ATG
Banned
+5,233|6528|Global Command
Are just one step seedier and trashier than the average viewer watching their show ( sorry honey ).

Living in gluttony with the wealth that the program has brought into their lives they can now afford to abandon their marriage. I am a married guy, and I know that a lot of women stay in unhappy marriages because it is often better to suck it up and pretend to be happy ( if you can ) than to ruin children with an ugly divorce. They also stay married because they have no source of income outside of marriage.

But in this situation, we have the public spectacle of a corporate sponsored divorce and it makes me sick.

So called reality programs represent the very worst of our societies. There is no creativity. There is just slime.

My wife is drawn like a moth to a flame to trash like Rock Of Love, Intervention and the above mentioned horror show.

It is sad and alarming that these shows are the most popular on television.

I get criticized for reading news on the Internet all day because " it stresses you out and there is nothing you can do to change anything..." while in the background, Jon and Kate vomit their lives onto the screen into my living room.

I feel dirty even typing their names.

/rant
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6536|Long Island, New York
I only first heard of them a few weeks ago.

I guess I should be glad?
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6695|NJ
Not really news worthy could you please remove this off of DBST?
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6735|Salt Lake City

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Why?  I don't think ATG's post is so much about the actual show and what is going on as much as the culture and attitude we have as a country towards these types of reality shows.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

My kids like watching the show for the 8.
ATG
Banned

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Why?  I don't think ATG's post is so much about the actual show and what is going on as much as the culture and attitude we have as a country towards these types of reality shows.
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6630|New Hampshire, USA
The whole situation sucks

Raising 8 kids is bound to put loads of stress on them, but there is no excuse for cheating (in my eyes) and she didn't always have to be such a bitch to him for no reason (yeah i've seen the show, wanna fight about it?).  It's a shame that even the "golden families" on these shows can't even last without divorcing.

At least it's a halfway decent program and not like the shit on the worthless excuses for networks like MTV and VH1
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Does not appeal.

ATG wrote:

There is no creativity.
This.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
13rin
+977|6478

ATG wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

This started years ago in tv.  Remember Springer?  Actually there isn't anything new here.  Their type of behavior (according to Eagle-as I don't really watch tv let alone that shit) has been going on for thousands of years.  Nothing new under the Sun.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6735|Salt Lake City

DBBrinson1 wrote:

ATG wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

This started years ago in tv.  Remember Springer?  Actually there isn't anything new here.  Their type of behavior (according to Eagle-as I don't really watch tv let alone that shit) has been going on for thousands of years.  Nothing new under the Sun.
No one is claiming it didn't, but most of what first appeared was all staged and fake crap designed for shock value, and to garner attention from the trailer trash and welfare crowd.  Now we have many times that number of shows and they have not only gone from the market originally targeted by the likes of Springer, but much of the US as a whole.

Look at your top rated shows.  Many of these reality shows rank high in viewership.  American Idol is one of the most stupid shows I've seen, but every incarnation of that show is #1 or near #1 in it's time slot.  Same thing with Amazing Race, Survivor, The Bachelor/Bachelorette, and other stupid reality shows.  They keep growing in number because people keep watching them.  Tabloid rags stay in business because people keep buying them to find out what celebrity is pregnant, adopting, splitting up, cheating on/or has a new love interest.

Yes, it may have been going on for awhile, but you have to admit that the shear number of people that tune into or buy this crap is growing, seemingly in an exponential manner, and leading this country down the toilet because they are more concerned about reality TV and celebrities than things going on the world that have a real impact on them and this country.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

ATG wrote:

No one is claiming it didn't, but most of what first appeared was all staged and fake crap designed for shock value, and to garner attention from the trailer trash and welfare crowd.  Now we have many times that number of shows and they have not only gone from the market originally targeted by the likes of Springer, but much of the US as a whole.

Look at your top rated shows.  Many of these reality shows rank high in viewership.  American Idol is one of the most stupid shows I've seen, but every incarnation of that show is #1 or near #1 in it's time slot.  Same thing with Amazing Race, Survivor, The Bachelor/Bachelorette, and other stupid reality shows.  They keep growing in number because people keep watching them.  Tabloid rags stay in business because people keep buying them to find out what celebrity is pregnant, adopting, splitting up, cheating on/or has a new love interest.

Yes, it may have been going on for awhile, but you have to admit that the shear number of people that tune into or buy this crap is growing, seemingly in an exponential manner, and leading this country down the toilet because they are more concerned about reality TV and celebrities than things going on the world that have a real impact on them and this country.
I watch TV for the entertainment value.  For goings on in the world, the Internet is a better source.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6379|MN
I think people should pull the plug on their tv for a while and find something to do that doesn't rot their brain and trick them into thinking what they are watching is actually filling some hole intheir lives.

Preachy much?
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6577|Columbus, OH
My GF watches those shows too; she is obessed with Jon and Kate.  I wonder how long the John & Kate news were going to ripple into BF2S threads. I thought this was my last sanctuary away from that crap. Kate's behavior reminds me of my ex-wife.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

LividBovine wrote:

I think people should pull the plug on their tv for a while and find something to do that doesn't rot their brain and trick them into thinking what they are watching is actually filling some hole intheir lives.

Preachy much?
Umm yeah.  What's this crap about tv having to be something that fills some hole in someone's life?  TV has nothing to do with that.  What's wrong with TV just being a venue where a group of people can get together and get some entertainment.

But then again, shows like House are quite entertaining for the brain.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6379|MN

Ilocano wrote:

LividBovine wrote:

Preachy much?
Umm yeah.  What's this crap about tv having to be something that fills some hole in someone's life?  TV has nothing to do with that.  What's wrong with TV just being a venue where a group of people can get together and get some entertainment.

But then again, shows like House are quite entertaining for the brain.
I know not all tv is bad, just as a general rule their ar far too many people filling their lives with drivel.  If someone has to wind down at the end of the day, enjoy some time with family and friends, or whatever it is one avenue I geuss.  I just prefer to do something more, I don't know, active.  Take the kids fishing, skiing, walking, talking, playing games.  Can anyone honestly say any tv is better than any of those things.  Well maybe the walking thing.  Oh yeah, the Wii is acceptable because I have one and that makes it ok.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

I admit I watch and enjoy Intervention and Obsessed One of my roommates got me hooked. Other than that, reality tv is the bane of human existence.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Oh and I also like The Amazing Race and Hell's Kitchen and Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares... but those are the only reality tv shows I watch, I promise!
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6444|The Land of Scott Walker

ATG wrote:

... in this situation, we have the public spectacle of a corporate sponsored divorce and it makes me sick.
Makes me sick, too.  Poor kids.  Too bad their parents can't suck it up and learn to get along like adults.  Oh but that might require work. *gasp*  But I'm entitled to happiness, even if it puts a torpedo into the family ship the 8 kids are riding on!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina
TV is mostly lame -- except for The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, South Park, House, a few Cartoon Network shows, The History Channel, The Discovery Channel, PBS, and C-Span (every once in a while).
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6467

Turquoise wrote:

TV is mostly lame -- except for The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, South Park, House, a few Cartoon Network shows, The History Channel, The Discovery Channel, PBS, and C-Span (every once in a while).
House sucks and Metalacolypse is the only thing decent on Cartoon Network.

But besides that yeah that's basically American Television.
rdx-fx
+955|6590
Got my own life, don't need to watch theirs, thanks

New house here.
We have internet access, DVD player hooked up to the TV, 3 computers, and no cable TV.
Everything I would want to watch on TV, I can get through the itunes store, DVD rental store, Hulu, or elsewhere on the internet.

Cable news is 1% content, 99% spin & saturate.
Cable networks are "1000 channels and nothing on"

Now, If you'll excuse me, I've a 100 rounds of 7mm Mag to reload, 500 more rounds of 5.56x45 in the tumbler to check, a couple of news sources to check regarding the current mess in Iran, a little daughter to go play with, EMT & 68W textbooks to read (for fun) and a couple other projects to tend to.

If my life does not include a weekly update on someone else's sordid life (Jon & Kate...), I guess I'll just have to live with that.

Enough going on in my life, that I don't feel the need to be an audience member watching someone else's life.

Last edited by rdx-fx (2009-06-23 16:26:31)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

House sucks and Metalacolypse is the only thing decent on Cartoon Network.

But besides that yeah that's basically American Television.
House sucks?!  Blasphemer!!!

https://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd122/hi54allll/imagenes/cine-y-television/gregory_house.jpg

"Let's try a magic trick...  I'm gonna make this thermometer...  disappear." 
ATG
Banned

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Would you prefer another thread about this?
jsnipy
+3,276|6521|...

cpt.fass1 wrote:

It's called "Debate" and "Serious Talk" not "News". Every topic does need to be about Israel and Muslims.

OT: That show went down hill, became unrealistic when they TLC bought that big house. My wife watches it

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-06-24 00:46:34)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard