unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

I think I hit my first major Vista issue. I just watched my free disk space go from 37GB out of 222GB to 0MB within minutes of doing nothing. Never encountered anything like it with any other operating system. Sound familiar to anyone?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Alright, finding similar reports via Google, but no solution has been offered.
jsnipy
+3,276|6523|...

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Sound familiar to anyone?
Not to me. Try booting from cd or key using pebuilder or knoppix  and where the disk space went to.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6716
have you tried  CC cleaner?
http://www.ccleaner.com/

and deleting some or all of the system restore checkpoints?

http://liveslick.com/2007/09/03/is-vist … ive-space/

Here is a way to limit the size of your saved system restore files...
http://www.ghacks.net/2007/04/25/change … ows-vista/

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-05-14 22:08:36)

Love is the answer
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

It's done, guys (I hope). I'd already deleted excess files and ran various scanners, but they came up with nothing. Instead, I went with a gut feeling (ignoring online solutions that involved ripping everything apart) and simply scheduled chkdsk for the next boot.

It worked, but I seem to have few gigabytes of free space missing from when it was last in good condition, so I'll scan again later. I can't say I've been completely pleased with the Vaio, but it's what landed in my lap. You have to maintain the thing like tooth decay and it doesn't even have eSATA or a good old-fashioned RJ-45 socket.

At least I got some progress into Super Mario Galaxy while waiting for it to sort itself out.

jsnipy: Thanks for the knoppix link. I didn't even know about it.
cat: Yeah, Vista keeps re-enabling restore points and indexing somehow. I keep shutting them off, but the loss of that quantity of space before my very eyes went above and beyond.

Edit: I'm guessing that from various descriptions of the issue and solutions offered, this particular quirk may have more than one cause. I guess I got off easy, deprived a night of Left 4 Dead.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-05-14 23:49:13)

GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6414|Finland

Delete hibernation files, disable restorepoints = no free space eaten up

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-05-15 04:20:03)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Nessie09
I "fix" things
+107|6670|The Netherlands
It happened to me once, was a program that created a log file of several GB until all space was depleted. Check such programs.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Delete hibernation files, disable restorepoints = no free space eaten up
Already done. They weren't taking up that much space, though.

Nessie09 wrote:

It happened to me once, was a program that created a log file of several GB until all space was depleted. Check such programs.
That's a possible explaination for the symptom, but I don't think chkdsk would've erased it.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-05-15 15:20:33)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard