• Tech » 
  • Quick question about "Can you run it?" System requirements website
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6408|Somersetshire
CPU Speed
Minimum: 2.4 GHz
You Have: 2.01 GHz Performance Rated at 3.00 GHz

Many-a-times it has come up with this, now I know my CPU is 2.01 GHz and not 3, but why is it apprently as good as a 3GHz, me confused
especially as I'm below for this game, but rated above, so which is my CPU speed, the 2 or 3 GHz?

for your info only
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+

thank you in advance <3
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6597|Seattle

What does it say in the BIOS? Some allow you to bump up the speed of your processor. Factory defaults might be set to low so it doesn't overheat/lasts longer.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6691|Devon, England
Usually down to some form of "Hyper Threading" (Not sure what it is for AMD). At least, that's what I was led to believe.
Brasso
+1,549|6630

first of all, what socket is it?  afaik the athlon 3000+ has S754, S939, AM2, AND mobile versions so that makes things extremely confusing all around.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6736|Salt Lake City

Just specifying a minimum speed of 2.4GHz does no good unless they specify which generation of chip.  If they mean a 2.4GHz P4, then your Athlon likely ranks right around a 3GHz P4, if that is the scale they are using.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6414|Finland

First of, system requirements have been jokes for years now.

Your CPU is 2GHz, not 3GHz.

It is as good as 3GHz Pentium 4 because of the more efficient architechture. Note that the naming doesn't apply anymore when comparing to current Intel offerings.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6408|Somersetshire
@haffy: 939 socket
@Agent: All I can find is this little sentence which states what the minimum is, but says nothing about how they rate it
"Minimum: Pentium 4/Athlon XP or better"

@Downy: My PC tells me I have a 2.01 GHz (it's slightly oc'ed because I was bored and wanted to see if I could do it)
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6736|Salt Lake City

Tehremos wrote:

@haffy: 939 socket
@Agent: All I can find is this little sentence which states what the minimum is, but says nothing about how they rate it
"Minimum: Pentium 4/Athlon XP or better"

@Downy: My PC tells me I have a 2.01 GHz (it's slightly oc'ed because I was bored and wanted to see if I could do it)
Chances are that it is referring to a P4.  Even though the Athlons had lower clock speeds, their IPC made up for lack of clock speed.  Usually the P4 needed 800-1000MHz faster clock speed to even out in performance against the Athlon.  Since it is indicating that your 2GHz chip is rating at 3GHz, my guess is that it is rating your Athlon based on a P4 scale.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Quick question about "Can you run it?" System requirements website

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard