11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5411|Cleveland, Ohio
google images
13/f/taiwan
+940|5872
oh my god. it's like lowing and jaekus switched spots in this thread.
11 Bravo
Banned
im gonna tell my pilots tomorrow to go fly thru thunderstorms since its ok.

oh and whats funny is if your radar is not working you cannot even fly near forecasted convective activity let alone actual activity.  meh ill just tell them to ignore that also.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5352|Sydney
I don't think that's a sensible idea, 11B.
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6917|Reality
now now children

i wonder if the pilots set the autopilot and went to sleep like their American brothers did a few years ago (North West i believe). I do not believe the Airbus has automatic weather avoidance but as has been said it does have radar to help them fly around/over the storms. (My brother is captain on A320s so i will ask him). However you can't avoid storms if you are asleep.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
11 Bravo
Banned

Stubbee wrote:

now now children

i wonder if the pilots set the autopilot and went to sleep like their American brothers did a few years ago (North West i believe). I do not believe the Airbus has automatic weather avoidance but as has been said it does have radar to help them fly around/over the storms. (My brother is captain on A320s so i will ask him). However you can't avoid storms if you are asleep.
i doubt they were sleeping since it was not that long into the flight.  and no there is no auto wx avoidance
11 Bravo
Banned
actually when it gets really bad the computer runs and hides
13/f/taiwan
+940|5872
marine have you ever flown those big planes?
11 Bravo
Banned

13/f/taiwan wrote:

marine have you ever flown those big planes?
nope.  no more than those 50 passenger regional jets.  however my job requires me by law to fly in the flight deck every year for a certain amount of time.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5872
i really want to fly those big planes. does it require much training?
11 Bravo
Banned
dont troll me

go ask Ioan

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2011-02-18 16:15:32)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6279|eXtreme to the maX

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Depends, if you only want to learn how to take off but not land its not too much.
Ask for that program when you sign up.
Fuck Israel
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6825|USA

Stubbee wrote:

now now children

dont bother, it would appear by his silence and absence that jake did some googling and found out he is dead wrong.
That, or he is off looking up the "definition" of thunderstorm, for his next insult.

Last edited by lowing (2011-02-18 16:41:44)

11 Bravo
Banned

Dilbert_X wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Depends, if you only want to learn how to take off but not land its not too much.
Ask for that program when you sign up.
you know i actually know the guy who turned that guy in...our simulator is in the same building.

Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
13/f/taiwan
+940|5872
nah i'm not trolling. it's on my super bucket list(things i want to do but probably won't be able to afford).
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6825|USA

13/f/taiwan wrote:

nah i'm not trolling. it's on my super bucket list(things i want to do but probably won't be able to afford).
look up a local simulator a lot of times you can buy time in one. Level D simulators are so realistic they can be logged as actual flight time.

I was a run up and taxi instructor at my old job, got a lot of sim time and yes if the pilots ate the fish, I could land it

Last edited by lowing (2011-02-18 16:30:17)

11 Bravo
Banned

13/f/taiwan wrote:

its expensive for sure....and the industry is so fucked up its pretty much not worth it.  but, if its something you want to do then just do it.  ive worked one job outside of aviation and it sucked.  i mean the job was fine but i was miserable not being in aviation.

edit:  i just paid off all the credit cards i used to live on while in flight school.....and that was 11 years ago

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2011-02-18 16:32:57)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6825|USA

11 Bravo wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

its expensive for sure....and the industry is so fucked up its pretty much not worth it.  but, if its something you want to do then just do it.  ive worked one job outside of aviation and it sucked.  i mean the job was fine but i was miserable not being in aviation.

edit:  i just paid off all the credit cards i used to live on while in flight school.....and that was 11 years ago
cant believe how much a private pilot license is now. I spent 3200.00 for mine in '93. Now it is close to 10 grand
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6711|Long Island, New York
i could've gotten mine for around $1500 + books and random materials, until health problems arose. BOCES ftw
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6825|USA

Jaekus wrote:

No, it was a thunderstorm.
http://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/libv … +Avoidance

General Rules
For any flight that is even potentially near actual or possible thunderstorm activity, pilots should observe the following rules:
Avoid all thunderstorms.
Never go closer than five miles to any visible storm cloud with overhanging areas, and strongly consider increasing that distance to 20 miles or more. You can encounter hail and violent turbulence anywhere within 20 miles of very strong thunderstorms.
Do not attempt flight beneath thunderstorms, even when visibility is good, because of the destructive potential of shear turbulence in these areas.
At the first sign of turbulence, reduce airspeed immediately to the manufacturer's recommended airspeed for turbulent air penetration for a specific gross weight (i.e., maneuvering speed, or Va).
If there is an inadvertent penetration of the thunderstorm, maintain a straight and level altitude on a heading that will take you through the storm area in the minimum time.
Never let compulsion take the place of good judgment.

you did not fly into "several thunderstorms"

anyway, just thought I would add some salt to the wound.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6825|USA

Poseidon wrote:

i could've gotten mine for around $1500 + books and random materials, until health problems arose. BOCES ftw
truly sorry to hear that... Flying is a great joy, I really need to find time and money to get back into it.
11 Bravo
Banned

lowing wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

General Rules
For any flight that is even potentially near actual or possible thunderstorm activity, pilots should observe the following rules:
Avoid all thunderstorms.
Never go closer than five miles to any visible storm cloud with overhanging areas, and strongly consider increasing that distance to 20 miles or more. You can encounter hail and violent turbulence anywhere within 20 miles of very strong thunderstorms.
Do not attempt flight beneath thunderstorms, even when visibility is good, because of the destructive potential of shear turbulence in these areas.
At the first sign of turbulence, reduce airspeed immediately to the manufacturer's recommended airspeed for turbulent air penetration for a specific gross weight (i.e., maneuvering speed, or Va).
If there is an inadvertent penetration of the thunderstorm, maintain a straight and level altitude on a heading that will take you through the storm area in the minimum time.

i got boxed in one time and barely made it out.....and jake is just trolling so it would appear
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6825|USA

11 Bravo wrote:

lowing wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

General Rules
Avoid all thunderstorms.

i got boxed in one time and barely made it out.....and jake is just trolling so it would appear
I am just a private pilot, so I never went up when storms were around. However the worst that did happen to me ( other than getting lost on my long cross country) was taking off in haze. I was fine until  my return leg into the sun. Was like turning on high beams in fog.. I was definitely below VFR minimums for 3 mile vis. and could really only see the ground just in front and below me, had to do flight following until I could see the airport( a local non controlled field)
Scared me pretty good
11 Bravo
Banned
well that was the good thing about training in florida.

hey look...disneyworld...wow...

look up...oh fuck where did this shit come from.

makes you understand and respect that shit very early in your career.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5352|Sydney
What sorts of planes do you fly 11B?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard