blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6616
Teens whose parents let them stay up after midnight on weeknights have a much higher chance of being depressed or suicidal than teens whose parents enforce an earlier bedtime, says research being presented today at a national sleep conference.

Middle- and high-schoolers whose parents don't require them to be in bed before midnight on school nights are 42% more likely to be depressed than teens whose parents require a 10 p.m. or earlier bedtime. And teens who are allowed to stay up late are 30% more likely to have had suicidal thoughts in the past year.

The NIH survey found that kids whose parents called for a 9-10 p.m. bedtime said they were in bed, on average, by 10:04 p.m. They slept for 8 hours and 10 minutes on average, compared with 7½ hours for kids allowed to stay up past midnight.

The lesson for parents is simple, Gangwisch says: Try as much as possible to sell teenagers on the importance of getting enough sleep — even if it seems that they don't need as much as younger children (actually, they need as much — about nine hours — but usually get only 7½ hours or so, according to the NIH).

"We feel like we can just eat into our sleep time," he says, "but we pay for it in many different ways."

source

1.)How many hours of sleep do u get? What does this mean to you? Does this study prove anything?
2.) Do you have any thoughts about suicide and do u think its connected to not getting enough sleep?
3.)When do you go to bed?
4.)When do you get up?
5.) do u think this study is waste of time and money?
6.)finally wut time should the schools start?
7.)should schools start at like 10 or 11 instead of 7:45 or 8:00am?

Last edited by blademaster (2009-06-09 11:43:55)

CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6101|Carnoustie MASSIF
You ask too many questions...
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Maybe you can't sleep because you have some underlining anxiety disorder that is the cause for your lack of sleep rather then your lack of sleep being the cause of your anxiety?
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6616

SirSchloppy wrote:

You ask too many questions...
well better start typin no time to waste also Ill reorganize the questions....

Last edited by blademaster (2009-06-09 11:42:47)

SamBo:D
Banned
+236|5468|England
I get between 4 and 7 hours sleep on weekdays and about 7 or 8 and the weekend

Have to get up at 7.30 on weekdays, whenever on weekends

I'm not depressed and I think suicide is stupid
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6709|Toronto | Canada

Well I get about 4-5 hours sleep on weekdays and I'm 18 so it looks like I should be on suicide watch
sleep is more important for older people cause They are the ones that really feel the ache and tiredness after a long day.  so screw dem and stay up as late as you need to.

lols yes too many q you asked
i get around 6 hours and it's enough.. after weekends of parties where i get 4 hours of rest - they can really add up and can take a toll lol but it never gets me to a point of thinking about suicide after a lack of sleep..
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Well I get about 4-5 hours sleep on weekdays and I'm 18 so it looks like I should be on suicide watch
How do you function? I notice myself being stupider than normal when I get only ~7 hours of sleep. At 4-5 hours of sleep I am a totally useless, zombie.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6424|The Twilight Zone
School here usually starts at 8.00, at least it did for me.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

For the questions.
1. 2-3 hours day
2. Meh
3. 5 AM
4. 6:30
5. Nay
6. 12
7. Yes
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6709|Toronto | Canada

Superior Mind wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

How do you function? I notice myself being stupider than normal when I get only ~7 hours of sleep. At 4-5 hours of sleep I am a totally useless, zombie.
I was for the first few weeks but now I'm pretty used to it.  Go to bed at 1-2am and get up at 6am consistently now.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6655|Espoo, Finland
I'm pretty sure you aren't going to get depressed or have suicidal thoughts if you live a normal happy life regardless of how much you sleep.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6424|The Twilight Zone

Gawwad wrote:

I'm pretty sure you aren't going to get depressed or have suicidal thoughts if you live a normal happy life regardless of how much you sleep.
I agree with G here.
Depression might be the cause for lack of sleep but not the other way around, at least I think thats not normal
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
too_money2007
+145|6279|Keller, Tx

blademaster wrote:

1.)How many hours of sleep do u get? What does this mean to you? Does this study prove anything?
2.) Do you have any thoughts about suicide and do u think its connected to not getting enough sleep?
4.)When do you get up?
1. I usually get between 6-7 hours, on average. I'm 27 with a 2 year old and a 5 month old and an 8 to 4:30 job.
2. Nope, never consider suicide.
3. 11 pm to midnight
4. 6:30 - 7 am
5. probably
6. school should start at 8 am
7. no, get the kids on the world's schedule, not the other way around
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6546|London
I average 9 hours a day and that's not including me being asleep in lectures etc.

Back in secondary school though it would have been closer to 7.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6592|London, England
I'd say it's the opposite way surely, when you're down/feeling low it's harder to fall asleep, these numpties seem to have it the wrong way

Although I guess they are talking about depression and not just the odd days when you're just pissed off at shit
-Gunsmoke-
+165|6606|South Jersey
this study, it's bullshit, source: my factual opinion
Jasp
Bongabilla
+171|6633|The Outer Circle
I sleep less than 4hrs during the week, but on sunday i try to get at least 12+

If suicide meant killing other people then maybe?

When Im tired.

4.)When do you get up?
When I have to goto work.

They usually are.

6am. srs.

no.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/11882/holteendersig2.jpghttps://forums.bf2s.com/img/avatars/11508.gif
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6538|NYC / Hamburg

blademaster wrote:

8 usually. Less if I have to get loads of work done
I love life. No suicide for me until I get old.
4AM
4.)When do you get up?
Noon
Yes
After lunch
No, after lunch
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6243
Seven to eight hours a day. Im not suicidal as far as i know.
Im an angry sad cunt when im going through a tough school day sleepless. Maybe thats where the article is getting at.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6385|Finland

I couldn't disagree more.

If someone is preventing me from staying up as long as I want, THAT would be the cause for depression.

Anywais sounds like another bs study to me... playing doom makes you shoot ppl etc. lol....

Edit: I love staying up late and sleeping long in the morning. Usually I sleep less during week and then in weekend maybe 10-12 hours/night.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-06-09 12:28:37)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Jasp
Bongabilla
+171|6633|The Outer Circle
I wouldnt say teens linked with depression, havent ya seen little kids (like 3) when they aint had sleep, jesus wept theyre a pain the fuckin arse.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/11882/holteendersig2.jpghttps://forums.bf2s.com/img/avatars/11508.gif
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5735|Belgium
1.)How many hours of sleep do u get? Usually 7 hours
2.) Do you have any thoughts about suicide and do u think its connected to not getting enough sleep? No & no
3.)When do you go to bed? During schooldays, usually 10-10.30 - watch tv till 11 - fall asleep around 11.30..
4.)When do you get up? 6.30
5.) do u think this study is waste of time and money? No opinion
6.)finally wut time should the schools start? 8.30 EDIT: Oops misread this one... Umm, it should start as soon as possible, 8 AM would be good.
7.)should schools start at like 10 or 11 instead of 7:45 or 8:00am? No

Last edited by Jebus (2009-06-09 12:37:03)

blah
macaroni with cheeseeee
+111|5718|Croatia

blademaster wrote:

4.)When do you get up?
1. 6-7.
2. no
3. around midnight - 1am
4. 6am when I have school in the morning and 7:30am when I have school in the afternoon
5. yes
6. I don't care
7. no

I probably lack of sleep but I compensate for it with afternoon nap
trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6229|B.C. Canada

blademaster wrote:

Teens whose parents let them stay up after midnight on weeknights have a much higher chance of being depressed or suicidal than teens whose parents enforce an earlier bedtime, says research being presented today at a national sleep conference.

Middle- and high-schoolers whose parents don't require them to be in bed before midnight on school nights are 42% more likely to be depressed than teens whose parents require a 10 p.m. or earlier bedtime. And teens who are allowed to stay up late are 30% more likely to have had suicidal thoughts in the past year.

The NIH survey found that kids whose parents called for a 9-10 p.m. bedtime said they were in bed, on average, by 10:04 p.m. They slept for 8 hours and 10 minutes on average, compared with 7½ hours for kids allowed to stay up past midnight.

The lesson for parents is simple, Gangwisch says: Try as much as possible to sell teenagers on the importance of getting enough sleep — even if it seems that they don't need as much as younger children (actually, they need as much — about nine hours — but usually get only 7½ hours or so, according to the NIH).

"We feel like we can just eat into our sleep time," he says, "but we pay for it in many different ways."

source

4.)When do you get up?
Well I am no longer a teenager but I agree with this topic. I used to go to bed at about 1-2 and wake up at about 10-11 and I felt like shit. I felt lazy and depressed.
Then I decided I had enough of this shit feeling so I started going to bed at 11 and waking up at 8. Couple weeks went by and I can honestly say that I feel a lot better. I have more energy and I am no longer depressed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard