Axatar
+29|6486|France
Then don't look after the achievements then, just play, they're called "achievements" for a reason.

Last edited by Axatar (2011-04-19 15:10:34)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5382|London, England

HaiBai wrote:

Jay wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

I don't think you should have to play 60 hours + to be good at a game, I just think you should be good at a game by being good at a game. If you suck, you should'nt be able to roll over anyone you want because the game is designed that way. If you come for a 1v1, the better should always win. Games are starting to go the way of everyone has a chance right from the start. It takes an important element out of the game I think. Controls shouldn't be so hard you need three arms to use, they should be accessible, with some elements that with the right ability you can get more out of it.
No, what it does is level the playing field so that what comes through is actual raw skill versus memorizing maps and bullet drop etc. You can train a monkey to become an expert as long as he puts the time and effort in. The people who bitch about nerfs and game changes and other shit do so because they lack the ability to adapt. They've hit their comfort zone via brute force and don't want it to ever change after they reach that point. Nevermind that their 'skill' is based on exploits and repetitive experience.

People with real skill in anything can pick it up quickly, learn the nuances and adapt when faced with change. The rest are just fakers who have to dump thousands of hours in in order to be competitive. The first group don't bitch, they simply stop playing, adapt, or find another game. The second group are the ultra-conservative-whine-about-any-change-made-to-their-game types.
skill is developed by putting more time into something

those who play 60 hours per week deserve to be rewarded for it
That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard. That's not skill, that's training. You want to prove you're skilled? Pull a game out of the box and if you find yourself on the leaderboard in the first week I'll be impressed. Anything after that and you're just a monkey that has trained himself to perform a repetitive task.

All a person putting 60 hours a week in is proving is that they have less of a life and a larger attention span than others. It doesn't prove skill at all.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6738|Purplicious Wisconsin
Haibai, you one of those people that believe practice makes perfect?
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6589|Area 51

Jay wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Jay wrote:

No, what it does is level the playing field so that what comes through is actual raw skill versus memorizing maps and bullet drop etc. You can train a monkey to become an expert as long as he puts the time and effort in. The people who bitch about nerfs and game changes and other shit do so because they lack the ability to adapt. They've hit their comfort zone via brute force and don't want it to ever change after they reach that point. Nevermind that their 'skill' is based on exploits and repetitive experience.

People with real skill in anything can pick it up quickly, learn the nuances and adapt when faced with change. The rest are just fakers who have to dump thousands of hours in in order to be competitive. The first group don't bitch, they simply stop playing, adapt, or find another game. The second group are the ultra-conservative-whine-about-any-change-made-to-their-game types.

That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard. That's not skill, that's training. You want to prove you're skilled? Pull a game out of the box and if you find yourself on the leaderboard in the first week I'll be impressed. Anything after that and you're just a monkey that has trained himself to perform a repetitive task.

All a person putting 60 hours a week in is proving is that they have less of a life and a larger attention span than others. It doesn't prove skill at all.
I think you are confusing skill with talent. If someone can pull a game out of a box and be top-dog within a week, said person is talented. Or that game is just full of retards that don't actually understand the game. With time a certain person with great talent can achieve great skill.
CC-Marley
+407|6853

jord wrote:

CC-Marley wrote:

Some pilots were overpowered.
If someones willing to put 100/200 hours into 1 method of gameplay to become good enough to dominate the scoreboard then fair play to them.
Was kidding. I loved raping in the F-18 on Wake. All the bitches crying.......sooooo long ago.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RDMC wrote:

Jay wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

I think you are confusing skill with talent. If someone can pull a game out of a box and be top-dog within a week, said person is talented. Or that game is just full of retards that don't actually understand the game. With time a certain person with great talent can achieve great skill.
If that's the way you want to define it, sure. Being 'skilled' is nothing to be proud of. It just means you have a high tolerance for repetitive tasks.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5508|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Jay wrote:

RDMC wrote:

Jay wrote:

If that's the way you want to define it, sure. Being 'skilled' is nothing to be proud of. It just means you have a high tolerance for repetitive tasks.
ok, with that logic, anyone who's good at their profession should be ashamed.

athletes, lawyers, engineers, programmers, they're all just stupid monkeys who put time into what they liked to do. 

actually, anyone who's good at anything should be ashamed.

you're playing a fucking online game, if you don't want to have to deal with competitive monkeys who are better then you, stick to singleplayer.  this is literally the most retarded argument i've ever argued against.  it's like you're trying to implement communism into a competitive environment.  not everyone is equal, and not everyone should be just as good as one another.

if you completely eliminate skill from a game it becomes the flip of a coin.  it's all luck.  there's nothing someone can do to improve their odds at winning.

War Man wrote:

Haibai, you one of those people that believe practice makes perfect?
practice does make you better.  being perfect is impossible.
War Man
It is just a saying, and no. Practice doesn't necessarily make you better. You can practice in an incorrect way and not learn or improve.

Anyway, I have kicked competitive monkey ass despite them being a higher rank and having more awards
HaiBai

War Man wrote:

It is just a saying, and no. Practice doesn't necessarily make you better. You can practice in an incorrect way and not learn or improve.

Anyway, I have kicked competitive monkey ass despite them being a higher rank and having more awards
practice does make you better.  practicing in an incorrect way simply makes you better at performing something in an incorrect way.

i could sit here and twiddle my thumbs, and if i keep doing it i'll become the fastest thumb twiddler in the world.  this is a skill that i developed.

also; the fact that someone has a higher rank or more awards does not make them more skilled at the game.  are they usually better then someone who has a lower rank or less awards?  yes.  this is because they've spent more time playing the game and have achieved these awards.  is it possible someone who's played for a smaller amount of time to be better then them?  of course.  this is where talent comes in.  someone might just be naturally better at something then someone else is.  they may not have to work as hard as someone who has less talent then them to achieve the same skill level.
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6833|Marathon, Florida Keys
Just realized after the last few posts this jay guy is a fucking moron and im going to refrain arguing with him because it would be a waste and just do as i did earlier in this sentence, call him a fucking moron.

Jay you are a fucking moron and i advise you go get a xbox360 they cater to more casual "i hate good players they give me a score of 2-32 every round" players.
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

.:ronin:.|Patton wrote:

Just realized after the last few posts this jay guy is a fucking moron and im going to refrain arguing with him because it would be a waste and just do as i did earlier in this sentence, call him a fucking moron.

Jay you are a fucking moron and i advise you go get a xbox360 they cater to more casual "i hate good players they give me a score of 2-32 every round" players.
Why? Because you're a no life fagot that is happy wasting his time while pretending that all the time wasted equates to some form of skill? Ok, I don't care if you don't like me. I think you're a waste of flesh. Can't believe they let maggots like you crawl out of their mothers basement.
-Frederick Bastiat

War Man wrote:

No, fuck you. Games shouldn't make you have to give away your life so you can just get achievements.
you can still get them, they just take longer lol

Jay wrote:

Why? Because you're a no life fagot that is happy wasting his time while pretending that all the time wasted equates to some form of skill? Ok, I don't care if you don't like me. I think you're a waste of flesh. Can't believe they let maggots like you crawl out of their mothers basement.
u mad?

My guess is yes, and you will be even madder when i run you over in bf3 (if you get it which i hope you will just so i can follow you around and kill you all the time). I'm naturally good at games, i learn very fast. I guess i have that "skill" out of box like you talk about. BTW about having no life i work 40 hours a week just like everyone else. You think im a basement dweller you're far from right homeboy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

HaiBai wrote:

Jay wrote:

RDMC wrote:

ok, with that logic, anyone who's good at their profession should be ashamed.

athletes, lawyers, engineers, programmers, they're all just stupid monkeys who put time into what they liked to do. 

actually, anyone who's good at anything should be ashamed.

you're playing a fucking online game, if you don't want to have to deal with competitive monkeys who are better then you, stick to singleplayer.  this is literally the most retarded argument i've ever argued against.  it's like you're trying to implement communism into a competitive environment.  not everyone is equal, and not everyone should be just as good as one another.

if you completely eliminate skill from a game it becomes the flip of a coin.  it's all luck.  there's nothing someone can do to improve their odds at winning.
Yeah that makes sense, compare your waste of time to the thousands of hours that engineers and lawyers put into improving their lives via their job. That translates beautifully.

And no, that's not what I said at all. I said that some people have an innate talent for whatever it is they do. Some people are generally better than others at whatever it is they try. It's just the way life is. People that are proud of putting in thousands of hours in a video game are not those people. They're bads that put in more time. Nothing more.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jay wrote:

u mad?

My guess is yes, and you will be even madder when i run you over in bf3 (if you get it which i hope you will just so i can follow you around and kill you all the time). I'm naturally good at games, i learn very fast. I guess i have that "skill" out of box like you talk about. BTW about having no life i work 40 hours a week just like everyone else. You think im a basement dweller you're far from right homeboy.
I don't care about your job at McDonald's. Not impressed. I'm also no impressed with your self asserted video game prowess. Even if you are good at video games, who cares? It's just about the most useless skill on the planet. The guy that can burp the alphabet has a more useful skill. At least he's fun at parties.
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6177|what

Jay wrote:

Not impressed. I'm also no impressed with your self asserted video game prowess. Even if you are good at video games, who cares? It's just about the most useless skill on the planet. The guy that can burp the alphabet has a more useful skill. At least he's fun at parties.
Unless it's a LAN party.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png

Jay wrote:

Jay wrote:

u mad?

I don't care about your job at McDonald's. Not impressed. I'm also no impressed with your self asserted video game prowess. Even if you are good at video games, who cares? It's just about the most useless skill on the planet. The guy that can burp the alphabet has a more useful skill. At least he's fun at parties.
MickyD's does not pay $25 an hour, original response there. As is self-asserted video game prowess, ask any of the old school bf2s'ers who used to play with me they can back my shit up. I havn't had a computer to play games on for the past 3 months im on a 2001 dell dinosaur right now, put away a knot of 100's to buy myself a new rig when the AMD bulldozer comes out.

Why am i even talking to you? You're some idiot who thinks everyone should run around getting one kill dying getting one kill dying over and over and over so everyone has the same amount of fun. Dipshit.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

Not impressed. I'm also no impressed with your self asserted video game prowess. Even if you are good at video games, who cares? It's just about the most useless skill on the planet. The guy that can burp the alphabet has a more useful skill. At least he's fun at parties.
Unless it's a LAN party.
True.
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6177|what

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

Unless it's a LAN party.
True.
Or Mario Party.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Unless it's a LAN party.
True.
Or Mario Party.
Can I be Bowser?
-Frederick Bastiat
War Man

HaiBai wrote:

War Man wrote:

practice does make you better.  practicing in an incorrect way simply makes you better at performing something in an incorrect way.

i could sit here and twiddle my thumbs, and if i keep doing it i'll become the fastest thumb twiddler in the world.  this is a skill that i developed
And eventually if a monkey keeps typing on a computer he will eventually be able to type sentences and become intelligent.
HaiBai

Jay wrote:

Yeah that makes sense, compare your waste of time to the thousands of hours that engineers and lawyers put into improving their lives via their job. That translates beautifully.
if it's such a waste of time, why are you even here?  oh wait, it's for you're own personal enjoyment, right?  well guess what, people enjoy playing games.  i know, it's hard to believe.

Jay wrote:

And no, that's not what I said at all. I said that some people have an innate talent for whatever it is they do. Some people are generally better than others at whatever it is they try. It's just the way life is. People that are proud of putting in thousands of hours in a video game are not those people. They're bads that put in more time. Nothing more.
so what do you suggest game developers do?  make it impossible for someone to get better at a game through practice or playtime? 

also:
Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction. Games generally involve mental or physical stimulation, and often both. Many games help develop practical skills, serve as a form of exercise, or otherwise perform an educational, simulational, or psychological role.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game

if you don't want to be challenged, you should find another hobby that doesn't have any competition involved.

War Man wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

War Man wrote:

i could sit here and twiddle my thumbs, and if i keep doing it i'll become the fastest thumb twiddler in the world.  this is a skill that i developed
And eventually if a monkey keeps typing on a computer he will eventually be able to type sentences and become intelligent.
sure, but the monkey will be dead long before then.
War Man
Which means, never.

Also, how is twiddling your thumbs incorrect?

Last edited by War Man (2011-04-19 19:21:57)

HaiBai
what's your point
War Man
Look at my edit as well.

But really, how can you say you get better if you end up dead?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard