WienerBreath
Hai guys
+14|5472|Fort Hood, Texas
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/un_un_swine_flu

GENEVA – The World Health Organization declared a swine flu pandemic Thursday — the first global flu epidemic in 41 years — as infections in the United States, Europe, Australia, South America and elsewhere climbed to nearly 30,000 cases.

The long-awaited pandemic announcement is scientific confirmation that a new flu virus has emerged and is quickly circling the globe. WHO will now ask drugmakers to speed up production of a swine flu vaccine. The declaration will also prompt governments to devote more money toward efforts to contain the virus.

WHO chief Dr. Margaret Chan made the announcement Thursday after the U.N. agency held an emergency meeting with flu experts. Chan said she was moving the world to phase 6 — the agency's highest alert level — which means a pandemic, or global epidemic, is under way.

"The world is moving into the early days of its first influenza pandemic in the 21st century," Chan told reporters. "The (swine flu) virus is now unstoppable."

On Thursday, WHO said 74 countries had reported 28,774 cases of swine flu, including 144 deaths. Chan described the virus as "moderate." According to WHO's pandemic criteria, a global outbreak has begun when a new flu virus begins spreading in two world regions.

The agency has stressed that most cases are mild and require no treatment, but the fear is that a rash of new infections could overwhelm hospitals and health authorities — especially in poorer countries.

Still, about half of the people who have died from swine flu were previously young and healthy — people who are not usually susceptible to flu. Swine flu is also crowding out regular flu viruses. Both features are typical of pandemic flu viruses.

The last pandemic — the Hong Kong flu of 1968 — killed about 1 million people. Ordinary flu kills about 250,000 to 500,000 people each year.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

Ooh, hooray, Swine Flu is given a new title. Who cares to be honest. The media have blown this out of proportion too much for me to take it seriously now. Personally I'm ready for the next global pandemic. Bring on Canine Flu 2010.

Seriously though I'm pleased with the health sector's reaction to the virus but I'm not impressed with the media hype that's followed it.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Swan
The town bike
+54|5418
I doubt in 1968 the level of communication and electronic intelligence was nearly as a sophisticated. This would probably make those numbers unlikely.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6592|London, England
Another meaningless word/entity for the media to jump around with
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5567|Vacationland
I think it's time to bring this guy back...
https://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff357/narupug/panic.gif
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6781|Nårvei

That it's now called a pandemic and are at level 6 doesn't mean it's more dangerous than before, it has to do with how much it has spread globally ... so far the swineflu is less dangerous than the "normal" flu ...

If I'm not mistaken the swineflu have infected 27000 people, 104 are dead and it has spread to 74 countries ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

Varegg wrote:

That it's now called a pandemic and are at level 6 doesn't mean it's more dangerous than before, it has to do with how much it has spread globally ... so far the swineflu is less dangerous than the "normal" flu ...

If I'm not mistaken the swineflu have infected 27000 people, 104 are dead and it has spread to 74 countries ...
And most of them have shit healthcare in the first place. Lol SOMEONE DIED OF GETTIGN SICK IN MEXICO QUICK ITS A PANDEMIC.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

WHO was getting upset because their name had dropped off the map.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

So, what about regular flu or common colds that affect loads more people a year than Swine Flu? Zomg Pandemic!
Varegg
+2,206|6781|Nårvei

And if WHO ignored the swineflu and it turned out to be global killer ... then what?

The flu as it is now is pretty good monitored meaning less people get it, less people get sick, less people are away from work ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

Varegg wrote:

And if WHO ignored the swineflu and it turned out to be global killer ... then what?

The flu as it is now is pretty good monitored meaning less people get it, less people get sick, less people are away from work ...
No they exaggerate numbers just to justify massive government spending on useless vaccines *cough bird flu*
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

Cybargs wrote:

Varegg wrote:

No they exaggerate numbers just to justify massive government spending on useless vaccines *cough bird flu*
Whatever really happened to brid flu? On the news here it was like, 'zomg imminent pandemic, loads of deaths!' Then nothing happened and the media went very quiet.
Varegg
+2,206|6781|Nårvei

The media is the big scarecrow tbh ... WHO just does what it is supposed to be doing ... WHO doesn't profit from vaccines ...
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5567|Vacationland

M.O.A.B wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Whatever really happened to brid flu? On the news here it was like, 'zomg imminent pandemic, loads of deaths!' Then nothing happened and the media went very quiet.
Yet, honestly if it mutates then we could find out tomorrow it's in 20 different european countries after some guy caught the mutated strain and hoped on a plane. 
Also need I mention that part of H1N1 IS the Bird Flu
We need to do this research in case it does come around one day.
You'll thank us when that happens, or you'll be like this...
It's gonna kill us all, quick put on your masks and seal up your home!
https://maxdunbar.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/panic.jpg
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6417|Amsterdam‫
134 infected here
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York
had it, got over it, probably passed it onto someone else

it's not even as bad as the normal flu ffs.
Kez
+778|5674|London, UK
You bastard Poseidon

Well there's swine flu in one of our local schools, so I might just head over there one day and catch it
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6336|California
Yeah this is pretty serious, I've been told that since our group of about 40-50 kids are going to China, if our temperature is 1 degree higher then the norm, we get quarantined in China, they do not want that shit in their country haha.
but anyways I leave in 6 hours to LA and then depart in 3 hours!

Last edited by =NHB=Shadow (2009-07-02 09:23:53)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

Poseidon wrote:

had it, got over it, probably passed it onto someone else

it's not even as bad as the normal flu ffs.
Are you vulnerable to UV now?
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6519|San Diego, CA, USA
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6500|Global Command

Harmor wrote:

Looks like its mutating:

Tamiflu-Resistant Swine Flu Virus Found in Hong Kong
Of course; they didn't get enough fear and funding over the initial outbreak.

https://maxdunbar.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/panic.jpg
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum

ATG wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Looks like its mutating:

Tamiflu-Resistant Swine Flu Virus Found in Hong Kong
Of course; they didn't get enough fear and funding over the initial outbreak.

http://maxdunbar.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/panic.jpg
Why would the WHO want funding for any reason other than developing treatment?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
mcjagdflieger
Champion of Dueling Rectums
+26|6281|South Jersey
I would surmise they might be pocketing some of it, although im not a doctor.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum

mcjagdflieger wrote:

I would surmise they might be pocketing some of it, although im not a doctor.
and using it on what?

they're not a corparation.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard