lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA
Now that MJ is dead and the media will be filled, for the next 2 weeks, everything Michael the question beckons to be asked:

What is it that makes us obsessed with celebrities? Why is appearing on TV or radio instantly make you famous? Hit a ball far, drive really fast, shoot a lot of baskets or start a reality show about your 8 kids and you are the subject of obsession. Cure cancer, or the common cold and no one will give a shit or even remember your name.

What does this say about our priorities as a society. MJ wrote music and sang and danced, and this, according to the fans, has changed their lives or touched them in some spiritual way.  All of this celebrity worship makes me sick and makes those of you who obsess over these people look like fools.

Rescue children from a burning building, no one gives a shit, be in a movie, or sing a song,  and you are a hero. It is time to let these celebrities go and start worrying about ourselves. They are not worth our attention.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6540|San Diego, CA, USA
Its a religion.
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

I guess many see them as successful example of survival. It's for the same reason you have to look at a car wreck; some part of your mind tries to make deductions and reason what happened, so you can learn and survive.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6708
I am sorry the guy died... but the news media (all the news media) is going apeshit over this guy...
What about the poor bastards in Iran that no longer exist on this earth because they questioned an election result...?
Love is the answer
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

jsnipy wrote:

I guess many see them as successful example of survival. It's for the same reason you have to look at a car wreck; some part of your mind tries to make deductions and reason what happened, so you can learn and survive.
People look at car wrecks because it is something out of the ordinary that you do not see everyday.

Following a celebrity's every move and getting involved as if it was your business or even really concerned you when the celebrity you are obsessing over does not know you exist or even really cares is something entirely different.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

I am sorry the guy died... but the news media (all the news media) is going apeshit over this guy...
What about the poor bastards in Iran that no longer exist on this earth because they questioned an election result...?
I am completely indifferent to his death. I did not know him, nor did I care to, so I see know need to hold vigil over him. It does not affect me or change my life whatsoever. How or why would it anyone else who does not know him?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

I mean no disrespect.. but who cares? .. and the bit about no one giving a crap if someone rescues a child? That's not my experience at all.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

lowing wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

People look at car wrecks because it is something out of the ordinary that you do not see everyday.

Following a celebrity's every move and getting involved as if it was your business or even really concerned you when the celebrity you are obsessing over does not know you exist or even really cares is something entirely different.
no, everything maps back to something primal. You see success, you want to emulate it, you see catastrophe you want to avoid it. Don't somehow think that "society", "culture", and "intellect" somehow circumvent or shortcut what we are.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6521|Global Command
I think its just a life lottery and the fixation comes from the fact that most of us live mundane lives and have no amazing talent.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Kmarion wrote:

I mean no disrespect.. but who cares? .. and the bit about no one giving a crap if someone rescues a child? That's not my experience at all.
It is true, maybe a story on page 3? A blip on the local tv channel, ONCE?

Saving a child from a car crash or on an operating table etc. is more of a contribution to society than dancing on stage and grabbing your dick. Yet we will hear about this shit for the next month. Look at Anna Nicole Smith's death and the media obsession over her, that is even a better example of my argument.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
I'm not exactly shedding tears, but as a couple of people have mentioned, it's probably that we see something special that we wish we had ourselves.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

youtube punted the Iran channel from their front page in favor of MJ.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

jsnipy wrote:

lowing wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

no, everything maps back to something primal. You see success, you want to emulate it, you see catastrophe you want to avoid it. Don't somehow think that "society", "culture", and "intellect" somehow circumvent or shortcut what we are.
Then what separates people like me who do not celebrity worship movie stars or sports figures from those that will buy a pair of shoes because Michael Jordan said so or buy the laundry detergent that their favorite driver is sponsored by?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

ATG wrote:

I think its just a life lottery and the fixation comes from the fact that most of us live mundane lives and have no amazing talent.
I think saving lives in a trauma center is an amazing talent
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6708
This is Creepy...
https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b90/catbox777/CREEPY.jpg
Love is the answer
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

lowing wrote:

ATG wrote:

I think being able to suck a golf ball through a hose is a good female talent. We all just have different values systems.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Spark wrote:

I'm not exactly shedding tears, but as a couple of people have mentioned, it's probably that we see something special that we wish we had ourselves.
Still does not explain the obsession and the "He changed my life" bullshit.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

Still does not explain the obsession and the "He changed my life" bullshit.
That probably has more to do with his music, which occasionally has that power (can't say that I've ever felt that myself though, certainly not with MJ's music)

lowing wrote:

ATG wrote:

I guess they wouldn't want the spotlight, they just want to go and do their job quietly - the antithesis of a movie/music/sports star.

Last edited by Spark (2009-06-26 19:26:49)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Reciprocity
+721|6572|the dank(super) side of Oregon
simple people fixate on simple things like celebrities and religion.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Reciprocity wrote:

Although pathetic how extensive the obsession is in the US, this is an explanation I can accept.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

lowing wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Saving a child from a car crash or on an operating table etc. is more of a contribution to society than dancing on stage and grabbing your dick. Yet we will hear about this shit for the next month. Look at Anna Nicole Smith's death and the media obsession over her, that is even a better example of my argument.
Captain sully? .. Anna nicole goes under the train wreck category.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Reciprocity
+721|6572|the dank(super) side of Oregon

lowing wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

Although pathetic how extensive the obsession is in the US, this is an explanation I can accept.
It's just as bad in any other part of the world.  Although it may be worse in developed nations where people have more time not devoted to survival.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Kmarion wrote:

lowing wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Captain sully? .. Anna nicole goes under the train wreck category.
This story was only big because no one died. THAT was the real story. IF the passengers died, this would have been nothing more than another plane crash. Even if Capt. Sully's actions were exactly the same.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Air France was in the news a lot. What about John Smeaton? His actions were extraordinary. The NEWS reports on changing and extraordinary events. Thats what makes it news.

This is very simple.. we watch, read, and listen to things that entertain us. Why do you think this equates to appreciation? Actually, the attention that celebrities get is often the entertaining part. That doesn't mean you don't appreciate the millions of people who improve society everyday. When there is a major medical breakthrough or scientific discovery it does make the front pages.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Kmarion wrote:

Air France was in the news a lot. What about John Smeaton? His actions were extraordinary. The NEWS reports on changing and extraordinary events. Thats what makes it news.

This is very simple.. we watch, read, and listen to things that entertain us. Why do you think this equates to appreciation? Actually, the attention that celebrities get is often the entertaining part. That doesn't mean you don't appreciate the millions of people who improve society everyday. When there is a major medical breakthrough or scientific discovery it does make the front pages.
John Smeaton?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard