FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6590|so randum

BBC wrote:

An Air France plane carrying 228 people from Brazil to France has vanished over the Atlantic after flying into turbulence, airline officials say.

The Airbus sent an automatic message at 0214 GMT, four hours after leaving Rio de Janeiro, reporting a short circuit. It may have been damaged by lightning.

It was well over the ocean when it was lost, making Brazilian and French search planes' task more difficult.

France's president said the chances of finding survivors were "very small".
https://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45853000/jpg/_45853758_007423654-1.jpg

Flight AF 447 left Rio at 1900 local time (2200 GMT) on Sunday. It had 216 passengers and 12 crew on board, including three pilots. The passengers included one infant, seven children, 82 women and 126 men.

Some 60 Brazilians are said to have been aboard. Other passengers included between 40 and 60 French people, and at least 20 Germans, the French government said.

Six Danes, five Italians, three Moroccans and two Libyans are also believed to have been aboard, while the UK fears that some of its citizens were also passengers.
https://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45852000/gif/_45852693_plane_crash2_466.gif

It was an Airbus 330-200, what are they're (and Air France's) safety record?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
ghettoperson
+1,943|6740

TBF Ted, your thread is a lot better than the one in EE
tahadar
Sniper!!
+183|6829|Pakistan/England
the a330 had a really good safety record, news article says only prior fatal accident occured when the plane was being flight tested 15 yrs ago. air france also has a good safety record. they had an a340 crash on landing in canada in 05, the sucker burnt to the ground pretty fast but there were zero fatalities as everyone left the plane within 90 seconds (more to do with crew/flight attendant training than anything else i would say!)
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6505|Finland

I find it odd that the automated electrical fault message went off 15 mins after the plane disappeared off the radar.

My bets are on the fact something exploded in the plane, it sank to ocean which triggered the electrical fault signal.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-06-01 10:48:28)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6852

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

I find it odd that the automated electrical fault message went off 15 mins after the plane disappeared off the radar.

My bets are on the fact something exploded in the plane, it sank to ocean which triggered the electrical fault signal.
it wouldnt send a message if it was sinking dude.  thats sent thru satcom.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6505|Finland

usmarine wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

it wouldnt send a message if it was sinking dude.  thats sent thru satcom.
What if a piece of the plane floated a while before it sank?
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6852

on the airbus it would only send a message if the electrical system was working.  electrical fault message can mean anything.  the plane has hundreds of electrical components.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6505|Finland

But what happened in the 15 minutes then?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6590|so randum
im guessing

electrical fault - sends the signal

electrics cut out, manual overrides

due to the turbulence, pilot loses it and trys for a water landing

breaks up on impact.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6852

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

But what happened in the 15 minutes then?
i dunno.  you can get from 41,000ft down to the ground in 10 minutes in an emergency (did it in the simulator a few times)
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6505|Finland

It must have been major failure of somekind if it took out all communication equipment, even backups, all at once.

If it was simple electronics failure in one system, the pilots would have had plenty of time to at least radio the situation. Aren't the planes full of backups for that kind of situations anyway? Like this is 21st century, its not like they haven't thought about a possibility of electronics fail.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6755|NT, like Mick Dundee

My 2nd cousin helps build Airbus engines. He's a machinist at one of their plants.

RIP to the survivors. Hopefully the S&R teams can at least recover the bodies, so the families can have the benefit of proper funerals to help with their grief.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6740

To the karma person that called me a brown tongued bastard, you're damn right I am. My tongue is so far up Ted's ass that I'm polishing the back of his eyeballs.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6852

lewl
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6590|so randum
feels good too.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6742|USA
"If its not BOEING, I'm not GOING"

I am curious how anyone knows the airplane hit severe turbulance when;

1. The pilots did not report it

2. The airplane has no reporting system for it.

I think this is a bunch of "experts" trying to get their 15 minutes speculating  on complete unknowns.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6590|so randum
Im guessing they assumed according to the planes known position, altitude and current weather conditions in the area.

thats just an assumption though.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6742|USA

FatherTed wrote:

Im guessing they assumed according to the planes known position, altitude and current weather conditions in the area.

It is not right for them to project fact on assumptions.....and if they have the planes known position, they would have found something by now.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6755|NT, like Mick Dundee

lowing wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

It is not right for them to project fact on assumptions.....and if they have the planes known position, they would have found something by now.
I'd say they'd be guessing about the plane's position really. Given the transponder dropped out they probably had a projected route for the plane to take and that route probably had turbulence-inducing conditions along it.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Racoon_Flyer
+10|6025|Cambridge, UK
As far as I know they did report Turbulence.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6688|Seattle

Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6852

terrorists......baptist terrorists
Ioan92
+337|5813

lowing wrote:

Oh for fuck sake. I hope you're joking.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6852

Ioan92 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Oh for fuck sake. I hope you're joking.
i aint joking.  i hate scarebusses
Ioan92
+337|5813
You realize its like saying "I'm choosing a Corvette because I'm scared to ride in a Mercedes."

Those Airbus vs Boeing arguments are plain stupid and pointless. There all planes, they all fly, they all crash, same shit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard