 'princess leia'.

it's like yeah ... your heroine in that wholesome movie was coked the fuck out the entire time. of course she's dead.

it's also gross seeing people literally saying shit like 'may the force be with her' because she's dead. a person died. she was that character for about 7 hours of fucking screen time.

Last edited by uziq (2016-12-28 04:13:52)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone

uziq wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

uziq wrote:

a lot of people talking about recent celebrity deaths seem to confuse their famous characters or stage personas with their actual real lives.

even with carrie fisher, who had an insanely publicised and publicly dissected alcoholism and drug addiction, they seem to think she's 'princess leia'.

it's like yeah ... your heroine in that wholesome movie was coked the fuck out the entire time. of course she's dead.

it's also gross seeing people literally saying shit like 'may the force be with her' because she's dead. a person died. she was that character for about 7 hours of fucking screen time.
And it's literally the only thing she was known for. No one would give any flying fucks had she not had that 7hours of screen time.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

uziq wrote:

Its been a complaint of mine for a while that the tabloids mix real news events, celebrity lifestyle and fictional soap opera into one big mess which mangles the minds of the readers.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3454
i think star wars fans are particularly susceptible to existing in some cheesy-kitsch manichean world of goodies and baddies and happy endings.

i have a pet theory that the widespread popularity of shows like game of thrones and star wars infantilise people and their approach to complex issues like politics. you only learn from the culture you surround yourself in, and in this case it's campy high-fantasy bollocks.
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney

uziq wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

uziq wrote:

All these people that were at the heyday of cinema and music who have died this year (and other years, and next year, and beyond) have died largely from excess, mainly being drugs and/or alcohol. It catches up with you. Which I'm telling myself a lot lately (and have been drinking a lot over the past decade or so).
uziq
+492|3454
i think we can safely presume that us mere non-showbiz mortals do not engage in the same level of excess and sybaritism as rockstars and hollywood actors. i picture boogie nights or something. the coke was much purer and was basically a 5-day-a-week thing then.

on the other hand you do get some rockstars who manage to successfully convert all of their internals into a drug processing facility and just go on in a sort of chemical-preserved immortality. people like keith richards are pickled and will live forever.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6774|PNW

uziq wrote:

i think star wars fans are particularly susceptible to existing in some cheesy-kitsch manichean world of goodies and baddies and happy endings.
Don't let the Trade Federation hear about that or it'll get held up in committee for another 12 parsecs.

e: Doesn't Keith Richards snort people? Lichdom confirmed.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
i think the baby boomer generation contributed so much to the expansion of pop culture that there ended up being an abundance of notable people from within that group that became household names. i don't think 2016 is taking out an unusual amount of celebs as much as general attrition took out a few celebs from a bloated group of notables. how many famous 20 something year old stars dropped dead this year?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney

uziq wrote:

i think we can safely presume that us mere non-showbiz mortals do not engage in the same level of excess and sybaritism as rockstars and hollywood actors. i picture boogie nights or something. the coke was much purer and was basically a 5-day-a-week thing then.

on the other hand you do get some rockstars who manage to successfully convert all of their internals into a drug processing facility and just go on in a sort of chemical-preserved immortality. people like keith richards are pickled and will live forever.
Only five days a week? Imagine all the coke and alcohol for decades on end. No wonder their heart packs it in.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England
Who cares?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney

Jay wrote:

Who cares?
You cared enough to post.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I mean that sincerely, why do you people care if Prince or David Bowie or Carrie Fisher died? I mean, sure, it's sad that they died, and if you knew them personally it really sucks, but the "omg x person died" crap is so annoying. Did you actually know the person on a personal level? No? Then fuck off. It's not noteworthy that ten fucking famous people died in 2016. There are thousands of entertainers and a handful dying does not make a crisis.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6774|PNW

Who the fuck is calling it a crisis?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

Jay wrote:

Who cares?
You cared enough to post.
Every time someone famous dies my facebook wall is spammed.

Fuck it.

#DicksOutForHarambe
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney
I'm a massive fan of Mike Patton. If he died I'd be really upset.

Thanks for being dense, it really livens things up around here. I mostly lurk, for the lols.
uziq
+492|3454
does any of our discussion thus far suggest we care about these people?

this sounds like a precious rant that you've been holding back from broadcasting for you to lord over your dumbshit friends on Facebook.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Who the fuck is calling it a crisis?
I've seen multiple people saying 2016 was a horrible year for dead celebrities
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

does any of our discussion thus far suggest we care about these people?

this sounds like a precious rant that you've been holding back from broadcasting for you to lord over your dumbshit friends on Facebook.
This is pretty much true
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard