r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6444

Man this is so annoying. Because I am having difficulties joining games. I asked the admin to forward some ports for Xbox Live and Playstation Network and he replied that he can't do it because apparently our line is business line.

“1.Our Sonicwall does not support the UPNP protocols (it is a business class NAT firewall).

2. We have a block of 6 IP addresses unfortunately all are using both port 80 (HTTP) and 443 (ssl) for web hosted services. (email/VPN etc)"

Are there any other alternatives? I don’t feel like contacting him again withoutout knowing what he's on about.

Last edited by r'Eeee (2009-06-15 09:28:35)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6735|Toronto | Canada

So your xbox is at work?
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6593|Seattle

80 and 8080 are HTTP inbound and outbound. They have nothing to do with gaming ports. Did you specifically request to use those ports or something?

You'd have to figure out which ports your game uses and request that those ports be opened. There's no need to mess with port 80 or 8080.

Also, he's speaking of static IP addresses. The only reason you would need one of these is if you're hosting a ventrillo server or some other server which it doesn't sound like you are.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6444

Well, I only requested the Playstation Network ports, I got the ports from the PS3 forums

Playstation Network Required Ports

TCP 80
TCP 443
TCP 5223
UDP 3478
UDP 3479
UDP 3658
And for the xbox, from Microsoft official website.

If your device is not on the compatible list, and if you experience the symptoms that are described in the "Introduction" section, you can try to open the following ports:

* TCP 80
    * UDP 88
    * UDP 3074
    * TCP 3074
    * UDP 53
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874
Brasso
+1,549|6626

r'Eeee wrote:

Well, I only requested the Playstation Network ports, I got the ports from the PS3 forums

Playstation Network Required Ports

TCP 80
TCP 443
TCP 5223
UDP 3478
UDP 3479
UDP 3658
And for the xbox, from Microsoft official website.

If your device is not on the compatible list, and if you experience the symptoms that are described in the "Introduction" section, you can try to open the following ports:

* TCP 80
    * UDP 88
    * UDP 3074
    * TCP 3074
    * UDP 53
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874
3074 is really the only one you need on the xbox.  that shouldn't be a problem to open.  i don't know about the ps3.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Defiance
+438|6667

UPNP protocol is a silly thing on home firewalls so you won't see as many "how do i portforward?" spews. In this context, a piece of software can signal a router to open ports for it. However, it's a very silly system so you end up with MSN messenger on dedicated ports. Which is unnecessary. I wouldn't be surprised if a 360 or PS3 uses it, it would be good for them, but they have nothing to do with what you're asking of him.

Secondly, your companies allocated block has nothing to do with this; unless you want to run 6 consoles at the same time. If not, it's just NAT configuration.

What he said first may make the most sense. If it's a 'business line' then the ISP may block ports in a different manner then a consumer line, but I would think they'd be less restrictive if anything. I can't explain why he's being a hard arse about it but his provided excuses are bunk. Unless it's against the security policy, or he's using his own console, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to do this.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard