AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6172|what

lowing wrote:

Flecco wrote:

lowing wrote:

Such as it is for the victors of ALL wars THROUGHTOUT HISTORY, by EVERY country.
Doesn't make the firebombing of Dresden right though.
nope, don't recall the media outrage either.
Because you were not there in 1945 to witness it perhaps?

The destruction of the city provoked unease in intellectual circles in Britain. According to Max Hastings, by February 1945, attacks upon German cities had become largely irrelevant to the outcome of the war and the name of Dresden resonated with cultured people all over Europe — "the home of so much charm and beauty, a refuge for Trollope’s heroines, a landmark of the Grand Tour." He writes that the bombing was the first time the public in Allied countries seriously questioned the military actions used to defeat the Nazis.[100]

The unease was made worse by an Associated Press story that the Allies had resorted to terror bombing. At a press briefing held by the Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force two days after the raids, British Air Commodore Colin McKay Grierson told journalists:

First of all they [Dresden and similar towns] are the centres to which evacuees are being moved. They are centres of communications through which traffic is moving across to the Russian Front, and from the Western Front to the East, and they are sufficiently close to the Russian Front for the Russians to continue the successful prosecution of their battle. I think these three reasons probably cover the bombing.

One of the journalists asked whether the principal aim of bombing of Dresden would be to cause confusion among the refugees or to blast communications carrying military supplies. Grierson answered that the primary aim was communications to prevent them moving military supplies, and to stop movement in all directions if possible. He then added in an offhand remark that the raid also helped destroying "what is left of German morale." Howard Cowan, an Associated Press war correspondent, subsequently filed a story saying that the Allies had resorted to terror bombing. There were follow-up newspaper editorials on the issue and a long time opponent of strategic bombing, Richard Stokes MP, asked questions in the House of Commons on 6 March.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dresden#British

Last edited by AussieReaper (2009-05-28 05:56:27)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6684|NT, like Mick Dundee

lowing wrote:

Flecco wrote:

lowing wrote:

Such as it is for the victors of ALL wars THROUGHTOUT HISTORY, by EVERY country.
Media outrage doesn't define right and wrong.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5605

What defines right and wrong?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6520|so randum
jesus don't take this to some higher level of thinking, this is just clearly wrong.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|6000|Toronto

imortal wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

And there is a whole lot more which wasn't photographed.
And this is an unprovable, unquantifiable assumtion, that you take as pure fact.  I have no doubt there were other instances than the ones caught on camera, but I do not think it to be as prevailant as you hint at and assume.  And, having been there, I actually take it as a personal insult to the honor and integrity of me, the units I was with, and my fellow veterens.  It is due to remarks like this (and others you have made for the last few months) why I no longer take any argument from you seriously, and I put you in the same catagory as rammunition. This is just the one that ticked me off for the last time.

On topic (and now ignoring obvious prejudice of others here) these are despicable acts, and it will be most humorous when the vidoes are used to convict these sickos.  Nobody claimed these folks were angels, but it would be interesting to know if these were from regular army, army reserve, or national guard units.  Having been both national guard and active duty, I have noted the differences in discipline.  Reserve and guard units can have members whose... habits may go without notice, since they are actually not with their units in civilian life most of the time.  Habits that may have been noticed in active duty units. 

There have been lots of lapses in active military units over the years as well.  Whether it was neo-natzis proliferating in the 82nd at Fort Bragg or the Crips and Bloods dominating the units at Fort Lewis, there have always been discipline issues in the military in any unit.  This does not make them authorized, or mean that the illegal activities they may conduct are condoned.  The important part is that justice is sought under the UCMJ when these violations present themselves.  This must be done to show the service, the american public, and yes, the media, that while the military is not full of saints, that they are able to police themselves and hold the service in the regard it is due, and not treated like the scum they are often portrayed as.
You can take it as a personal insult...in fact, I'd wish you would. Why? Because the people who perpetrated these acts are representatives of themselves, their unit, the Army, and the United States as a whole. It only takes one to ruin the reputation of a group. If you value your principles and personal integrity, you'll have a look at the armed forces; you'll see how it is a hotbed of hypocrisy. If it were really able to police itself, these flagrant violations everything the armies and people stand for, or at least claim to do.

I won't tell you about what happened in Uzbekistan, because I don't want to offend you. I see US flags on soldiers, I see a lack of principles and humanity. I'm sorry, but America has lost any esteem in mine and many others' eyes.
I like pie.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6787
If the pics exist then I would like to see the perps tried but the pics suppressed until the war is over. Releasing the pics will only stir up the hornets nest again.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6647|IRELAND

lowing wrote:

So how violent was your rioting when people were getting there heads sawed off, or hung from a bridge and set on fire?

Yours and all the others inconsistent and selective outrage would be quite amusing if it were not so ridiculously tragic..
Part of the USA/UK's excuse for going into Iraqi was to "Free the people from Tyranny" When you then inflict Tyranny yourself then you loose your moral high ground and excuses. 

Because a US solder is killed, its OK to torture and humiliate people who haven't been tried or convicted of any crime? Think that's the angle your getting at in the usual lowing round about way. "Eye for an Eye" etc.

No point in being the Knight on the white horse charging to Iraqis rescue, then letting your horse take a shit on them so you can take photos of it for your amusement.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6172|what

BN wrote:

If the pics exist then I would like to see the perps tried but the pics suppressed until the war is over. Releasing the pics will only stir up the hornets nest again.
How can you win a war on terrorism?

It doesn't end. One side is not going to surrender. One side is not going to claim victory and cease fighting terrorism or cease fighting US imperialism as "freedom fighters".
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6125|eXtreme to the maX

imortal wrote:

And this is an unprovable, unquantifiable assumtion, that you take as pure fact.  I have no doubt there were other instances than the ones caught on camera, but I do not think it to be as prevailant as you hint at and assume.
Not sure what point you're making, there have been many more allegations other than those backed up by photos.
And, having been there, I actually take it as a personal insult to the honor and integrity of me, the units I was with, and my fellow veterens.
Bad luck then, your fellow veterans have brought shame on you, your units and your fellow veterans.
The important part is that justice is sought under the UCMJ when these violations present themselves.  This must be done to show the service, the american public, and yes, the media, that while the military is not full of saints, that they are able to police themselves and hold the service in the regard it is due, and not treated like the scum they are often portrayed as.
Except typically they don't Police themselves, unless its brought to public attention. Thats the problem, and why the US military is held in low esteem.

As for it being condoned, its crystal clear what went on at Abu Ghraib was condoned at a fairly high level.
And we only know of the softening up process - because they were dumb enough to take photos - nothing of the actual interrogations which in multiple cases lead to deaths.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-05-28 07:05:19)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6671|USA

Flecco wrote:

lowing wrote:

Flecco wrote:

really? since when in regards to warfare?
Flecco
iPod is broken.

lowing wrote:

Flecco wrote:

lowing wrote:

Bah. You should go to Saudi, they'd like you there.

Since day one. Since one monkey picked up a rock and dashed the others brain out. War itself is wrong, but sometimes an unavoidable and necessary tool for a nation. Killing is wrong. Rape is wrong. If war has to happen, fine. Let the soldiers get it done, killing things and breaking stuff is what they are employed to do. If soldiers do something wrong though they should be investigated. Soldiers should not get away with rape just because they are in a warzone. Soldiers should not get away with the shooting of civillians on the ground. Unfortunately this happens, so the incidents should be investigated to either clear the names of, or prove the guilt of the soldiers involved so they can be punished for their transgressions.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6787

AussieReaper wrote:

BN wrote:

How can you win a war on terrorism?
You cant.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6425|North Carolina

TSI wrote:

imortal wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

And there is a whole lot more which wasn't photographed.
And this is an unprovable, unquantifiable assumtion, that you take as pure fact.  I have no doubt there were other instances than the ones caught on camera, but I do not think it to be as prevailant as you hint at and assume.  And, having been there, I actually take it as a personal insult to the honor and integrity of me, the units I was with, and my fellow veterens.  It is due to remarks like this (and others you have made for the last few months) why I no longer take any argument from you seriously, and I put you in the same catagory as rammunition. This is just the one that ticked me off for the last time.

On topic (and now ignoring obvious prejudice of others here) these are despicable acts, and it will be most humorous when the vidoes are used to convict these sickos.  Nobody claimed these folks were angels, but it would be interesting to know if these were from regular army, army reserve, or national guard units.  Having been both national guard and active duty, I have noted the differences in discipline.  Reserve and guard units can have members whose... habits may go without notice, since they are actually not with their units in civilian life most of the time.  Habits that may have been noticed in active duty units. 

There have been lots of lapses in active military units over the years as well.  Whether it was neo-natzis proliferating in the 82nd at Fort Bragg or the Crips and Bloods dominating the units at Fort Lewis, there have always been discipline issues in the military in any unit.  This does not make them authorized, or mean that the illegal activities they may conduct are condoned.  The important part is that justice is sought under the UCMJ when these violations present themselves.  This must be done to show the service, the american public, and yes, the media, that while the military is not full of saints, that they are able to police themselves and hold the service in the regard it is due, and not treated like the scum they are often portrayed as.
You can take it as a personal insult...in fact, I'd wish you would. Why? Because the people who perpetrated these acts are representatives of themselves, their unit, the Army, and the United States as a whole. It only takes one to ruin the reputation of a group. If you value your principles and personal integrity, you'll have a look at the armed forces; you'll see how it is a hotbed of hypocrisy. If it were really able to police itself, these flagrant violations everything the armies and people stand for, or at least claim to do.

I won't tell you about what happened in Uzbekistan, because I don't want to offend you. I see US flags on soldiers, I see a lack of principles and humanity. I'm sorry, but America has lost any esteem in mine and many others' eyes.
By the same logic, normal Muslims should take it personally when fanatical Muslims implement terror attacks.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6671|USA

Flecco wrote:

lowing wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Since day one. Since one monkey picked up a rock and dashed the others brain out. War itself is wrong, but sometimes an unavoidable and necessary tool for a nation. Killing is wrong. Rape is wrong. If war has to happen, fine. Let the soldiers get it done, killing things and breaking stuff is what they are employed to do. If soldiers do something wrong though they should be investigated. Soldiers should not get away with rape just because they are in a warzone. Soldiers should not get away with the shooting of civillians on the ground. Unfortunately this happens, so the incidents should be investigated to either clear the names of, or prove the guilt of the soldiers involved so they can be punished for their transgressions.
yeah "war never did anything except end slavery, genicide, fascism, nazism,communism, baathism"   <----bumpersticker I saw once.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6671|USA

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Because you were not there in 1945 to witness it perhaps?

The destruction of the city provoked unease in intellectual circles in Britain. According to Max Hastings, by February 1945, attacks upon German cities had become largely irrelevant to the outcome of the war and the name of Dresden resonated with cultured people all over Europe — "the home of so much charm and beauty, a refuge for Trollope’s heroines, a landmark of the Grand Tour." He writes that the bombing was the first time the public in Allied countries seriously questioned the military actions used to defeat the Nazis.[100]

The unease was made worse by an Associated Press story that the Allies had resorted to terror bombing. At a press briefing held by the Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force two days after the raids, British Air Commodore Colin McKay Grierson told journalists:

First of all they [Dresden and similar towns] are the centres to which evacuees are being moved. They are centres of communications through which traffic is moving across to the Russian Front, and from the Western Front to the East, and they are sufficiently close to the Russian Front for the Russians to continue the successful prosecution of their battle. I think these three reasons probably cover the bombing.

One of the journalists asked whether the principal aim of bombing of Dresden would be to cause confusion among the refugees or to blast communications carrying military supplies. Grierson answered that the primary aim was communications to prevent them moving military supplies, and to stop movement in all directions if possible. He then added in an offhand remark that the raid also helped destroying "what is left of German morale." Howard Cowan, an Associated Press war correspondent, subsequently filed a story saying that the Allies had resorted to terror bombing. There were follow-up newspaper editorials on the issue and a long time opponent of strategic bombing, Richard Stokes MP, asked questions in the House of Commons on 6 March.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dresden#British
are you really really gunna compare this to the media coverage of Vietnam, and the war on terror?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6172|what

lowing wrote:

Flecco wrote:

lowing wrote:

yeah "war never did anything except end slavery, genicide, fascism, nazism,communism, baathism"   <----bumpersticker I saw once.
War hasn't ended genocide. Or Communism...
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6671|USA

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

Flecco wrote:

In the place it was fought it has. If you wanna say that you might wanna add that war didn't end slavery either, EXCEPT where it was fought against.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5605

White House, Pentagon deny British newspaper's report on torture photos
The White House and Pentagon Thursday both denied a British newspaper's report saying that alleged photographs of abuse at Iraqi prisons include images of rape and sexual assault.

"None of the photographs in question depict the images described in the article," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said at a press briefing of a Daily Telegraph story claiming to describe graphic photographs and accounts of rapes and other abuses of prisoners at the notorious Abu Ghraib jail outside Baghdad.
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009- … 451163.htm

Don't ask me how I'm getting news articles from China. Anyway if anyone cares.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6671|USA

Macbeth wrote:

The White House and Pentagon Thursday both denied a British newspaper's report saying that alleged photographs of abuse at Iraqi prisons include images of rape and sexual assault.

"None of the photographs in question depict the images described in the article," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said at a press briefing of a Daily Telegraph story claiming to describe graphic photographs and accounts of rapes and other abuses of prisoners at the notorious Abu Ghraib jail outside Baghdad.

So we are back to my orginal observation, no evidence equals proof in order to form opinions about WMD's, and niether proof or evidence is needed to form opinions about Abu Ghraib, whatever, as long as it is against Bush. Love the inconsistancy regarding fact gathering
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6651|949

Well it the newspaper directly quotes the ex-Army officer so unless the guy was misquoted I don't think the White House should have a bone to pick with the Daily Telegraph.  Couldn't they just deny Gen Taguba's statements?  Or have Gen Taguba qualify/redact his statements?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6781

lol....yes.  havent seen the pics yet we make our judgement.  lol.  idiots.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No harm in releasing the photos then.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6781

Dilbert_X wrote:

No harm in releasing the photos then.
ok?  where did i argue that?  i dont give a fuck what they do with them tbh.  i have more important things in my life to worry about then some stupid ass photos.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Didn't say you did, I was referring to
Flecco
iPod is broken.

lowing wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

So we are back to my orginal observation, no evidence equals proof in order to form opinions about WMD's, and niether proof or evidence is needed to form opinions about Abu Ghraib, whatever, as long as it is against Bush. Love the inconsistancy regarding fact gathering
K. Fair enough. If it didn't happen then there's no problem.

lowing wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

In the place it was fought it has. If you wanna say that you might wanna add that war didn't end slavery either, EXCEPT where it was fought against.
Lel Vietnam. Also, war can't end an idea. You can't shoot an idea. Neo-nazis are still around, just not in power.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard