lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA
Or was it a war between 2 separate nations?

there were

different govts.

different economies

distict military's

trade with other nations.

Sounds like a war between 2 nations more than a civil war. Whatcha think?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Well a civil war is literally a conflict between two warring factions fighting over the same nation/area for control of government or geographic area, so those other attributes you've listed, while correct, really are of little relevance to the Civil War being called a civil war.

Now, if you'd like to discuss the commonly accepted definition for the idea holder-word that is "civil war", well that's a horse of a different color.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6448|Chicago, IL
see previous statements in other thread

edit:  I'll just carry it over for the sake of ontopicness

lowing wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

lowing wrote:

There was no such thing as the American civil war. (technically)

A civil war is a fight between 2 factions of the same country. The South seceded, so they were officially their own country. It then became a war between 2 nations and 2 different govts. Am I right or wrong?
they failed in their secession, and were never recognized by the global community as a sovereign nation, therefore, it is a civil war, they were independent only in their own minds.
Is global recognition a must when you start a country? If so, all of this shit about the "nation of Palestine" seems to be out the window.

The south traded with other countries, formed their own govt. flew their own flag, had their own money, their own culture, their own military, their own borders. Sounds like a country to me.

there, I started a new thread, you can have this one back
I could sell a book on E-bay, draw up a flag, and shoot a gun out my window, does that make me a nation?

Last edited by S.Lythberg (2009-06-15 23:21:32)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

It was a civil war.

Eleven Southern slave states declared their secession from the U.S. and formed the Confederate States of America (the Confederacy). Led by Jefferson Davis, they fought against the U.S. federal government (the Union), which was supported by all the free states and the five border slave states in the north.

That's why it is also known as the War Between the States.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

AussieReaper wrote:

Yeah maybe in Australia!
Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon
The winner writes the history.  the union won so the war was/is defined as a conflict to restore the union.   in the south the conflict was/is often referred to as the war of northern aggression.  different perspectives, one winner.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

Weren't there a few states the changed sides, also? (or back and forth. You'd know better than me )
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

AussieReaper wrote:

Weren't there a few states the changed sides, also? (or back and forth. You'd know better than me )
Yes, we now refer to them as the "John Kerry" states.  Damn flip floppers!
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6455|The Twilight Zone
I'm interested to hear more about this
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
VspyVspy
Sniper
+183|6674|A sunburnt country
I don't think any war is really civil, but I know what you are getting at........
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

They seceded from the union. They left the common document that binded them, the constitution. States were very independent back then. States rights have been stripped down to almost nothing now. So I understand your confusion.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6666|NT, like Mick Dundee

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Yes, we now refer to them as the "John Kerry" states.  Damn flip floppers!
lol'd
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
BVC
+325|6697
If the southern states seceded, then I would say it was a civil war.  If they were a seperate nation from the get-go, then I would say it is not a civil war.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Pubic wrote:

If the southern states seceded, then I would say it was a civil war.  If they were a seperate nation from the get-go, then I would say it is not a civil war.
They were always separate states with individual constitutions. The United States was so diverse that in order to succeed our founders had ensure the sovereignty of each state. They were united for things like the "common defense".. but it was never intended to go much further than that.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6520|Πάϊ
A civil war is called an 'εμφύλιος' in Greek - meaning 'within the same race'. I hope that clarifies things.
ƒ³
JahManRed
wank
+646|6629|IRELAND

Whats this got to do with Muslims?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

AussieReaper wrote:

It was a civil war.

Eleven Southern slave states declared their secession from the U.S. and formed the Confederate States of America (the Confederacy). Led by Jefferson Davis, they fought against the U.S. federal government (the Union), which was supported by all the free states and the five border slave states in the north.

Ok it was a war between the states, but don't ya think it was more like a war for independence?  Like I said they not fighting for control over the same the govt. They were figting for indenpendance from the established govt.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

lowing wrote:

Ok it was a war between the states, but don't ya think it was more like a war for independence?  Like I said they not fighting for control over the same the govt. They were figting for indenpendance from the established govt.
They were not fighting for independence because they were not dependent to begin with.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Pubic wrote:

Then why is the American revolution not also considered a civil war?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

oug wrote:

A civil war is called an 'εμφύλιος' in Greek - meaning 'within the same race'. I hope that clarifies things.
Well if that were the case, WW1 WW2 and just about every other war is a civil war. Being from a different country does not make you a different race.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

They were not fighting for independence because they were not dependent to begin with.
Oh but they were, there was an established federal govt. and they were dependent on trade from the industrial north.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

lowing wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

Oh but they were, there was an established federal govt. and they were dependent on trade from the industrial north.
No, the established federal govt. was not that well established. It was so un-established in fact that the South declared secession before Lincoln was able to take office after winning the Presidential Election. And his government didn't not consider it secession, but rebellion. Along with, as S.Lythberg  said, "they were never recognized by the global community as a sovereign nation",

And to say they were now dependent on trade from the north goes against what you stated in the OP:

lowing wrote:

there were

different govts.

different economies

distict military's

Different governments and economies with trade from other nations... So which is it, lowing, dependent or not? Make up your mind.

And as the government was not that well established by the US to begin with, even the Southern States government you would be hard pressed to consider legitimate since as soon as they formed they were neither recognised nor operated as such.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

No, the established federal govt. was not that well established. It was so un-established in fact that the South declared secession before Lincoln was able to take office after winning the Presidential Election. And his government didn't not consider it secession, but rebellion. Along with, as S.Lythberg  said, "they were never recognized by the global community as a sovereign nation",

And to say they were now dependent on trade from the north goes against what you stated in the OP:

lowing wrote:

there were

different govts.

different economies

distict military's

Different governments and economies with trade from other nations... So which is it, lowing, dependent or not? Make up your mind.

And as the government was not that well established by the US to begin with, even the Southern States government you would be hard pressed to consider legitimate since as soon as they formed they were neither recognised nor operated as such.
Dependant BEFORE secession, independant and trade with other nations AFTERwards.

the federal govt. was not established? By the time the civil war broke out the federal govt. was on its 16th ELECTED president. Sounds established to me.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

lowing wrote:

Dependant BEFORE secession, independant and trade with other nations AFTERwards.

the federal govt. was not established? By the time the civil war broke out the federal govt. was on its 16th ELECTED president. Sounds established to me.
They were not established in the concept of ending slavery, which was one of the main factors leading to the South's withdrawal from the Union. Have a look at the motives behind the Southern secession. They were against the ending of slavery that the previous government was pressing, and that concept was to be further pressed and eventuate under Lincoln.

Oh and thanks for clearing up that they were dependant before secession. Because your OP suggested it was more of a war between nations since they were so independent. I guess you've proven yourself wrong on that fairly well. The states were dependent, and thus it was a civil war. Not a war between nations.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

They were not established in the concept of ending slavery, which was one of the main factors leading to the South's withdrawal from the Union. Have a look at the motives behind the Southern secession. They were against the ending of slavery that the previous government was pressing, and that concept was to be further pressed and eventuate under Lincoln.

Oh and thanks for clearing up that they were dependant before secession. Because your OP suggested it was more of a war between nations since they were so independent. I guess you've proven yourself wrong on that fairly well. The states were dependent, and thus it was a civil war. Not a war between nations.
It was one nation BEFORE the war. As soon as the south seceded, it then became 2 nations. The war was also not about slavery, it was about states rights over a stronger federal govt. I made the comparison between the secession of the south and the colonies break form England. Was this also a civil war based on your criteria?

Also I am not sure why you are being so condensending so how about lightening up a bit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard