Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Congress struck the government's strongest anti-smoking blow in decades Thursday with a Senate vote to give regulators new power to limit nicotine in cigarettes, drastically curtail ads and ban candied tobacco products aimed at young people.

Cigarettes under this bill could not be made illegal but the FDA can control their ingredients, including nicotine, severely limit marketing aimed at teenagers, ban all flavored cigarettes and make the warning labels on cigarette packs much larger, reports CBS News correspondent Bob Fuss.

But the industry has also taken hits in recent years as the dangers of smoking became more apparent and states moved to limit smoking in public places. In 1998 the industry agreed to pay the states $206 billion to help cover health care costs, and this year Congress raised the federal cigarette tax by 62 cents, to $1.01 a pack, to fund a health care program for children.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/06/ … 1454.shtml
https://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh207/m8v2/panic-1.png
They're going to raise taxes and mess with my cigarettes!
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD
I think cigarettes are evil, but people are plenty educated on the dangers of them. If someone wants to kill his lungs so be it.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6707
Oh wise govt... please tell us what to eat drink and think... How did we get by before you were here to guide us...?
People are pissed and it will be shown in 2010... 

and please add taxes to everything to keep us safe...
Love is the answer
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6612|London, England
Shit like this is to cut down on people (mainly kids/teens) taking up the smoking rather than to just persecute the poor nicotine addicts as you all seem to think of it as. I mean I don't really have a problem with governments discouraging people from taking up the habit, sure people are free to do what they want but that doesn't mean that certain shit like smoking shouldn't at least be discouraged and prevented.

Smokers often say that they want the Government to stop making life hard for them well it's not for them you people are already a lost cause it's to prevent others from making the same shitty mistakes you made
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

These candied tobacco products and cigarettes marketed to kids are just plain fucking wrong. Any limit on them is fine by me. As for normal cigarettes, well if someone wants to smoke that's their choice. As long as it doesn't impact on me that's fine and seeing as most people smoke outside where their second hand smoke is easy enough to avoid I think any state intervention like this is a bit much.

Of couse if you consider that smokers are a major drain on national health systems world wide I can see how the government thinks they have that right.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD
I do agree with putting those nasty images on cigarette cartons. But besides that, doesn't the government have better things to do? People need to take some personal responsibility. I don't need tons of tax money going towards telling people what they already know.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6396|North Carolina
Limiting nicotine content is good.  Other than that...  this is quite intrusive.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6707
I don't smoke and i think it is a horrible habit...
but the govt is not doing this stuff to benefit anyone...just to fill their coffers...
This is just a slippery slope to tell us what we are alowed to do or not do...
and this is another way to tax something... they are very creative and if they could charge for the air you breath... they would try and do it.

Cradle to the Grave... learned helplessness is for your own good.
Love is the answer
SealXo
+309|6527
raising tax on something that kills to pay for a health program... lol?

wait does this mean no more menthols???? ):
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

SealXo wrote:

raising tax on something that kills to pay for a health program... lol?

wait does this mean no more menthols???? ):
Maybe, they'll probably go after Dutches, White owls and alike first since well you know what people use those flavored cigars for.
13rin
+977|6470
My state just raised the tax a dollar independently of this.  Oh well.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6529|Long Island, New York
No more candy tobacco? Fuck.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6460
So it's bad that the government are regulating dangerous chemicals now?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

It'd be chaos if millions of smokers can't get their fix easily. I, for one, would write an angry letter to my local senator.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6460

Macbeth wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

It'd be chaos if millions of smokers can't get their fix easily. I, for one, would write an angry letter to my local senator.
pro tip: Don't smoke.
topthrill05
+125|6569|Rochester NY USA
I swear if grape Dutches go away.......
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I don't need tons of tax money going towards telling people what they already know.
Your government is more concerned about the money it will save in health care costs because the hospitals won't be filled with lung cancer patients.

It's not rocket science.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6105|SC | USA |
Suxb Tobacco users

They're morons anyway.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5986|Truthistan
Cigarettes stink

Go $hit your pants instead.... you'll smell better
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6491|so randum

Macbeth wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Is there a public smoking ban over there?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6673|Disaster Free Zone
All good, should have been done decades ago.

Next step, total Ban.. wont that be a day to celebrate.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2009-06-12 01:32:50)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6140|'straya
Loving the new laws about not being allowed to smoke inside pubs or restaurants or any public place.

On topic: Doesn't sound bad to me, cigarettes shouldn't be marketed to young people, then again, alot of young people will still do it because its "different" and "rebellious"
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

wow...everyone is wrong so far.

the govt gets huge amounts of money from tobacco, and uses that money to fund anti tobacco programs and such.  they dont want you to quit smoking, they want you to think they care about you.  you really think the govt wants to hurt tobacco and the health care world?  lol.  i got a bridge for you if you believe that.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6656|NT, like Mick Dundee

Marine is right. The government doesn't want to ban tobacco. Or alcohol.

Just wait until society gets liberal enough for them to legalise the designer drugs, BOOM tax revenues through the roof thanks to the sale-tax on eccy tabs and coke.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

not only that, but demonizing more and more it makes the kiddies want to fight the power even more.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard