Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6689
My phone was in my pocket and was completely submerged as my two friends and I pulled the canoe and what belongings we could grab before floating away to shore. Upon reaching the shore we gathered out bearings and did a rescue mission in which we salvaged 4 Nutragrain bars, 2 bottles of Gatorade, 2 yogurt cups, a handball, and a bottle of sunscreen. One friend got pissed so he walked all the way back to the dock. Me and the other friend paddled back. Now I am home, showered and changed, my money, wallet, various cards, and phone are laying out to dry.

What is proper protocol to salvage my phone? I have already removed the battery and sim card and blown everything with compressed air. Don't worry, I didn't turn it on.

https://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3403/shipwreck.jpg
X marks the spot we went over. The yellow line is our path to shore.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2009-05-30 13:00:03)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6534|Long Island, New York
Put it in rice tbh

Srs
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6689

Poseidon wrote:

Put it in rice tbh

Srs
Would lentils work?
SamBo:D
Banned
+236|5494|England
Don't leave it in your pocket when going canoeing

Get a dry bag
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6689

SamBo:D wrote:

Don't leave it in your pocket when going canoeing

Get a dry bag
I've learned my lesson. What do you expect from a city slicker like me?

Last edited by Superior Mind (2009-05-30 13:01:45)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6534|Long Island, New York

Superior Mind wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Put it in rice tbh

Srs
Would lentils work?
I don't know, I just know that putting it in white rice will help extract the water

there's something with isopropyl alcohol too but I don't remember

do some googling, you'll find plenty of remedies
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6286|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

damn, thought you were in the gowanus canal

https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6776|Great Brown North
so how did you flip it
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6689

krazed wrote:

so how did you flip it
The wake of a big boat hit us and we just went over.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Microwave for 5 minutes, dryer for twenty minutes, and bake @ 325 till golden brown.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6689

Kmarion wrote:

Microwave for 5 minutes, dryer for twenty minutes, and bake @ 325 till golden brown.
Oh, you.

cowami wrote:

damn, thought you were in the gowanus canal

Fuck that nasty canal. It's bay or nothing.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2009-05-30 13:40:20)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

It all looks nasty
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6269
rice.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6689

Kmarion wrote:

It all looks nasty
That's because it all is. That bay is just less gross than that canal.
tupla_s
+455|6589|Finland
Open the case if possible and get all the water out you can, then let it dry in a warm place (On top of radiator or something)
Speaking of experience

Had to dry 2 phones and 1 is still somewhere in the middle of a lake. Won't be taking my phone along for fishing trips anymore.

Last edited by tupla_s (2009-05-30 13:58:59)

Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6470|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Pick the phone completely in pieces. If you're good with electronics, screw loose what components you can. Get isopropanol and wipe all components with a clean rag dipped in the alcohol. This could save the phone depending on how badly it took damage. If the phone was turned off, you have a very good chance to save it. I also recommend a new battery. Used to sell phones and fixed a handfull of phones with isopropanol for happy customers. Even one that had fallen in a bucket full of icy fish. Goddamn the stench
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6450|USA
idk but i bet the phone could b fixed
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6404|Somersetshire
city folk eh
think they're god almighty

us yokels would never have done something so silly (not use a dry bag I mean, canoeing is fun, sailing is better)

Surely when planning to go canoeing the "how do I protect my electronic equipment" was one of those slap-in-the-face-moments that sensible, intellectual people think about when water is involved.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6637|Your moms bedroom
heh, last weekend we were out bass fishing and the wind picked up something fierce. we ended up beaching our canoe 1/4 mile from our camp. the wind had picked up so strong we couldnt make headspeed. After about an hour and 8 beers we portatged 1/8th of mile shoreline and paddled our way the rest when it was a straight shot. Stupid fuckin wind, ruined a great day of fishing. BTW what kind of asshole purposely swamps a fucking canoe with their wake... thats fucking unacceptable imo and if I were in a boat that accidently did it I would go back and help get everthing straight. I mean, what if they swamped you and someone in your boat fucking drowned....

also, i put my phone in a ziplock bag in my tacklebox....

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard