+3,611|6619|London, England
14th June - 28th June 2009

https://www.fifa.com/img/head/confcuplogo.gif

Teams

https://www.fifa.com/imgml/tournament/ccSouthAfrica2009/teams.jpg

---

Groups/Standings

---

Oh yeah, for those who don't really know what the Confederations cup is. Think of it as a Champions League style tournament for the world with the winners of all the major international tournaments playing each other (including World Cup winners and Host country).

Here's a good article explaining it all

---

Anyway it starts on Sunday 14th June with South Africa (hosts) vs Iraq (2007 Asian cup winners), with the likes of Brazil, Italy and Spain in the tournament it should be a good one.

I'm tipping Spain to win it as their team is just on fire at the moment and everything about Spain and football is all just working at its best, but you never know, no easy games in International football (except against Andorra)

People haven't really ever paid much attention to this tournament but I think FIFA are starting to gear this tournament up as quite a major tournament in World Football, although I guess it was already quite big for the proper footie fans, just that I doubt we'd see England in this tournament for quite awhile as there isn't much of a chance of England winning either the World cup or the UEFA European cup in some time at least, I guess we'll just have to wait for England to host the tournament eh...

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-06-12 16:42:19)

SamBo:D
Banned
+236|5495|England
Brazil to beat Spain in the final 3-2
Mekstizzle
WALKER
I dunno Brazil don't seem like the team they used to be, I can't see anyone doing one over Spain. Maybe Italy are disciplined enough to take them on properly
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6461|Tyne & Wear, England
Italy are a bunch of coffin dodgers now.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
GCFC
Davide Santon
+45|5927|NY/CT
italy is gonna win
Kez
+778|5701|London, UK
I hope New Zealand destroy Spain 5-0 and Spain get knocked out in the group stages
Mekstizzle
WALKER

Kptk92 wrote:

I hope New Zealand destroy Spain 5-0 and Spain get knocked out in the group stages
Looks like Kez has a knack for predicting the complete reverse for fixtures

Anyway if any of yous are watching the USA vs Italy game, the US just went up 1-0 despite the fact that one of their guys has been sent off

World Champions vs Yanks with one man less and they're losing, who'd have thought
Kez
+778|5701|London, UK
Torres is a dick
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6630|Finland

Who would have? I jumped in in the middle of the first to see the red card and the penalty. The US defense is pretty headstrong. Get it? Headstrong?
Spoiler (highlight to read):
They're big guys whol play with their heads a lot
I suck at puns.

Now for the next half after a smoke.
I need around tree fiddy.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

Yes I caught the goal and sendoff.  What's it at now?  Can't watch at work anymore...
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6754|Scotland

Kptk92 wrote:

Torres is a dick
lel.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Well Italy just equalised. Guess who scored? Guiseppi Rossi, yeah that's right, the guy with one Italian and one American parent and who's spent the majority of his life in New Joizy only to then choose to play for the Italian national team instead of the American one, lelz
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6452|The Twilight Zone

SamBo:D wrote:

Brazil to beat Spain in the final 3-2
I'll drink to that
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Kez
+778|5701|London, UK
Spain to lose next game 3-0
Banned
+236|5495|England
3-1 eh
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Italy should've gone down to 10 men also, when that dude gave away that penalty to the yanks. I think he was the last man and he did impede a goal scoring chance, that's one bit to complain about in terms of dodgy ref decisions
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6707|England. Stoke
Anyone see the Brazil v Egypt game
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Did anyone check out the ending of the Brazil-Italy group? Basically, because Italy had lost 1-0 to Egypt (lol), they had to beat Brazil to ensure qualifying.

Anyway long story short, the US needed a 6 goal swing to qualify, practically impossible as it needed Italy to lose by 3 goals and them to win by 3.

Well...

Egypt 0 - 3 USA
Italy 0 - 3 Brazil

You crazy yanks!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal … 109905.stm

Also move to sports pl0x
Banned
+236|5495|England
ace

brazil to win still
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Spain are being beaten by the USA 1-0, haha. They really are the Jammy team of the tournament aren't they, those dum yanks.

Seriously though I've never been a more patriotic American in my life, I really do hope they beat Spain. Almost half time right now. Also move this thread to sports (asking for the second time, this is unacceptable!)
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

half time of the emirates cup
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Emriates cup?

Anyway is anyone else getting pissed off at the constant horning? I actually can't stand watching the football matches. For fuck sake it's constant blowing, and it sounds like shit.

It's already caused a bit of a stir;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela

I don't give a fuck if it's part of African culture. African culture is complete fucking fail. Why else is the continent as it is. I can't beleive they're doing it in South Africa anyway, that place is so fucked up.... won't see me going there that's for sure. I should've gone to Germany when it was there, a proper country at least...
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

that horn is really really really pissing me off.

yes emirates.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6452|The Twilight Zone
emirates are sponsoring the tournament and now its called after it? insane

Last edited by .Sup (2009-06-24 12:28:22)

https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

.Sup wrote:

emirates are sponsoring the tournament and now its called after them? insane
no i just think they will own it eventually.  they are pretty much trying to take over horse racing.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard