Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Discuss.
13rin
Member
+977|4794
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124235632936122739.html

                         https://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2009/May/Week3/15284794.jpg


If true (God I hope so <-hehe) -it kinda invalidates relegion.

Gautam Naik wrote:

In what could prove to be a landmark discovery, a leading paleontologist said scientists have dug up the 47 million-year-old fossil of an ancient primate whose features suggest it could be the common ancestor of all later monkeys, apes and humans.

Anthropologists have long believed that humans evolved from ancient ape-like ancestors. Some 50 million years ago, two ape-like groups walked the Earth. One is known as the tarsidae, a precursor of the tarsier, a tiny, large-eyed creature that lives in Asia. Another group is known as the adapidae, a precursor of today's lemurs in Madagascar.

Based on previously limited fossil evidence, one big debate had been whether the tarsidae or adapidae group gave rise to monkeys, apes and humans. The latest discovery bolsters the less common position that our ancient ape-like ancestor was an adapid, the believed precursor of lemurs.

A fossil discovery suggests humans may be descended from an animal that resembles present-day lemurs like this one.
Philip Gingerich, president-elect of the Paleontological Society in the U.S., has co-written a paper that will detail next week the latest fossil discovery in Public Library of Science, a peer-reviewed, online journal.

"This discovery brings a forgotten group into focus as a possible ancestor of higher primates," Mr. Gingerich, a professor of paleontology at the University of Michigan, said in an interview.

The discovery has little bearing on a separate paleontological debate centering on the identity of a common ancestor of chimps and humans, which could have lived about six million years ago and still hasn't been found. That gap in the evolution story is colloquially referred to as the "missing link" controversy. In reality, though, all gaps in the fossil record are technically "missing links" until filled in, and many scientists say the term is meaningless.

Nonetheless, the latest fossil find is likely to ignite further the debate between evolutionists who draw conclusions based on a limited fossil record, and creationists who don't believe that humans, monkeys and apes evolved from a common ancestor.

Scientists won't necessarily agree about the details either. "Lemur advocates will be delighted, but tarsier advocates will be underwhelmed" by the new evidence, says Tim White, a paleontologist at the University of California, Berkeley. "The debate will persist."

The skeleton will be unveiled at New York City's American Museum of Natural History next Tuesday by Mayor Michael Bloomberg and an international team involved in the discovery.

According to Prof. Gingerich, the fossilized remains are of a young female adapid. The skeleton was unearthed by collectors about two years ago and has been kept tightly under wraps since then, in an unusual feat of scientific secrecy.

Prof. Gingerich said he had twice examined the adapid skeleton, which was "a complete, spectacular fossil." The completeness of the preserved skeleton is crucial, because most previously found fossils of ancient primates were small finds, such as teeth and jawbones.

It was found in the Messel Shale Pit, a disused quarry near Frankfurt, Germany. The pit has long been a World Heritage Site and is the source of a number of well-preserved fossils from the middle Eocene epoch, some 50 million years ago.

Prof. Gingerich said several scientists, including Jorn Hurum of Norway's National History Museum, had inspected the fossil with computer tomography scanning, a sophisticated X-ray technique that can provide detailed, cross-sectional views. Dr. Hurum declined to comment.

Although the creature looks like a lemur, there are some distinctive physical differences. Lemurs have a tooth comb (a tooth modified to help groom fur); a grooming claw; and a wet nose. Dr. Gingerich said that the adapid skeleton has neither a grooming claw nor a tooth comb. "We can't say whether it had a wet nose or not," he noted.

Since the fossilized creature found in Germany didn't have features like a tooth comb or grooming claw, it could be argued that it gave rise to monkeys, apes and humans, which don't have these features either.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World- … t_Ancestor


It this pans out, how does relegion explain or absorb this factual, scientific discovery?

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2009-05-19 08:11:35)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,760|4468|what

DBBrinson1 wrote:

It this pans out, how does relegion explain or absorb this factual, scientific discovery?
The same way it explained the Earth being the centre of the universe.

And the same way it explained dinosaur fossils.

It won't.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png

"coz you a far cry from acclaim nigga ubisoft"
Zukabazuka
Member
+23|5000
Like they always do.

Refuse to believe it and keep preaching about god. And as always they want more proof.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|4996|Disaster Free Zone

Zukabazuka wrote:

Like they always do.

Refuse to believe it and keep preaching about god. And as always they want more proof.
Yeh too bad they can't produce any proof God exists, let alone 'more'.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|4538|Escea

It'll be a test don't ya know, which will then be swiftly ignored.
PureFodder
Member
+225|4600
This won't change anything. People who didn't believe the mountinous piles of evidence that already exist won't be swayed by another piece.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,609|4936|London, England
Intelligent design gets kicked in the nuts
Because Intelligent design wasn't already on the floor knocked out cold!








Ricky Hatton style!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,760|4468|what



Worth the watch. Trust me.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png

"coz you a far cry from acclaim nigga ubisoft"
Ioan92
Member
+337|4037

DrunkFace wrote:

Zukabazuka wrote:

Like they always do.

Refuse to believe it and keep preaching about god. And as always they want more proof.
Yeh too bad they can't produce any proof God exists, let alone 'more'.

AussieReaper wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

It this pans out, how does relegion explain or absorb this factual, scientific discovery?
The same way it explained the Earth being the centre of the universe.

And the same way it explained dinosaur fossils.

It won't.
I say we vote a law to execute a ban on religion and life prison if you break the rule. This is getting ridiculous.

Its like you see a guy who thinks he is a woman but with all the proof given to him, his dick, still refuses the fucking fact.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|4974|BC, Canada

AussieReaper wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_EXqdJ4L7I

Worth the watch. Trust me.
yeah... love that one.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|4980|NT, like Mick Dundee

AussieReaper wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_EXqdJ4L7I

Worth the watch. Trust me.
I'd karma if I could.
Australian culture is about two things, football and racism.

I never know what to kick.
Ioan92
Member
+337|4037

AussieReaper wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_EXqdJ4L7I

Worth the watch. Trust me.
Reminds me of the guy doing acts at the split sides comedy club in GTA IV's Manhattan.

...

Oh wait its him! lolololol

Last edited by Ioan92 (2009-05-19 10:35:45)

Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|4955|Your moms bedroom

AussieReaper wrote:

It won't.
Heh,

Q. How do you explain something to someone who believes in something they cannot touch, see, hear, smell or taste

A. Convince them to give you money and youll solve their problems when their dead
Zefar
Member
+116|4964|Sweden

Ioan92 wrote:

I say we vote a law to execute a ban on religion and life prison if you break the rule. This is getting ridiculous.

Its like you see a guy who thinks he is a woman but with all the proof given to him, his dick, still refuses the fucking fact.
Good luck getting through that law in the USA where 60% of the country believe in Noahs ark story.

Anyway I doubt this will lead anywhere other than Scientist themself get smarter.

Hopefully it will actually do something. But religious people have this bad habbit of ignoring EVERYTHING you say. Then directly ask again for more proof.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|4309|Truthistan
"how does relegion explain or absorb this factual, scientific discovery?"

God is testing our faith because the earth is only 6000 years old... How do we know that the earth is only 6000 years old? Because God made it so. And the faithful will see through this test. /sarcasm (obviously)

This won't change any minds. The only thing that will change minds is a change in the teachings from the pulpit. But that won't happen as long as the herders see advantage in cutting their flock from mainstream thought.

I am curious though, we always hear about the southern baptist take on evolution/creationism, but I wonder what the take on monkeys to man and dinosaur fossils is in the Muslim world. Do they have the same schism?
13rin
Member
+977|4794

Diesel_dyk wrote:

"how does relegion explain or absorb this factual, scientific discovery?"

God is testing our faith because the earth is only 6000 years old... How do we know that the earth is only 6000 years old? Because God made it so. And the faithful will see through this test. /sarcasm (obviously)

This won't change any minds. The only thing that will change minds is a change in the teachings from the pulpit. But that won't happen as long as the herders see advantage in cutting their flock from mainstream thought.

I am curious though, we always hear about the southern baptist take on evolution/creationism, but I wonder what the take on monkeys to man and dinosaur fossils is in the Muslim world. Do they have the same schism?
I dunno ask the resident muslim here...
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Balok77
Member
+28|4463
Ummm not that I'm into the who religious preaching and what not, but this doesn't alter new age Christians views of how the world was created. Many Christians believed that God created evolution thusly that animal is merely and example of Gods bigger picture. It doesn't discount a newer view of religion merely the old idea that the earth is only a few thousand years old which is pretty much ignored by many religious people.
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|4841|Milkystania, yurop
Wouldn't surprise me if some student is sitting in his dorm room snickering over the joke
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|4864|UK

DBBrinson1 wrote:

If true (God I hope so <-hehe) -it kinda invalidates relegion.
How exactly?

DBBrinson1 wrote:

It this pans out, how does relegion explain or absorb this factual, scientific discovery?
You see people mocking creationists all the time, with the, zomg there so stupid why cant they accept it.  Half the reason is people such as yourself.  It's a red herring.  Evolution doesnt in anyway ''invalidate'' the truth (or lack of if you are so inclined) of the christian faith and it never will no matter how much you pray for it.

You falsey build evolution up as being some sort of falcon punch to religion and then wonder why the religious are so opposed to it?

Sweet jesus


Martyn
13rin
Member
+977|4794

Bell wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

If true (God I hope so <-hehe) -it kinda invalidates relegion.
How exactly?
Invalidates Creationism.

Bell wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

It this pans out, how does relegion explain or absorb this factual, scientific discovery?
You see people mocking creationists all the time, with the, zomg there so stupid why cant they accept it.  Half the reason is people such as yourself.  It's a red herring.  Evolution doesnt in anyway ''invalidate'' the truth (or lack of if you are so inclined) of the christian faith and it never will no matter how much you pray for it.

You falsey build evolution up as being some sort of falcon punch to religion and then wonder why the religious are so opposed to it?

Sweet jesus

Martyn
Evolution does invalidate any relegion where those who beleive in creationism.  If god didn't *poof* make people, then....

Sweet jesus yourself.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|4864|UK

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Bell wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

If true (God I hope so <-hehe) -it kinda invalidates relegion.
How exactly?
Invalidates Creationism.

Bell wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

It this pans out, how does relegion explain or absorb this factual, scientific discovery?
You see people mocking creationists all the time, with the, zomg there so stupid why cant they accept it.  Half the reason is people such as yourself.  It's a red herring.  Evolution doesnt in anyway ''invalidate'' the truth (or lack of if you are so inclined) of the christian faith and it never will no matter how much you pray for it.

You falsey build evolution up as being some sort of falcon punch to religion and then wonder why the religious are so opposed to it?

Sweet jesus

Martyn
Evolution does invalidate any relegion where those who beleive in creationism.  If god didn't *poof* make people, then....

Sweet jesus yourself.
You seem to think christianity and creationism are one in the same.
13rin
Member
+977|4794

Bell wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Bell wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

If true (God I hope so <-hehe) -it kinda invalidates relegion.
How exactly?
Invalidates Creationism.

Bell wrote:


You see people mocking creationists all the time, with the, zomg there so stupid why cant they accept it.  Half the reason is people such as yourself.  It's a red herring.  Evolution doesnt in anyway ''invalidate'' the truth (or lack of if you are so inclined) of the christian faith and it never will no matter how much you pray for it.

You falsey build evolution up as being some sort of falcon punch to religion and then wonder why the religious are so opposed to it?

Sweet jesus

Martyn
Evolution does invalidate any relegion where those who beleive in creationism.  If god didn't *poof* make people, then....

Sweet jesus yourself.
You seem to think christianity and creationism are one in the same.
No, not really -but I really didn't have the time to be more specific.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|3926|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)
http://www.answersingenesis.org/article … -the-bible

Please do not flame me for this, but I think this makes sense.


Also:  http://www.answersingenesis.org/get-ans … /dinosaurs
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|4915|132 and Bush

Religion does not hate science (although it has in the past). Christian monks were responsible for saving the works of Aristotle. A catholic priest proposed the big bang theory. The church played a major role in creating the modern university system. Nothing in the theory of evolution excludes the existence of a creator. I am not a religious person. I am also not being pretentious with claims of ultimate certainty in any sense.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,747|5086|USA

DBBrinson1 wrote:

If true (God I hope so <-hehe) -it kinda invalidates relegion.
Eh, you're underestimating the adaptability of religion.

Kmarion wrote:

I am also not being pretentious with claims of ultimate certainty in any sense.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-05-19 14:39:11)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2019 Jeff Minard