King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6598|Seattle

So I just got a rebuilt transmission installed yesterday.

Here's the story,

I found a guy on craigslist who had a rebuilt 4l60e for $750, plus $150 for the torque converter, plus $350 to install. Total $1350. Everyone else was around $2000.
I go to this guy's house, not a real store mind you, but he's got a full on shop with a lift and all the tools and a bad ass Toyota truggy out front so I'm thinkin', "ok, at least he knows what he's doing"... I talk to the guy and it turns out he was a mechanic for 25 years and decided to branch off and work for himself. I can dig that. I probably would too. He assured me that he did the full rebuild kit on the 4l60e, new seals, gaskets, etc. etc. etc.

Cool.

So I called the guy half-way through the install yesterday to see how it's going and he tells me "yep, your torque converter was shot...It'll be done and ready for you to pick up tonight as planned, no problem".

I go there, pick it up, drive it around and it feels great. Pay the man and leave.
Drove it home about 30 miles, felt different and wasn't doing the "waaaaa uhhhhhhh waaaaa..." thing it always did, so I thought I was good. I get off the freeway and it slam shifts from first to second just like it did before.

Fuck!

I'm now thinking this guy just replaced my torque converter but put my old tranny back in it, keeping his rebuilt tranny for some other sucker.
I mean, what are the chances this rebuilt tranny would do the same exact fucking thing my old one did? Could it just be a solenoid or some shit telling my pump to stay closed loop and maxing out the pressure through the lines?

So when I take the day off work tomorrow to go deal with this shit, I'm going to make him take apart both transmissions so I can see the insides. At this point, I don't trust his work and demand to see proof of this rebuild.

So what should I be looking for to know for sure this guy actually did the work he said he did? I figure it should be pretty obvious with the new gaskets n shit, no? Comparing the newly rebuilt one and my old one....

I will stab him right then and there if he fucked me. I kid you not.

I just found out that my intake manifold gasket that I paid $900 fucking dollars to replace is now leaking again. I'll deal with that asshole next week.

I don't have money for this shit. I just went through my gf's entire savings trying to fix my truck. She's going to kill me.

/rant
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6765|d
well that sucks.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
Never trust mechanics... even if they're family.

I guess the parts will look cleaner if it is the newly built transmission. I don't know what else to look for.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2009-05-27 08:52:03)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Just look for wear on the cogs, it should be pretty obvious with an old and a new next to each other.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

Thing is KCD you paid him for a service not just the goods. If there's still a problem then he hasn't done what you paid him to do, plain and simple.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6531|Boston, MA

Superior Mind wrote:

Never trust mechanics... even if they're family.

I guess the parts will look cleaner if it is the newly built transmission. I don't know what else to look for.

Heh, I got kind of lucky and fun a good fairly cheap mechanic in the neighborhood. I went to one that was at his house too but he started to get lazy and was starting to overcharge shit. So I went to another mechanic who is an actual garage and does a good job for pretty cheap. I got a tun up on my car for $200 where the parts cost ~$155. It's a 95 Caprice so some of the parts, mainly the spark plugs, are in retarded spots.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6598|Seattle

Ty wrote:

Thing is KCD you paid him for a service not just the goods. If there's still a problem then he hasn't done what you paid him to do, plain and simple.
And that's exactly why he's getting stabbed if he tried to rip me off. I'll be watching him work this time around. He said he garauntees his work for 1 year or 36,000 miles so this will be free or he will bleed.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6579|Columbus, OH
Going for the lowest bid is sometimes bad as going for the highest bid.

Good Luck, hopefully you get your car running.
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6531|Boston, MA
Well that shouldn't be the case if he advertised $350 for install...
13/f/taiwan
+940|5700
What are you going to stab him with?
Rod Foxx
Warblgarbl
+78|5985|Perth, Australia
I've got a few ideas...

https://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr241/Hogulous/pe00658822.png
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6686|United States of America
Here
https://www.randi.org/site/images/stories/swift/fork.jpg
You can use this as an eye poker.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6598|Seattle

Well, he had to order a new Sun kit or some shit for it. He gave me a loaner car to use until his parts arrive. Should be done tonight. I'm fairly relieved I didn't have to stab him.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
I'd stab him anyway, just to be safe.
Scratch[USA]
+105|6548
You should shank him prison style. 
Giving you a loaner is sweet
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6598|Seattle

Did anyone know that a Thunderbird can go over 50mph backwards? It's pretty fun, I highly recommend trying it. I love loaner cars
Scratch[USA]
+105|6548
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

Should have went to a dealership since they are backed and will try to work it out with you otherwise enjoy your stabbin
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6475|6 6 4 oh, I forget

King_County_Downy wrote:

Could it just be a solenoid or some shit telling my pump to stay closed loop and maxing out the pressure through the lines?
https://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5395/tcruise.jpg

<3
too_money2007
+145|6309|Keller, Tx
God, War of the Worlds was HORRIBLE!

sorry, off topic, I know.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6629|IRELAND

bring a mechanic with you to watch this guy work. Even if you have to chuck him $100 it would be worth it. He will be able to spot if hes fucking you around.

On the other hand if other things are going wrong too, id say patch the car up and ditch it.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6598|Seattle

I prefer a good old fashioned stabbin'.

"Oh look, you're bleeding out your back, dick!"

Just kidding. I think it'll turn out fine. I watched him take it apart yesterday. He's not fucking me as far as I know. It just needed a different rebuild kit than the one he put in it.... for a different part of the transmission that is. Gears and valves require two different rebuild kits.
Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon

King_County_Downy wrote:

So I called the guy half-way through the install yesterday to see how it's going and he tells me "yep, your torque converter was shot...It'll be done and ready for you to pick up tonight as planned, no problem"
a bad torque converter doesn't cause harsh shifting unless a TCC malfunction was causing the PCM to go into limp-in mode.  did this guy scan for codes?  was the PRNDL switch replaced or transferred to the rebuilt unit?  he may have simply used an incorrect rebuild kit, it's just strange that you experiencing the exact same symptom.  is the hard shift only the 1-2? does the trans shift into 4th? 

I just found out that my intake manifold gasket that I paid $900 fucking dollars to replace is now leaking again. I'll deal with that asshole next week.
$900? damn that's a lot for an intake reseal.  did they resurface the manifold?  if it's warped, which is common on the GMs, it'll leak no matter what they replace.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6329

King_County_Downy wrote:

I found a guy on craigslist who had a rebuilt 4l60e for $750
So he had this rebuilt one ready to drop into ur truck? Or do you mean he rebuilt the one you had? If he had a whole 'nuther one he supposedly put into your truck, usually on such major parts like that, you'll find a part number, that is specific to your engine (The numbers stamped on the engine should match the number on the tranny, or have some similar numerical order to it)

I'd say call any major dealer that services your vehicle, and ask them about what I said above, and ask them how to locate these numbers.

Edit: n/m looks like the problem has been solved! Hopefully he didn't charge you for his mistake lol. What kinda truck you got btw?

Last edited by Im_Dooomed (2009-05-28 22:32:16)

Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard