lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/02/ … index.html

I find it absurd and insulting that Obam thinks that itis the USA that has an image problem regarding Islam. In my mind it is Islam that has the fuckin image problem and perhaps the effort should be made by Muslims to fix it.

I guess sucided vests, car bombs, beheadings, genital mutialtion, stonings, child molestation etc isn't the real image problem. The US is the problem and Obama is now on a Muslim world apology tour. ( again)

God I hate this guy.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6633|Finland

I do believe he talks about people who label each and every muslim in the world to be a wife-raping jihadist who beheads his children after eating their souls, citing the Quran in front of a shitty VHS-cam, sending it to Al-Jazeera and building IED:s out of goat manure.

You know, people like you.
I need around tree fiddy.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557
The US has an image problem - and not just regarding Islam but regarding the majority of the known world outside of America. But thankfully Obama is fixing the generalised redneck hick ignorant oblivious gung ho neanderthal team america trash the rest of the world like an angry beast image.

Fair play to him. If only some Islamic leaders took a leaf out of his book and had some balls to call out the skeletons in their closet.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-06-02 12:46:29)

13rin
+977|6480

lowing wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/02/obama.trip/index.html

I find it absurd and insulting that Obam thinks that itis the USA that has an image problem regarding Islam. In my mind it is Islam that has the fuckin image problem and perhaps the effort should be made by Muslims to fix it.

I guess sucided vests, car bombs, beheadings, genital mutialtion, stonings, child molestation etc isn't the real image problem. The US is the problem and Obama is now on a Muslim world apology tour. ( again)

God I hate this guy.
You and me both Brother.  I'm so sick of the 'apologist attitude'.  I really am dissappointed with America.  I hold the media largely responsible.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

DBBrinson1 wrote:

You and me both Brother.  I'm so sick of the 'apologist attitude'.  I really am dissappointed with America.  I hold the media largely responsible.
DB - America has a problem. The Muslim world has a long had very legitimate grievances with respect to US and general western involvement in their region. He is recognising that and putting his hand up. Hate him for the overspend but not the very much overdue apology and constructive attitude towards international affairs. PR is 9/10 of the battle. Of course the US could continue being antagonistic and non-constructive with these nations upon whose oil resources so much is dictated globally and see where that gets them.

The logical analysis goes like this:

1) Does the US have a poor image in the middle east? Yes.
2) Does the US have interests in the middle east? Yes.
3) Is there a chance that these actions might have a positive effect? Yes, maybe.
4) Does it cost the US anything to attempt to improve their image in the region through dialogue and embrace? No.
5) Has the status quo antagonism and poorly planned strongman attitude yielded results in terms of the US image in this pivotal region? Certainly not. And not just in the middle east but everywhere else too.

Pride can be a very ugly and counter-productive thing. The fact that lowing can't comprehend that the US has a very real image problem pretty much everywhere outside the US (assuming this from his inverted commas on the word image) shows how insular and oblivious he is. He's basically a poster boy for America's poor image globally. Stubborn, proud, ignorant and unconstructive. Of course I know for a fact he doesn't care about the image of the US outside of the US so him posting this article, which pertains to the US image globally, seems rather odd in that context.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-06-02 13:20:52)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

Pfft.  The US does not have an image problem.  Plenty of people from all over the world would do almost anything to live here, and that includes moderate Muslims.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

Ilocano wrote:

Pfft.  The US does not have an image problem.  Plenty of people from all over the world would do almost anything to live here, and that includes moderate Muslims.
That has not much to do with image. That has more to do with being in total shithole impoverished nations and simply wanting a decent standard of living. Plenty of people flock into Europe for the same reasons, irrespective of what they think of Europe's 'image'. Many Algerians must hate France but they flock there all the same. Plenty of Irish poured into the UK over the decades looking for jobs despite having no great love for the place.

The main thing to remember is that attempts are being made to rectify this and for that I commend Obama. I also commend him highly for his break from the recent trend of supporting Israel in everything they do, no matter how heinous are counter to US principles. I am tempted to say that he really does represent change but it is far too early to say just yet.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-06-02 13:27:39)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

CameronPoe wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

That has not much to do with image. That has more to do with being in total shithole impoverished nations and simply wanting a decent standard of living. Plenty of people flock into Europe for the same reasons, irrespective of what they think of Europe's 'image'. Many Algerians must hate France but they flock there all the same. If you think the US does not have a bad image abroad then I suggest to take a trip outside.
I have.  White people are adored all over Asia.  Many of them want to marry white men.  And it does have to do about image.    They want a piece of that American dream and live the American life.  That is the image of America that they see.  Not some super power pushing it's agenda on the world.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6633|Finland

Ilocano wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

That has not much to do with image. That has more to do with being in total shithole impoverished nations and simply wanting a decent standard of living. Plenty of people flock into Europe for the same reasons, irrespective of what they think of Europe's 'image'. Many Algerians must hate France but they flock there all the same. If you think the US does not have a bad image abroad then I suggest to take a trip outside.
I have.  White people are adored all over Asia.  Many of them want to marry white men.  And it does have to do about image.    They want a piece of that American dream and live the American life.  That is the image of America that they see.  Not some super power pushing it's agenda on the world.
Koreans think white people are stupid gits as far as I know.
I need around tree fiddy.
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|5937

lowing wrote:

God I hate this guy.
You, me and a lot of other people bud.

Unfortunately most Americans didn't see this coming for some reason...
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

CameronPoe wrote:

The US has an image problem - and not just regarding Islam but regarding the majority of the known world outside of America. But thankfully Obama is fixing the generalised redneck hick ignorant oblivious gung ho neanderthal team america trash the rest of the world like an angry beast image.

Fair play to him. If only some Islamic leaders took a leaf out of his book and had some balls to call out the skeletons in their closet.
QFT
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

DB - America has a problem. The Muslim world has a long had very legitimate grievances with respect to US and general western involvement in their region. He is recognising that and putting his hand up. Hate him for the overspend but not the very much overdue apology and constructive attitude towards international affairs. PR is 9/10 of the battle. Of course the US could continue being antagonistic and non-constructive with these nations upon whose oil resources so much is dictated globally and see where that gets them.

The logical analysis goes like this:

1) Does the US have a poor image in the middle east? Yes.
2) Does the US have interests in the middle east? Yes.
3) Is there a chance that these actions might have a positive effect? Yes, maybe.
4) Does it cost the US anything to attempt to improve their image in the region through dialogue and embrace? No.
5) Has the status quo antagonism and poorly planned strongman attitude yielded results in terms of the US image in this pivotal region? Certainly not. And not just in the middle east but everywhere else too.

Pride can be a very ugly and counter-productive thing. The fact that lowing can't comprehend that the US has a very real image problem pretty much everywhere outside the US (assuming this from his inverted commas on the word image) shows how insular and oblivious he is. He's basically a poster boy for America's poor image globally. Stubborn, proud, ignorant and unconstructive. Of course I know for a fact he doesn't care about the image of the US outside of the US so him posting this article, which pertains to the US image globally, seems rather odd in that context.
any chance that if our image is so terrible that the world will stop taking our foreign aid?  Why do I doubt it.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= … X%26um%3D1

and Cam, regardless as to what you think of the US, it has helped and continues to help the world in money and blood of our citizens more than any other country now or in history. We are without a doubt the most generous nation in history even woth all of our faults and blackeyes.

Last edited by lowing (2009-06-02 13:39:23)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

lowing wrote:

and Cam, regardless as to what you think of the US, it has helped and continues to help the world in money and blood of our citizens more than any other country now or in history. We are without a doubt the most generous nation in history even woth all of our faults and blackeyes.
True dat.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

Ilocano wrote:

My own experience in China was one of Chinese pride in their nation and a buzz of developing their own nation, not shipping out to Uncle Sam. They loved their McDonalds alright but if that represents the 'American image' then that would be quite sad. When I was in Moscow I noticed that the Russians were all mad for McDonalds but the media and the people were anything but fond of the US politically speaking. When I was in Jordan, Turkey and Palestine all I heard were complaints about the US. The Israelis loved America incidentally, with Israel-America flags and t-shirts in abundance. Throughout Europe millions of people turned out in the streets to protest against American actions in the middle east. I have encountered lots of US tourists on my travels and in Ireland who are concerned with their nation's image. These days this forms one of the less savoury components of the image of the US in a lot of the world:

https://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2004/05/20/1abughraib1.jpg

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-06-02 13:45:55)

Turquoise
O Canada
A lot of the world's people don't like us.  That's not the same as saying all of their governments do.

We're also not the world's most generous country when comparing our aid to the size of our economy.

Now, I'm not saying the majority of the world has to like us.  It's just that being interventionist with a lot of the world not liking you is counterproductive.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

lowing wrote:

any chance that if our image is so terrible that the world will stop taking our foreign aid?  Why do I doubt it.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= … X%26um%3D1

Since when did image bother people scrounging money. When was the last time a white tramp who happened to be racist refuse change from a black businessman?

The US does help the world in many ways and there was no way I would ever deny that. But what you have to recognise is that, as with most countries, there is the good, the bad and the ugly. And that currently the US does have an image problem. One that might even be resolved through empty PR exercises. How hard would that be.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-06-02 13:44:39)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

CameronPoe wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

My own experience in China was one of Chinese pride in their nation and a buzz of developing their own nation, not shipping out to Uncle Sam. They loved their McDonalds alright but if that represents the 'American image' then that would be quite sad. When I was in Moscow I noticed that the Russians were all mad for McDonalds but the media and the people were anything but fond of the US politically speaking. When I was in Jordan, Turkey and Palestine all I heard were complaints about the US. The Israelis loved America incidentally, with Israel-America flags and t-shirts in abundance. Throughout Europe millions of people turned out in the streets to protest against American actions in the middle east. I have encountered lots of US tourists on my travels and in Ireland who are concerned with their nation's image. These days this is the image of the US in a lot of the world:

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/ … hraib1.jpg
That's the media and the vocal minority.  If you ask the common person who's first thoughts are putting food on the table, I'm sure you'll hear a different story.  Curious you didn't mention countries that thrived on tourism.

And then all the foreign students we have who pay far more in tuition than locals to go to our Universities.
Turquoise
O Canada

CameronPoe wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

My own experience in China was one of Chinese pride in their nation and a buzz of developing their own nation, not shipping out to Uncle Sam. They loved their McDonalds alright but if that represents the 'American image' then that would be quite sad. When I was in Moscow I noticed that the Russians were all mad for McDonalds but the media and the people were anything but fond of the US politically speaking. When I was in Jordan, Turkey and Palestine all I heard were complaints about the US. The Israelis loved America incidentally, with Israel-America flags and t-shirts in abundance. Throughout Europe millions of people turned out in the streets to protest against American actions in the middle east. I have encountered lots of US tourists on my travels and in Ireland who are concerned with their nation's image. These days this forms one of the less savoury components of the image of the US in a lot of the world:

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/ … hraib1.jpg
A friend of mine who studied abroad in Russia said that most of the Russians she met loved Obama (even though they really didn't know much about him).

I have another friend who recently became a Turkish citizen who apparently says that a lot of Turkish women seem to like Western European and white American men (he'll be marrying a Turkish woman soon himself), but their view of our government is mixed.

From what I can gather, our freedoms attract people, but our interventionism often annoys them.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

Ilocano wrote:

That's the media and the vocal minority.  If you ask the common person who's first thoughts are putting food on the table, I'm sure you'll hear a different story.  Curious you didn't mention countries that thrived on tourism.

And then all the foreign students we have who pay far more in tuition than locals to go to our Universities.
The common person in most of the developed world's primary concern is not putting food on the table - it's generally banal shit like adding an extension to their home, getting that promotion, buying the latest gadget from Sony or having another child. You speak of people who couldn't care less about politics because they have far more pressing needs i.e., they're very poor. Do you really think people have such little pride in their own home nations that they all want to go to the US? My youngest brother has shipped off to Canada for a few months work - is he 'chasing the Canadian dream'? He was in Australia before that. He just goes because he wants to travel and make a living while doing it.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717

Bradt3hleader wrote:

lowing wrote:

God I hate this guy.
You, me and a lot of other people bud.

Unfortunately most Americans didn't see this coming for some reason...
He is pathetic... keep bowing and apologizing... while you systematically make sure to ruin the economy by
keeping the entitled people happy... Screw those go getter wealthy business owners...

and to Cam... no offense, but when will you stop apologizing for the islamic radical folks?
we don't care what you think of the US also... thanks for the concern though...
Love is the answer
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

and to Cam... no offense, but when will you stop apologizing for the islamic radical folks?
we don't care what you think of the US also... thanks for the concern though...
Why would I apologize for those cunts?

And did I ever for a moment suggest you cared what I thought? I stated as much in a post!

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-06-02 13:57:05)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

CameronPoe wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

The common person in most of the developed world's primary concern is not putting food on the table - it's generally banal shit like adding an extension to their home, getting that promotion, buying the latest gadget from Sony or having another child. You speak of people who couldn't care less about politics because they have far more pressing needs i.e., they're very poor. Do you really think people have such little pride in their own home nations that they all want to go to the US? My youngest brother has shipped off to Canada for a few months work - is he 'chasing the Canadian dream'? He was in Australia before that. He just goes because he wants to travel and make a living while doing it.
It has nothing to do with little pride about their own country.  Hell, if anything, I see plenty of pride in their own country.  Look at Pacquiao, Yao Ming, and the countless Latin baseball players who succeeded here.  Their countrymen people adore and idolize their heroes and pride of their countries, and then dream that they could hope for the same thing if they can make it to the US.  I know, because I walked and shared meals among them.  Despite the negative things that the US is doing across the world, it hardly affects their desire to live the American life.

As for your brother, well, his circumstances are different.  He isn't chasing the Canadian dream, because he doesn't have to.  BTW, plenty of Chinese and Filipinos are proudly claiming Canadian citizenship.  So much, that native Canadians are considering stricter quotas.

Turquoise wrote:

From what I can gather, our freedoms attract people, but our interventionism often annoys them.
Well said.

Last edited by Ilocano (2009-06-02 14:09:45)

konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6551|CH/BR - in UK

You know you have an image problem when people all around the world regard Americans as unintelligent and obnoxious. It's easier to fight terrorism politically - ie not giving the image to the Muslim world that you hate their guts, so it's more difficult for radical groups to find material.

This, btw, @lowing, means the US is not getting the credit it deserves, not that the US is doing a lot of things wrong. Granted, there are things that can be improved - and while many things have, the outside look on the USA is the same. How would a US patriot such as yourself not want the rest of the world to hold the USA in higher regard? Your arguments make no sense whatsoever...

-kon
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

Ilocano wrote:

It has nothing to do with little pride about their own country.  Hell, if anything, I see plenty of pride in their own country.  Look at Pacquiao, Yao Ming, and the countless Latin baseball players who succeeded here.  Their countrymen people adore and idolize their heroes and pride of their countries, and then dream that they could hope for the same thing if they can make it to the US.  I know, because I walked and shared meals among them.  Despite the negative things that the US is doing across the world, it hardly affects their desire to live the American life.

As for your brother, well, his circumstances are different.  He isn't chasing the Canadian dream, because he doesn't have to.  BTW, plenty of Chinese and Filipinos are proudly claiming Canadian citizenship.  So much, that native Canadians are considering stricter quotas.

Turquoise wrote:

Well said.
Like I said poor people want to go to richer countries to put food on the table and they don't give a shit about politics or principles. I'm talking about the collective opinion of the world here, as survey upon survey reports. I'm not talking solely about the nations that suffer from massive emigration problems due to low standards of living. I've been to Panama a few times as I used to date a Panamanian girl and they did have a pro-US outlook - basically because they didn't give a fuck what the US did militarily or politically speaking as long as it didn't affect them to their detriment. If you really think that, on balance, the US doesn't have an image problem across large parts of the world then we are going to have to agree to disagree. Thousands of people don't march across burning American flags for no reason you know. Things like this don't happen for no reason:

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3353/3493930864_513cb96cef.jpg?v=0

I mean why would someone have the energy to be bothered participating in something so pointless - they obviously felt very strongly about US actions, along with the millions of others who marched through London in this instance. Why would a journalist feel compelled to throw his bloody shoes at your president?

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-06-02 14:23:41)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

CameronPoe wrote:

Like I said poor people want to go to richer countries to put food on the table and they don't give a shit about politics or principles. I'm talking about the collective opinion of the world here, as survey upon survey reports. I'm not talking solely about the nations that suffer from massive emigration problems due to low standards of living. I've been to Panama a few times as I used to date a Panamanian girl and they did have a pro-US outlook - basically because they didn't give a fuck what the US did militarily or politically speaking as long as it didn't affect them to their detriment. If you really think that, on balance, the US doesn't have an image problem across large parts of the world then we are going to have to agree to disagree. Thousands of people don't march across burning American flags for no reason you know. Things like this don't happen for no reason:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3353/349 … ef.jpg?v=0

I mean why would someone have the energy to be bothered participating in something so pointless - they obviously felt very strongly about US actions, along with the millions of others who marched.
Like I said, what you see is the media who doesn't report on the "good thoughts" and the vocal minority.  The vast majority don't give a fuck (as you so put it ) about the US military or politics.

BTW, millions marching is still not the majority thought.

I know of a strip club with folks protesting in front.  But most people in the neighborhood aren't bothered by the club.

Last edited by Ilocano (2009-06-02 14:28:35)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard