Poll

Execute the man?

Yes29%29% - 12
No70%70% - 29
Total: 41
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

Death-row inmate Troy Anthony Davis filed a last-ditch appeal Tuesday to the U.S. Supreme Court, and a rally to protest his execution was held Tuesday night at the state Capitol.

The rally was organized by Amnesty International.

Davis’ attorneys asked the high court to send Davis’ case back to a federal judge for an evidentiary hearing on his innocence claims. He was convicted of killing a Savannah police officer 20 years ago.

“Davis’ new evidence eviscerates the state’s case against him,” the filing said. “Despite substantial new evidence of his innocence, no court has ever held a hearing to assess the scores of new witnesses that show Mr. Davis is innocent.”

Davis, 40, sits on death row for the killing of off-duty Officer Mark Allen MacPhail. The 27-year-old former Army ranger was shot three times before he could draw his weapon. He was responding to the wails of a man being pistol whipped in a Burger King parking lot.

Since Davis’ 1991 trial, seven of nine state witnesses have recanted their testimony and other witnesses have implicated Sylvester “Redd” Coles as the shooter. Coles was at the scene at the time of the shooting and the first person to implicate Davis in the killing.
http://www.ajc.com/traffic/content/metr … ppeal.html
So read the article and decide should the execution be followed through with or not? Personally I love Angry Whoopers.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470
I don't think the government has a right to kill anyone.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Rapist, pedos, terrorist, traitors, spies, child raping terrorist spies? Nobody at all ever?
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6661|BC, Canada
If the witnesses have recanted their testimony, they should probably hear out his case. One thing I am against though, is keeping someone in jail for 20 years if your gonna execute them. Give them a few, say up to 5 years to prove their innocence and then execute if they can't, don't waste the tax payers money for another 15...

Last edited by Nic (2009-05-20 17:38:21)

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6455|The Twilight Zone

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

I know it sounds harsh but I disagree. Some really deserve to die but I voted no anyway. Why? Well I'm deeply religious (don't flame plz) and believe his time will come, if not in this life in the next for sure
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone
substantial new evidence of his innocence

Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5599|Vacationland

Macbeth wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Rapist, pedos, terrorist, traitors, spies, child raping terrorist spies? Nobody at all ever?
It's not our right to play god, even if I highly doubt there is one.  I think life in prison is enough of a punishment
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
Still prefer hard labour.
And if someone is falsely convicted its pretty hard to compensate them once they are dead.

The death penalty doesn't seem to be a deterrent so I don't see the point.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6225|Escea

If he had only shot the cop once, maybe you could say it wasn't really intended (if you get my meaning) but three times gives a pretty clear indication of what he was trying to do.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6661|BC, Canada

M.O.A.B wrote:

If he had only shot the cop once, maybe you could say it wasn't really intended (if you get my meaning) but three times gives a pretty clear indication of what he was trying to do.
Since Davis’ 1991 trial, seven of nine state witnesses have recanted their testimony and other witnesses have implicated Sylvester “Redd” Coles as the shooter. Coles was at the scene at the time of the shooting and the first person to implicate Davis in the killing.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

Macbeth wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Death Penalty doesn't work. Just talk about the cost it takes to kill someone, all the trials upon trials. It generally costs less to incarcerate someone for their entire lives than it does to kill someone.
Then take into account the fact that the death penalty isn't a deterrent as it is supposed to be.
THEN take into account that studies have shown that the state killing a guilty person does nothing to console the victim's family and in some cases is more damaging.
THEN take into account the fact that wrongfully convicted people are often executed.

It's all bollocks. I agree there are scum who deserve to die but not by death penalty, just by a brick to the back of the head. Bam. No fuss, only a little muss. The beauty of this system is that the ones who deserve to be hit with a brick make themselves painfully obvious.

*ahem*

Anyway, I think if there's the slightest shadow of a doubt that the state should not be able to execute anyone. There is clearly doubt here in this case. The thing is he's exhausted all his appeals, all he can do is argue that his crime doesn't warrant the death penalty - he can't argue his innocence. It's a flaw in the system really. It requires a lot more than just a few witnesses taking back their testimony or the accusal of another person for the courts to reconsider Davis' conviction.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Bull3t
stephen brule
+83|6304
No, As far as I know there is no hard evidence linking him to the murder.

My local source says that that night on 89 he was in the crowd watching when another homeless man shot the police officer.

This guy is in my town, I swear he use to be my janitor when I went to school he looks like em. lol
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6698|NJ
Does anyone know what an Off Duty Police officer is???

He's a civilian, I understand that they carry guns when off duty. Which is a good thing because they might have to protect themselves. But even if he was shot and killed it shouldn't have been a Murdering a police officer..

Also a revenge killing from the system is not the right way to handle this.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Does anyone know what an Off Duty Police officer is???

He's a civilian, I understand that they carry guns when off duty. Which is a good thing because they might have to protect themselves. But even if he was shot and killed it shouldn't have been a Murdering a police officer..

Also a revenge killing from the system is not the right way to handle this.
Very true. Even then everyone is equal under the law. It shouldn't matter if the dude who got killed was a police officer or not, technically even if the guy who was killed was a 90 year old in the last stages of cancer the sentance should be the same. It never is obviously, the courts do take everything into account. Still, we like to think that we think that "all lives are worth the same". What bollocks.

It does seem in this case that the sentance was particularly harsh because the victim was a police officer. If the victim was just Joe Public I doubt it would have been a death row sentance.

Comparing death row sentances is a confusing task. You get people in there who are on death row for raping someone, then you get someone who raped ten people serving a lesser sentance.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
BVC
+325|6697
Logic time

A, B, C = evidence for, given by persons A, B and C
D = evidence against, given by person D
E = we can prove that he did it

1. If (A & B & C) & (not D) then E
2. A, B, C, -D
3. 1, 2 therefore E

but later the premises change, so...

1. If (A & B & C) & (not D) then E
2. A,  (not B),  (not C), D
3. 1, 2 therefore (not E)

Last edited by Pubic (2009-05-21 14:01:14)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

DrunkFace wrote:

substantial new evidence of his innocence
Yep.
Sturgeon
+488|4943|Flintshire
Isn't he due to be executed today?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
13/f/taiwan
+940|5701
there was a parole hearing on monday but the state refused to give him clemency. he was due to be executed today but the supreme court delayed it at the last minute.

fuck the state of georgia.
Sturgeon
+488|4943|Flintshire
It seems it is temporarily delayed

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/se … on-delayed

The execution of Troy Davis was delayed temporarily by the US supreme court on Wednesday night in a dramatic intervention just as he was due to be put to death by lethal injection.

The last-minute decision caused confusion outside the prison in Jackson, Georgia, where family, supporters and civil rights campaigners broke into celebration as they believed the court had granted Davis a stay of execution.

But it quickly emerged that the delay was only temporary, while the justices considered whether to issue a stay.
Sturgeon
+488|4943|Flintshire
Bit of background info;

Troy Davis was convicted of murdering a Georgia police officer in 1991. Nearly two decades later, Davis remains on death row — even though the case against him has fallen apart.

The case against him consisted entirely of witness testimony which contained inconsistencies even at the time of the trial. Since then, all but two of the state's non-police witnesses from the trial have recanted or contradicted their testimony.

Many of these witnesses have stated in sworn affidavits that they were pressured or coerced by police into testifying or signing statements against Troy Davis.

One of the two witnesses who has not recanted his testimony is Sylvester "Red" Coles — the principle alternative suspect, according to the defense, against whom there is new evidence implicating him as the gunman. Nine individuals have signed affidavits implicating Sylvester Coles.
http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/cases/usa-troy-davis
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5704|College Park, MD
I don't really support the death penalty so no.

e: It sounds like the whole trial was done really poorly too.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2011-09-21 16:40:58)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

Null vote. Case should be reviewed. He may well still be executed.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6692|Tampa Bay Florida
Nail biting suspense here
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

I still love angry whoppers
El Beardo
steel woolly mammoth
+150|5722|Gulf Coast

Dilbert_X wrote:

Still prefer hard labour.
And if someone is falsely convicted its pretty hard to compensate them once they are dead.
this^

If we had an infallible justice system and could be 100% confident with every ruling it would be one thing to suggest the death penalty. Since that will never happen hard labor seems like a much more productive alternative that still keeps murderers etc. off the streets and makes their life hell all at the same time.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard