Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6734
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opini … 35467.html

America’s legendary "Melting Pot" has assimilated millions of immigrants from around the globe into our society, and in process greatly improve their lot, usually by the third generation.  But that's not what's happening with Hispanics, who represent the largest wave of immigration into the United States since the 1920s. A Pew Hispanic Center study found that on a number of social indicators, third-generation Hispanics are actually worse off than their first-and second-generation counterparts.

“The children of Latino immigrants experience better outcomes than do Latino children in the third or higher generations” the study found, the reverse of how the Melting Pot process is supposed to work. Hispanic children of U.S.-born parents have lower birth weights, more health problems during childhood, and higher rates of smoking, alcohol and illegal drug consumption. They also engage in more violent or delinquent behavior as adolescents.

This disturbing reversal can largely be explained by one stark fact – spiraling rates of illegitimacy in the Hispanic community. “The chances of being raised by a single parent are much greater among Latino children in the third generation or higher,” the Pew study noted. While 69 percent of first-generation and 73 percent of second-generation Hispanic children live with their married parents, that percentage falls to just 52 percent by the third generation.

The decline of the nuclear family among Latinos is having the same predictable effects it has had in other American communities. A quarter of the six million Hispanic children with American-born parents live in poverty. Sixteen percent have parents who have not finished high school, and 5 percent are not fluent in English despite the fact that both they and their parents were born in an English-speaking country.

Since the number of babies born to Hispanic woman in the U.S. now surpasses the total number of Hispanic immigrants, the decline in the well-being of the third generation should be a matter of great public concern. It is a recipe for expanding poverty and all the misery and social dysfunction that goes with it. Since 1965, when then-Assistant Secretary of Labor Daniel Patrick Moynihan, a New Deal liberal, warned that the growing number of single mothers in urban areas was a ticking time bomb, the number of children born out of wedlock in the U.S. has more than doubled, with some of the sharpest increases among Hispanics. It’s no coincidence that their children and grand children are now paying the price. The consequences of the decline of traditional marriage are widespread indeed.
//////////////
Thought this was interesting...
what can they do to help themselves... and ease the burden on themselves and the US?
Love is the answer
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6566|San Diego, CA, USA
What we need to do is stop all these programs like English-is-a-second Language in our schools.  We encourage immigrants not to learn English in the United States.  English is the language of opportunity and we should not coddle them in this way.

If I were to go live in France I would expect to learn French. 

Additionally we need to make sure they come here legally.  If they come here and they are now following our laws they are already teaching their kids is ok to 'milk' the system.

Face it, they come here because for the most part their own country sucks.

Full disclosure: I'm 1st generation Hispanic.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6465|Chicago, IL
Harmor's right

I wouldn't go to France and expect them to cater to my needs, I'd learn French.  This press 1 for English garbage is allowing them to exist as a nation within a nation rather than begin the assimilation process.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6423|North Carolina
Using contraceptives more would help.

We can thank the influence of Catholicism for why they don't often use them.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5604

I for one blame the American culture.
NgoDamWei
+7|5681|Western North Carolina

Macbeth wrote:

Tremendous insight, I particularly enjoyed the specifics.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5604

NgoDamWei wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Well for specifics I blame MTV and rap music.

Seriously
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6683|NT, like Mick Dundee

S.Lythberg wrote:

Harmor's right

I wouldn't go to France and expect them to cater to my needs, I'd learn French.  This press 1 for English garbage is allowing them to exist as a nation within a nation rather than begin the assimilation process.
Immigrate to France, speak French.

Immigrate to Russia, speak Russki.

Immigrate to China, speak Mandarin.

Immigrate to the UK, speak English.

Immigrate to Mexico, speak Spanish.

Immigrate to the USA and they'll waste taxpayer money to train people to speak two languages to accommodate you.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Turquoise
O Canada

Flecco wrote:

Immigrate to the USA and they'll waste taxpayer money to train people to speak two languages to accommodate you.
Try explaining that to liberals...  a lot of them just don't get it.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

Macbeth wrote:

NgoDamWei wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Seriously
Well by all means lets blame EVERYONE except the people themselves for their dengenerated attitudes.. I guess free healthcare, no taxes, and free welfare is just not enough to please some people.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5604

lowing wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

NgoDamWei wrote:

Seriously
Well by all means lets blame EVERYONE except the people themselves for their dengenerated attitudes.. I guess free healthcare, no taxes, and free welfare is just not enough to please some people.
“The children of Latino immigrants experience better outcomes than do Latino children in the third or higher generations” the study found, the reverse of how the Melting Pot process is supposed to work. Hispanic children of U.S.-born parents have lower birth weights, more health problems during childhood, and higher rates of smoking, alcohol and illegal drug consumption. They also engage in more violent or delinquent behavior as adolescents.
Sounds like some issues with the overall culture, hence why I blame MTV and rap music Those are culture things
Turquoise
O Canada

Macbeth wrote:

lowing wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Seriously
Sounds like some issues with the overall culture, hence why I blame MTV and rap music Those are culture things
True...  One of the better things about Mexican culture is that family is strongly stressed by their Catholic principles.  I suppose that dwindles in the environments they face here.

It would be nice if we could get them to drop their inhibitions about contraceptives while still keeping their familial focus in place.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

Macbeth wrote:

lowing wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Seriously
Those are TV shows and music genres nothing more. We can choose simply not to watch or listen to it. Those things play on an already destructive attitude. It did not create it.

Don't get me wrong though, I do know what you are saying, I just see fit to lay the blame at the root of it, bad parenting and lack of person responsibility

Last edited by lowing (2009-06-07 15:28:23)

Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

lowing wrote:

Those TV shows and music genres nothing more. We can choose simply not to watch or listen to it. Those things play on an already destructive attitude. It did not create it.

Don't get me wrong though, I do know what you are saying, I just see fit to lay the blame at the root of it, bad parenting and lack of person responsibility
On a broader level, media, religion, and parenting all can be considered part of culture.  While personal responsibility obviously plays a part in behavior, how one defines responsibility is influenced by media, religion, and parenting.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

lowing wrote:

Those TV shows and music genres nothing more. We can choose simply not to watch or listen to it. Those things play on an already destructive attitude. It did not create it.

On a broader level, media, religion, and parenting all can be considered part of culture.  While personal responsibility obviously plays a part in behavior, how one defines responsibility is influenced by media, religion, and parenting.
I disagree, one can define responsibility by the positive or negnitive choices one makes, and the affect of those choices on their lives. Anyone who lets themselves be swayed by media or religion, is just sheep. If you use Tide because your favorite NASCAR driver said so, well, you are part of the problem.
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

I disagree, one can define responsibility by the positive or negnitive choices one makes, and the affect of those choices on their lives. Anyone who lets themselves be swayed by media or religion, is just sheep. If you use Tide because your favorite NASCAR driver said so, well, you are part of the problem.
Most people are followers.  There's no getting around that.  Logically, it would make the most sense to define things by whether or not they are a net positive or net negative, but in the end, the masses respond more to what their surroundings suggest.

In effect, most people are not freethinkers.  Therefore, it is important for culture to encourage positive behavior.

On a more extreme level, you can see what destructive and intolerant behavior some Islamic cultures encourage.  This isn't because Muslims are more innately destructive but because the cultures that some of them live in encourage the wrong behavior.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Most people are followers.  There's no getting around that.  Logically, it would make the most sense to define things by whether or not they are a net positive or net negative, but in the end, the masses respond more to what their surroundings suggest.

In effect, most people are not freethinkers.  Therefore, it is important for culture to encourage positive behavior.

On a more extreme level, you can see what destructive and intolerant behavior some Islamic cultures encourage.  This isn't because Muslims are more innately destructive but because the cultures that some of them live in encourage the wrong behavior.
again I disagree, we are talking about free will.

If one CHOOSES positively in ones life, regardless as to what Ozzy Osbourne says on his album, one can expect positive results, the reverse is the same.
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

If one CHOOSES positively in ones life, regardless as to what Ozzy Osbourne says on his album, one can expect positive results, the reverse is the same.
Let me clarify something here.  I'm not suggesting we censor things like rap or Ozzy.  I'm very much against censorship.

What I'm saying is that, as a society, we should recognize that some of what the media targets at children and young adults is destructive.  More private efforts should be made to address this.

Encouraging people to be more freethinking and to accept more personal responsibility is a good thing as well, but it is a slow and difficult process.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Let me clarify something here.  I'm not suggesting we censor things like rap or Ozzy.  I'm very much against censorship.

What I'm saying is that, as a society, we should recognize that some of what the media targets at children and young adults is destructive.  More private efforts should be made to address this.

Encouraging people to be more freethinking and to accept more personal responsibility is a good thing as well, but it is a slow and difficult process.
I am not speaking of censorship either. I am saying there are choices in life, good and bad, I refuse to blame the media for individuals making shitty choices, I blame the person who made it.

the media targets fads and fashion. We decide, what those are. Rap is a success because the masses want it. Not because someone is force feeding it to them.
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

I am not speaking of censorship either. I am saying there are choices in life, good and bad, I refuse to blame the media for individuals making shitty choices, I blame the person who made it.

the media targets fads and fashion. We decide, what those are. Rap is a success because the masses want it. Not because someone is force feeding it to them.
I think you'll find that we do generally hold people responsible for their bad decisions.  We do subsidize the children of the poor, but what other choice do we have?  Those born to irresponsible parents aren't at fault for their parents' decisions.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I think you'll find that we do generally hold people responsible for their bad decisions.  We do subsidize the children of the poor, but what other choice do we have?  Those born to irresponsible parents aren't at fault for their parents' decisions.
you are correct, we have little choice, except to keep out illegal aliens before they burden our society and to throw out illegal aliens to stop them from continuing to burden our society. Uhhhhhh regardless of race. I don't care if an Englishmen was here illegally, throw his ass out.

Last edited by lowing (2009-06-07 16:02:54)

Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6683|NT, like Mick Dundee

Don't forget, good and bad is defined by culture.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

Flecco wrote:

Don't forget, good and bad is defined by culture.
Yer correct, but positve and negitive affects to a person is pretty much in stone.
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

you are correct, we have little choice, except to keep out illegal aliens before they burden our society and to throw out illegal aliens to stop them from continuing to burden our society. Uhhhhhh regardless of race. I don't care if an Englishmen was here illegally, throw his ass out.
We also need to prosecute employers of illegals...
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

We also need to prosecute employers of illegals...
Agreed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard