Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas
I have some grad money now, and was considering getting another console. I moved my PC to my apartment (30min - 1hr drive from house, depending on time of day), so when I'm home (fairly often) I'd like to have something to kill time.

Right now I have a wii, but bringing that back and forth seems to be somewhat of a pain. It's decent for multiple people, but I'd be playing by myself most of the time.

I tried to run TF2 on my laptop, and the performance was awful. I thought I had at least a decent build for a laptop:

- Intel Duo T9550, 2.67 GHz
- 6 gig RAM (I know)
- ATI Radeon HD 3670
- Vista SP1

I have no idea on the graphics card, but it was the best one I could get on my XPS. I can't even run all settings on low, I get like 5 FPS. That doesn't seem right, but again I have no idea about the gfx card.

Anyway. I was thinking about getting a used PS3 or 360, but don't know much about either. I enjoy lots of kinds of games, especially those with good replayability. Games with lots of "unlockables" etc are good because they soak up some good time and keep me interested.

Cheap(er) would be good, I don't plan on spending $400 on a 80gig PS3 out of the box.

Comments, suggestions?
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6709|Toronto | Canada

I have a 3650 on my laptop and pretty much all worse specs and I can play most games on medium at least so clearly you're doing something wrong.  Maybe new drivers?

But I like my 360, it has some pretty solid games for it.

Cue fan wars
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas

Winston_Churchill wrote:

I have a 3650 on my laptop and pretty much all worse specs and I can play most games on medium at least so clearly you're doing something wrong.  Maybe new drivers?

But I like my 360, it has some pretty solid games for it.

Cue fan wars
This is what I thought. I'll check out drivers I suppose.
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6372|dm_maidenhead
That laptop should be fine with TF2. Have you updated all your drivers?
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6500|Boston, MA
Why not buy a PS2? It's a lot cheaper and there are so many games available for it.

Or you can just go with older PC games on your laptop. If you want to play TF2, have you ever given Team Fortress Classic a try? It's only $5 and I've been playing it for probably 6-7 years now. I find it to be a lot more entertaining than TF2 and you'll notice how much they changed from classic to 2. Then there's also a ton of other older PC games. Does it have to be brand new games if you're mainly just trying to kill some time?
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas

Peter wrote:

That laptop should be fine with TF2. Have you updated all your drivers?
That worked! <3 Winston/peter.

@ Frankie: The money isn't so much of an issue. I'm basically wondering if there's anything I'm missing out that's 360/PS3 exclusive. I played FIFA 09 on the 360, and even though I hate soccer, it was a lot of fun. I don't think I could enjoy playing it on the wii nearly as much. The graphics wouldn't be near as good and sports games on the wii feel, I don't know, cheesy (save tiger woods golf, it makes sense there). I have madden 09 for the wii and it's cool and all, but the controls are a bit wonky and not very responsive.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas
Or maybe it didn't.

I'm running on all low/medium and getting maybe 5 FPS in battle situations, still. Spawn room or whatever is closer to 20-30, but its pretty much unplayable.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Running any significant background processes?  Take out everything not totally necessary and try it
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Running any significant background processes?  Take out everything not totally necessary and try it
Yeah, it was a clean boot with everything off except steam.
SamBo:D
Banned
+236|5467|England
If you want a console id go with the ps3 pal

Built in wireless
can play blu rays
playing on online/downloading demos etc is free no monthly or yearly charge
no RROD
killzone 2
mgs 4
dont have to buy charger/batteries or whatever for the controls
setting up PSN is a piece of piss
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6712|FUCK UBISOFT

Consoles aren't worth it and you should be able to play games on that easily. What resolution do you run at?
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas

Miggle wrote:

Consoles aren't worth it and you should be able to play games on that easily. What resolution do you run at?
I tried the 1920x1080 at first. It all runs decent on an empty map, but once in an actual game it's crap. I moved it down to 13xx by 8xx (whatever that res is), settings on all low except textures on medium iirc. Ugly as sin and runs like molasses if anyone decides to shoot at me.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

GO for 1440x900, 1920x1080 is wayyy too high.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas

SamBo:D wrote:

Built in wireless
can play blu rays
no RROD
killzone 2
mgs 4
Bad idea to buy one used? Saw them @ ~$200 on Amazon, not concerned with their outward appearance or anything. They also run PS2 games don't they? I used to love playing one of those snowboarding games on the original PS (wasn't mine). Does it run PS1 discs as well? I could get some real decent bargain games if I could.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas

Winston_Churchill wrote:

I tried the 1360x768 at all low and still nothing. I could get away with playing demoman, but it was still 10 FPS maybe at best, and that's only because I could play 30 feet from the action without a scope or anything.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

AFAIK only a certain type of them play PS2 games and even then not all games.  Not 100% though

Bevo wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

I tried the 1360x768 at all low and still nothing. I could get away with playing demoman, but it was still 10 FPS maybe at best, and that's only because I could play 30 feet from the action without a scope or anything.
Theres seriously something wrong then, maybe try an older driver?  Do you have the right one?

Last edited by Winston_Churchill (2009-06-15 12:22:44)

Banned
+236|5467|England

Bevo wrote:

Built in wireless
can play blu rays
no RROD
killzone 2
mgs 4
Bad idea to buy one used? Saw them @ ~$200 on Amazon, not concerned with their outward appearance or anything. They also run PS2 games don't they? I used to love playing one of those snowboarding games on the original PS (wasn't mine). Does it run PS1 discs as well? I could get some real decent bargain games if I could.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Models

Check the table out mate, it tells you which versions can play PS2 games

I'm not sure about ps1 though I'll see if I can find out

Actually I think all versions of the PS3 will play PS1 games

Last edited by SamBo:D (2009-06-15 12:30:08)

Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas

Winston_Churchill wrote:

AFAIK only a certain type of them play PS2 games and even then not all games.  Not 100% though

Bevo wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Theres seriously something wrong then, maybe try an older driver?  Do you have the right one?
Yeah, I'm positive I have the right one. 3600 HD series, update 1.2 iirc. Vista 64 bit. Installed just fine.

The thing I'm baffled about is EVE seems to run fine (not as well as I thought it would...), but it makes my laptop heat up like no other. When running TF2, it doesn't get hot at all, like the processors aren't even working.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Models

Check the table out mate, it tells you which versions can play PS2 games

I'm not sure about ps1 though I'll see if I can find out
Hummm, from the wiki:

All models include: Blu-ray/DVD/CD drive, HDMI 1.3a,[53] Bluetooth 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), PlayStation One backward compatibility through software emulation,[54][55] and a glossy finish[56]
Kind of odd that the only ones under production aren't PS2 backwards compatible.
Banned
+236|5467|England
Ye there not in production but some places like amazon will still sell them new
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin
I have both consoles as well as the Wii. The xbox 360 and the ps3 have their upsides and downsides, overall I like the 360 the best as it has better servers, more on the socializing side than the ps3, and the halo games are quite fun. Now, the PS3 does have Bluray which is nice plus you play video games in HD, built-in wireless(you have to pay $80-100 for a wireless adapter with the xbox), free internet, and even a web browser to boot. There is more info, but I just stated what I liked about the 2 consoles. Oh and yes the ps3 plays most ps2 games, just need to download stuff on PS store to be able to play some of those according to wikipedia. I think the 40 GB is backwards compatible with the ps2 games as for some reason it was the same price as the 80gb last I checked.

Last edited by War Man (2009-06-16 09:21:02)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Banned
+236|5467|England
Whats Reach for the win warman? I've not heard of that game
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin

I've told you sambo, do you have short term memory problems?
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Banned
+236|5467|England

War Man wrote:

I've told you sambo, do you have short term memory problems?
Can't remember
Kez
+778|5673|London, UK
Halo: Reach I guess he means. Obviously isn't excited about it too much if he doesn't even say the full name

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard