Flecco wrote:

mcjagdflieger wrote:

Why bother arguing with him? Armchair generals do not lose battles! I bet you he thinks Japan shouldn't have been nuked back in dubya  dubya two as well. Any takers?

K m8. Get back under the bridge.

Kmarion wrote:

Flecco wrote:

That and securing the country, back then, would have been very difficult, if not impossible.

They weren't planning on it. Logistical nightmare, and next to pointless. The only objective relating to Australia with regards to the Japanese leadership I've ever heard about was isolation from the USA to ensure the USA couldn't launch a counter attack using Australia as a staging ground. An interesting PDF for you. The whole point of Japan's conquest in Asia at the time was to carve out what was called the 'East Asia Economic Zone' or some crap. Extreme economic pressure from the Western Powers, specifically the USA, was what escalated it from a localised and rather brutal expansion into Asia by Japan into a total war in the Pacific. No, I'm not trying to say it was all the USA's fault before one of you jumps on that. It was what caused the Pearl Harbour Attack though.
To actually believe that they did not plan on attacking Australia given what Australia was already doing and who they were allied with is just too illogical. It defies common sense. They may not have wanted your land/involvement, but strategically they knew it's importance (for the allies). Confrontation was inevitable.

Or as your Prime Minister put it, "..if war came to the Pacific it would be of Japan's making. Japan has now made war. .....For the first time in the history of the Pacific, armed conflict stalks abroad. No other country than Japan desired war in the Pacific. The responsibility for this actual resort to war is therefore upon Japan.... Australia goes to its battle stations in defense of its very way of living."
They did attack. Jap subs in Sydney Harbour and there's this little city up the road from me called Darwin that got bombed 59 times. The town I live in now got bombed. My Grandfather was farming for the war effort here at the time. He drove ambulances during the bombings and was deployed to Rabaul later as part of the Australian deployment that took over after the Japanese surrender.

I meant invasion wasn't on the cards. They did invade Australian territory, but the historical evidence suggests that no invasion of the mainland was planned.
I see. No they couldn't handle an invasion. But you wrote "Japan was never going to attack us.". I had to contest that. I've read about the Darwin and Broome bombings.
Xbone Stormsurgezz